1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight Howard post-ups producing 0.78 PPP.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RudyTBag, Dec 15, 2017.

1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I was going to say that.

Thank about this. Dwight is strong and more athletic, and can finish better than Capela. How much more effective he could be if he just played Capela's role on the Rockets!

2. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

[​IMG]

s3ts, heypartner and hakeem94 like this.
  3. OTMax

OTMax Member

Exactly! Dwight should have been much better than DJ the last few years, but he hasn't been.

4. Jontro

Jontro Member

he ended up having too much fun and forgot about his game.

5. Sidarma

Sidarma Member

Thats cold bro ;)o_O:D:cool:

6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

hahaha...i honestly believe that, perhaps the numbers werent there but i am speaking of what he was able to do, i remember that toronto game his first non garbage time he had instant chemistry with harden and was dunking hard everything in sight but of course coaches were later giving dwight plays possesions and all because he was our star...even his fts were good after that starting horrible streak.... sure they had that rainbow arch but who cares when he was hitting them...

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

Lol did you really watch Capela? He only became serviceable during the end of the regular season. Prior to that everybody was calling him a bust.

8. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Nah. It was pretty obvious he was good after the pre-season ended. Bballholic and some other morons just posted enough to make it seem like the majority of clutch fans agreed.

9. cebu

cebu Member

they dont have a lot of options.

10. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I am so grateful I will never have to watch Dwight turn it over on attempted post up again (in a Rockets jersey). Those used to kill me. And if he were here he'd still think he should get to post up every possession despite Harden iso's being almost doubly effective.

#30 Williamson, Dec 16, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
    hakeem94, s3ts and RudyTBag like this.
  11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I've never been a Dwight hater, even now. I don't dislike the guy.

But his career is most certainly a disappointment. If he had played to his strengths, instead of demanding to be a guy he simply wasn't, his team's results would have been so much better. With his defensive prowess, his crazy length, his quickness. He could have been a 16/13 guy on championship contenders. But he just needed those post touches.

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yeah ok. Capela looked so good he logged 18 mins combined in his first 70 games. You're just lying through your teeth now.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/capelca01/gamelog/2015/

13. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

And it keeps getting worse :

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/...ussell-westbrook-andrew-wiggins-atlanta-hawks

Dwight Howard Post-ups
    This one is sad in the same fashion as the second Peverell brother’s resurrection stone; every plodding post-up from Howard, now languishing in Charlotte, is a dim reminder of his formerly bright self. Unlike with Wiggins or the Thunder, the sorrow Howard induces speaks to the past, rather than the present or future. Laugh at him (or with him) now, on his third team in three seasons, but Howard was a menace in Orlando — even on offense, as Stan Van Gundy’s four-out, 3-happy squad razed the league nearly a decade before that strategy was the norm.

Except for one bounce-back season in Houston, though, Howard’s post-up efficiency has steadily eroded since he and Van Gundy split. In Charlotte this year, Howard scores the second-fewest points per possession and has the highest turnover rateamong all players with at least 100 post-up possessions. He also no longer represents a secondary threat who warps defensive rotations and opens shooting lanes for teammates, as his passing numbers (which are included in the below graph) have plummeted as well. The season that Orlando made the Finals, Howard’s passes out of the post yielded 1.44 points per possession; this year, that number has fallen by nearly half, to 0.77.

14. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

15. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

People keep comparing him to DeAndre Jordan or even Clint Capela. That is way off the mark.

Howard is FHoFer. The others aren't. Jordan and Capella are just good role players. Howard is or was a superstar.

Exiled likes this.