1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight Howard incurred stress fracture during playoffs

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by abc2007, Jun 29, 2008.

1. abc2007

abc2007 Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3465434

Howard incurred stress fracture during playoffs, should be fine for Olympics
    By Chris Sheridan
    ESPN.com

LAS VEGAS -- On their one and only day of mini-camp, Team USA was not whole.

Dwight Howard was forced to sit out practice Saturday due to a stress fracture of his sternum, an injury he sustained during the Orlando Magic's second round playoff loss to the Detroit Pistons.

"It's a six to eight week recovery time, and this is the sixth week," said Team USA coach Mike Krzyzewski, who expects Howard to be fully healed by the time the team reconvenes for training camp July 21.

Still, the injury is worrisome for the Americans, who are planning to go to Beijing with just three big men -- Howard, Chris Bosh and Carlos Boozer. If Howard were to aggravate the injury, that lack of front-line depth could become a major issue.

Howard said he sustained the injury when he collided simultaneously and was sandwiched between Jason Maxiell and Arron Afflalo of the Pistons. Doctors told him it is an injury typically incurred by hockey players.

"It hurts. I haven't been able to really do anything since the playoffs, but it'll be all right," Howard said. "I should be fine by the time we start training camp. That's what the doctor said. So there's no worries for me or the staff."

After holding a private team meeting Friday night, the Americans went through a light practice with little contact Saturday on the campus of UNLV, where they will play their only exhibition game on U.S. soil when they face Canada on July 25. They leave the next day for Asia, with exhibition games planned for Macao and Shanghai before they arrive in Beijing.

The Americans also have another injury to be concerned with -- Kobe Bryant's pinkie finger, which has a turn ligament and an avulsion fracture. He plans to have it surgically repaired after the team returns from China and said he does not expect it to keep him out of Lakers' training camp in October.

"It changes my release. Because it's taped, the way I release the ball is different -- it's choppier," Bryant said. "It hasn't gotten better, it stays the same. I don't feel pain or nothing like that, but if you hit it or jam it, it goes dead for a couple minutes."

Plans for an additional practice Sunday have been scrapped, and the team will instead fly to New York for a promotional tour and to unveil their uniforms. They will then have three weeks to rest before reporting back to Las Vegas for training camp. If any U.S. players are injured prior to the Olympics, they can be replaced on the roster up until Aug. 9 -- but only if the injury is verified by authorities from the International Olympic Committee and the USOC.

2. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Awwww did Mr Kobe hurt his pinky winky?

3. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

It's finally time to just give Yao his lifetime green card and call him an American citizen, while revoking his Chinese papers having him play for us while giving him the summers off to recover when not directly needed. We'll just worry about China Nuking us and destroying all civilization due to basketball after we win the Gold with a real center! ;) As long as we keep Houston safe so we don't lose him.

4. Lovemachine2000

Yao probably already has a green card, and yes it's "lifetime" since its holder is granted permanent residence to the United States. What you want him to do is to revoke his Chinese citizenship, something Yao, a true patriot, would never do. Would you give up your American citizenship to become a citizen of China?

5. yuantian

yuantian Contributing Member

i have a green card. i can't vote. how am i a citizen? :D

6. Grandpappy

Grandpappy Member

Turrible spelling :p