1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Dwight is done as an elite player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Nov 29, 2015.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He is just not the same player anymore, his offense is beyond terrible, he can still rebound and get alley oops, but he has zero touch, doesn't have to be double teamed anymore.

The Rockets would be fools to re-sign him unless it is for an Asik like role - and I am not sure he would accept it.

His post game is so bad, so stiff, has no touch, and players don't fear him on defense any longer.

If Morey has to move Dwight this year, I won't lose a wink of sleep.

DD

2. hoopball

hoopball Member

i've been saying this for a while now but nobody believed me. even his defense is below average now. no reason to keep him anymore.

3. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Hate to say it. But Capela is looking a better player on both ends of the court.

Capela / Dmo is the future

Trade Dwight and rest of the bench for Cousins

4. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

I fear he won't opt out. I really just want to develop Clint and get a legit 4 next to him.

5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

This has been known. Glad he is expiring next year. Though the chances are high he's gonna screw us and pick up his option

6. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Dwight is def not elite anymore. I agree.

Here is the funny part... he averages around 12-13 points, 13 rebs? That will still give him 15-18 mill a year in todays NBA market for a center. I would just move on. This team needs a makeover.

7. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

He was never elite in Houston

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

Dwight's been done as an elite player for some time now. Now merely just "OK" or "good".

<<script type="text/javascript" src="http://widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=bbr&url=%2Fplayers%2Fh%2Fhowardw01.html&div=div_per_game"></script>script type="text/javascript" src="http://widgets.sports-reference.com/wg.fcgi?css=1&site=bbr&url=%2Fplayers%2Fh%2Fhowardw01.html&div=div_totals"></script>

9. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Howard came into the league as Shaq-lite. The old rules and officiating let him play bulky ball all game long. No more. Dude now needs all those skills he never developed.

10. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

will the Cavs have the money to sign him next season?

11. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

When was the last time he had a superstar-like game? Game 1 against portland two years ago?

I'm mostly just exhausted of him turning the ball over (getting stripped in the post) and missing simple hook shots.

12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

It's time to start thinking about trading him. The season is lost. If you can get a nice draft pick for him, take it and run. The window has closed for this era.

13. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

He's had a dozen or so since then but he's too damn inconsistent.

14. WestendMassive

It's amazing he's been in the NBA for so long but still hasn't developed any sort of shooting touch.

Can't hit a 15 footer, can't hit a turnaround jumper, hasn't even got a soft touch on his hook shots.

It's layup/dunk or bust for Dwight, and now that he can't just jump over everybody he's struggling.

15. Rox11

Rox11 Member

That is an exaggeration. The moves he was getting blocked on were just not moves he usually does. His only go to move it a lefty good or a up and under.

I do not need to tell you he can still jump....watch the game

The season is still young and dmo will change a lot of things.

The most important thing is getting a new offensive system implemented.

16. Newlin

Newlin Member

He's a good backup for Clint. But not for the money.

17. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think he's been elite since the back injury. Closest was his first year in Houston.

He is still very good as a rim protector, rebounder and lob finisher. I think he still has a role on this team, but I would not give him the money he probably wants.

Around 13-15 million with the new cap sounds okay, with a declining pay scale.

18. rocketseagles07

Lots of us have been saying that. It's not a knock on Dwight I think he busts his a** and he's a great guy (which I didn't think before he came) but he can't be your second best player. He's also terrible at guarding the shooter on the pick and roll because he REFUSES to step out

19. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

He was pretty damn decent just last PlayOffs.. Or so I thought.

20. ksny15

ksny15 Member

It's pretty obvious now Capela > Dwight