1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

duncan opts out of contract...resigns for max

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by verse, Jul 1, 2003.

1. verse

verse Contributing Member

according to local radio, yesterday tim duncan exercised his player option to void the last year of his current contract, thus making him a free agent today, july 1st. as of today, tim duncan is set to resign with the spurs at 7 years, ~$121 million.

this, according to local sportscasters is seen as a sign that jason kidd will be signing with the spurs. the idea being that duncan is showing kidd that he's "in the fold" now, and that it's time for kidd to get "in the fold". personally, i don't see it that way. i think it's duncan doing the financially wise thing for himself.

anyhoo, i didn't see this posted anywhere, so i thought i bring the news. i'll look for links later....

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

3. verse

thanks, heypee. saves me some work. i'm just surprised none of the *spurs faithful started a thread about it.

4. MrSpur

MrSpur Member

Yeah, funny how it was taken as a given when it wasn't supposed to be a few years back. Oh well.

5. OverRRated

OverRRated Member

You said it Spur.
    I even recall myself a couple years ago thinking he would be gone after this season......but he wins a ring.
    :p

6. verse

winning your first championship will do that.

7. MrSpur

MrSpur Member

8. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

Ummm, second championship.

9. T-2

T-2 Contributing Member

If you're really a Rockets fan like me, then you're not a Spurs fan. Thus, you need to get onboard with verse (and Phil Jackson). :)

10. verse

nah, i'm for real. seriously. congratulations on your first real championship. i don't put stock into what sean deveney said about it being an "accidental championship". you guys earned it.

11. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

It did feel weird watching the Spurs finally win one. I mean, Robinson has been waiting for so long, and to see Duncan win a much-derserved Finals MVP was a thrill -- like Hillary Duff always says, you never forget your first. It just would have been a shame to see them pull a Stockton Malone and retire without the feeling of winning it all.

CBFC