1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight no longer on market: Let's help Orlando

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mrjohn, Dec 14, 2011.

1. mrjohn

mrjohn Member

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/7...taking-dwight-howard-trade-offers-sources-say

It is quite possible they trade him at a later date but it looks like they will go in this year. And possibly lose Dwight for essentially nothing ala Cleveland with lebron. Just like Cleveland, their picks for the next 2 years would be really valuable - whether d12 leaves as an FA or a SnT.

So let's help them go all in this year for their 2013 and 2014 first rounders.

Hypothetical trade:

Luis Scola (starting PF), Kevin Martin (starting SG), Hasheem Thabeet (backup C), Goran Dragic and rights to Sergio Llull for Ryan Andersen, Hedo Turkuglu, JJR, Daniel Orton, Chris Duhon, rights to Fran Vasquez and 2013 & 2014 unprotected first rounders. Note: this trade would reduce our payroll by 3 million this year.

For them, they would have a contender for this year. We get a nice stretch 4 in Andersen, a decent backup in JJ, a dice roll in Hedo: could be a defensive upgrade at sf, second ball handler in starting 5, and decent 3rd or 4th option or he could be Hedo of last year. Either way, it's a contract u have to take. Orton is another project big because Thabeet is hopeless? Duhon is ehh but that means we can get a true look at Flynn at backup pg. Apparently, Vasquez wants to come to the NBA next year or that's at least what I read somewhere. Ohmss or someone can tell us how bad he is but another C prospect. The following statement would be true: We would get to keep our pick for next years draft as a result of trade, the magic picks would be gold, or Both. The trade would definitely set us back this year but it would be worth it come draft time. Also, minutes at both guard spots would be open as a result of trade meaning we could take a look at Lee and T-will with meaningful minutes. And if have no shot at playoffs towards midseason they Morris would get quality minutes. Pat Pat and Andersen at PF is amazingly solid. And at C we have the Hill, Orton, samhan, Smith smorgasbord of youth.

What do you think?

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I like the idea of trading our older players for future picks.

DD

3. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

I don't even think you would have to throw in Lull. We are giving them two solid players to try to contend and keep Dwight and taking back their worst contract. I don't think it would be necessary to include Lull in this situation.

4. cod

cod Member

Yeah, Turkeyglue and Duhon's contracts.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. da_juice

da_juice Member

My only complaint is that we'd be taking on a terrible contract in Turkoglu, while giving the Magic pieces to potentially keep Howard and win, thus keeping the picks low.

6. mrjohn

mrjohn Member

PG: Lowry, Flynn, Duhon
    SG: Lee, JJ, T-will
    SF: Hedo, bud, Morris, Twill, Parsons
    PF: Andersen, patterson, Morris, Parsons
    C: Hill, Orton, Smith, samhan

That's one guy too many? Buyout / cut Duhon. If not, do it anyway? Add Lin?

+ picks and rights to Vasquez

7. mrjohn

mrjohn Member

Lol. Taking on those contracts would help unleash T-will, Morris, Lee, Parsons, etc if we decide to waive or buy them out or just choose not to play them. As currently constructed, those guys won't get enough minutes to properly evaluate them IMO.

8. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

I think you should have posted this in the Random Trade Ideas Thread. Nothing about your post warrants a new thread.

9. mrjohn

mrjohn Member

Valid complaint. I would counter that this trade almost assures us the we will get to keep our pick this year instead of sending it to NJ. Also, if that team does not get past the 2nd round Dwight would be a goner. That's a sick team and it would really give him peace if they didn't advance further than that to bolt via SnT or FA.

In theory, Turk could be an upgrade in D and offensive creation compared to Bud. We have to take his contract if we give them scola and martin.

10. mrjohn

mrjohn Member

Ok, so we keep Llull. Makes sense too if Flynn is a bust and since we traded Dragic.

Any of our international league watchers have an opinion on Fran Vasquez.

11. da_juice

da_juice Member

No way is Turk an upgrade on defense, and given his age and questionable work ethic, he probably won't be much better on offense.

He's the real dead weight on this deal.

12. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

If you're helping Orlando keep Dwight beyond this year, then you're guaranteeing that their 2013 and 2014 picks will be pretty much worthless. Remember how we used to talk about how the early second round picks were more valuable than the late firsts because of the lack of a guaranteed contract? Yeah.

We're stuck in a really hard spot now because the "assets" we do have can only go to contending teams, who in turn don't have any of the "assets" we want, namely valuable picks or trade commodities.

13. mrjohn

mrjohn Member

Okay so they give us $3million in cash to take him. If he's a bum, that's fine. We get to play T-will, Morris, bud, parsons.

We need to see what our youth got and this trade allows that to happen.

14. mrjohn

mrjohn Member

We are helping them contend this year - which is why we don't want their 2012 pick. However, if Dwight leaves them those picks are gold. And the trade assures us of a top 10 pick in this draft for ourselves. Either way we get to draft a stud!

15. AB83Rules

AB83Rules Member

wouldnt be bad since we get a few 1st's, plus Anderson has a qualifying offer in 2012-2013, Orton has a Team Option for 2012-2013, Reddick and Duhon dont make much, and we could wait to amnesty a player, use it on Hedo next yr.

16. da_juice

da_juice Member

@AB, don't think we can amnesty turkoglu, even if we wait

17. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

Oh my goodness, I really forgot how silly all of this "let's do this and trade him and then get him and him and then do this and then do that and then trade for him and buyout him and... on and on and on and on and on and on and on....."!!! gheez does it ever stop?

I mean when do you give the roster you have a chance to play together and then you see what you have and where you need to try and improve? We tried to make a trade and it didn't go through. So here we are. This is our team for now. Please stop creating all these new threads with all these fantasized trade proposals! NONE of the stuff you put out there would work anyway. I probably shouldn't have replied to this but I im just tired of seeing these 'NEW' threads with 20 different moves to make it work. Be realistic people.

18. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

I highly doubt that Dwight Howard would ever consider Houston:

He's said he doesn't want to follow Shaq, fine. I bet he certainly wouldn't want to follow in Hakeem's footsteps!

if he came here I can see the criticism/expectations/comparisons that he would face, what with Olajuwon being our greatest player of all time. of all time. Constantly being overshadowed by Hakeem's accomplishments would certainly get old quick.

Yeah, he's not coming here...

19. roadmatter

roadmatter Member

Hedo is too Old and too slow to help our young players in defense

20. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

Reddick still makes $6 million next year, but still.