1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Durant and Dirk

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ferrari77, Apr 12, 2014.

1. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

http://espn.go.com/blog/marc-stein/post/_/id/2041/kevin-durants-secret-weapon-dirk-nowitzki

Thought it was a good read. Knew about Durant copying Dirk's one legged fadeaway but didn't know about the workouts with Harrington.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He has a legitimate claim to best player in the league now

3. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

I don't think he does till he wins a title because that will sit there and hang over his head for pundits to argue against him.

4. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Please explain how he's better than Lebron overall.

Rebounding is a wash. Scoring is a wash (Durant is a better jump shooter but Lebron is a more efficient scorer). Then, Lebron is better at every other aspect of basketball. He's a better playmaker, team defender, on-ball defender, higher bball IQ, and a proven winner.

Kevin Durant is an amazing player, the clear cut 2nd best player in the world. But, there's just no evidence to support him as being better than Lebron.

5. Mr. Clutch

LeBron isn't more efficient. Durant scores more with similar efficiency. They both have very high TS% over .630 but Durant scores 5 more ppg. Durant is the better 3pt shooter and gets to the line more.

Durant's defense has improved a lot. His Drtg is actually a little bit better than LeBron's this year.

Also, Durant's improved his passing and now averages over 5 assists.

I'm not saying he is better than LeBron, just that it's arguable. I would still take LeBron for now.

6. DwangBoy

DwangBoy Member

I'd rather have Durant over Lebron because Durant is mentally tougher and will get even better.. lebron has reached his potential.

7. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

a) They both have high TS% but Lebron's is notably higher (.651 vs. .638). Also, the beauty of TS% is that it encompasses 2pt FGs, 3pt FGs, and even foul shots (which KD is also better at). Lebron scores so much more efficiently everywhere else that he is a more efficient scorer overall. Kevin Martin's last couple years with the Kings is a perfect example of this. Despite being a far better 3pt shooter, FT shooter, and getting to the line more, Lebron is still more efficient this season (than those two seasons from kmart) because he scores at will in the paint and on the break.

b) PPG has nothing to do with efficiency. I will agree that Durant scores more abundantly, if that's what you meant.

c) I also agree that Durant has made major strides in defense and playmaking. I'd also take any defensive stat with a grain of salt. They're known to be highly dependent on team and role.

:confused:

You said, "He has a legitimate claim to best player in the league now"

8. Mr. Clutch

a) That is not notably higher. And that's just this year. Careerwise, Durant is more efficient. Last year, Durant was more efficient.

b) I didn't say it did. But It's impressive Durant scores significantly more with almost the same efficiency.

Yes, I said HE has a legitimate claim or argument. I am not personally claiming that. But if someone argued it, I wouldn't say they were crazy.

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I want to say Durant but let's wait til he wins a championship. Dirk's team was not championship material and he was obscene on that run for them.

10. mingthething

mingthething Member

That's great. Time to dust off all the Lebron ringless jokes. Just substitute in Durant.

11. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

When you are a top 3 player in the league and you don't have a title, you'll ALWAYS get harassed (regardless of the sport).

Past inserts: Manning, Randy Johnson, Arod, Andy Murray, and that list goes on and on.

Gotta win titles to be the best, ESPECIALLY in the NBA where 1 player has so much value.

Durant has had WAY more help than Lebron had before Miami also (I will give credit to Durant that he plays in a conference MUCH harder than Lebron did and still does)

12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Tyson Chandler's defense made a huge difference. Once he left, Dirk fell back with a thud.

13. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Lol I'm sure you haven't been watching the Mavericks or Dirk this season if you are really thinking "Dirk fell back with a thud".

14. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Before Chandler came they won 55 games and lost in round 1. With Chandler they won 57 games and the title. The year after Chandler they won 36 games (lockout season) and lost in round 1. They missed the playoffs last year (Dirk was hurt) and are a 7 seed this year. Looks like a "thud" to me.

15. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/cDxG4OKfbvo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

16. DocRock

DocRock Member

1.3% is notably higher :confused:

17. Throttle

Throttle Member

18. RocketScientist

RocketScientist Contributing Member

Dirk and Durant are fun to watch and enemies i admire.

19. WaitForIt

WaitForIt Member

I really want a Thunder vs. Mavs matchup. Dallas won the regular season 2-1 (only 3 games against each other this season).

20. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Um...