1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight Howard is a terrible post up player

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by LBJ-Tmac, Apr 17, 2013.

1. LBJ-Tmac

LBJ-Tmac Member

Seriously lakers are stupid not to be posting up Gasol everytime instead of Howard.

His fundamentals are not good he can't score with any post move if the defender has position and his hands straight up.

The only time he scores off post ups most of the time is when he is able to get good position and bulldoze under the ring and go straight up.

But I think he is seriously probably only 40% or less on straight post ups.

If Howard didn't have an ego he'd let Gasol be the primary post up player and he'd clean up everything on the weak side.

I don't get why he focuses so much on his post ups instead of concentrating on his strengths and athleticism utilising the pick and roll.

So stupid.

2. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

I think thats on Gasol more than Howard... Nobody is telling his goofy azz to stand 20 ft from the goal..... Beat Howard down the floor and post the hell up.... Im sure they would go through him then.....

3. izeroi

izeroi Member

Gasol seems like he's having trouble with Smith and his physicalness

4. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Softie Gasol was getting owned by Greg Smith.

5. ceonwuka

ceonwuka Member

Yea but his length is putting him in position for tip backs and rebounds over our Mr. Smith

6. amaru

amaru Member

Well.........Smith is Country Ox Strong lol

7. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Not enough space for both to be posting up and nobody is going to guard Dwight more than 10 feet from the goal. Pau is 20 feet way to give Dwight spacing.

8. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

Say what you want, but McHale is doubling Dwight.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Dwight is not a terrible post player overall. You can argue he's terrible compared to what he should be. His fundamentals aren't that good and there is no excuse for that since he's been in the NBA 9 years.

10. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

Never understood the hate for Gasol. That guy is gooood.

11. Jontro

Jontro Member

Well Dwight's been scoring on our bigs with both hands tonight.

12. TheShooter

TheShooter Member

He is not a great post up player but he his defensif presence under the rim completely changes the game. His presence really intimidated our players and prevented a lot of layups.

13. rhino17

rhino17 Member

He is a terrible post up player. Its amazing that he has been in the league for almost a decade now and his offensive game in the post is still at the level of a high schooler. My roommates and I were laughing at how foolish he looked with the ball in the post tonighy

14. SunsRocketsfan

He still ended up with a tripple double

15. awc713

awc713 Member

i agree pau has better low post moves...but hes also SO MUCH BETTER at the top of the key. you cant put dwight at the top of the key...so they kind of have to put him down low.

16. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

I would still wholeheartedly take Dwight

17. Jontro

Jontro Member

I think I'm in the minority here. I'd risk it with Asik instead of Dwight. After the drama he caused in Orlando... his head isn't in the right place IMO. Also after seeing him sulk his way through the first half of the season, I'd rather go with Asik and have Mauri focus on filling our other needs.

18. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Gasol in the high post directing traffic, and Howard on the low post grabbing rebounds and putting back dunks is just a nasty combination. I can't believe it took D'Antoni 82 games to realize how powerful of a combo they make. Freaking moron.

19. Jontro

Jontro Member

Maybe that Kobe injury light up some light bulbs. Also Jamison stepped up tonight. All in all, their bigs outperformed ours. I mean any big would slap Delfino around on offense.

20. ribbit

ribbit Member

I'm with you. Stick with Asik, and get LMAldridge.

On topic, I remember 3 post-up plays by Howard where Asik made him look silly.