1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Duncan Not Happy in SA.......Houston A Possibility?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by F.D. Khan, Apr 17, 2000.

1. F.D. Khan

F.D. Khan Contributing Member

I talked to a friend that worked with the Spurs in the media dept till only a few weeks back. He said that TD was not happy about the age and lack of enthusiasm for the game of the Spurs. In addition to that there have been some internal conflicts this year that have caused the team spirit to falter. His only friend on the Spurs is Antonio Daniels. He loves what the Rockets are doing in their youth and enthusiasm for the game. And recently Grant Hill stated he hasn't spoken to TD since the all star game and that he really likes Irvine and will probably re-sign in Detroit. That means TD won't join him in Chicago or Orlando. I think with all this and the Cap Space we will have and the trade exception we are the most attractive team on the market for him. He supposedly likes the Toronto team. But could not deal with the weather.
    Tim Duncan....

------------------

2. F.D. Khan

Tim Duncan......Rocket 2000!

Sign and Trade for Cato and Drew...

Hakeem Pig
    Duncan Thomas
    Wiz S.Ander
    S.Ander Mobley
    Francis Norris

Very Strong Possibility, and Rudy's coaching TD this summer.....that would be like getting Hakeem again back in 86 and having francis...they would rule the NBA for the Next decade and not let that Gravy-Training Phil Jackson and that choker Shaq get a ring....

------------------

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

is it me, or does that post remind you a lot of Houston in '95 when they were headed to an early exit in the playoffs (at least everyone thought they were).

Heart of a Champion...versus Shaq's 1-24 record in elimination series. LA is going down!!!

4. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I don't think Tim Duncan is a real possibility next season ... if he signs a one-year deal with SA or whomever then maybe we can talk for 2001 but that's not likely.

Interesting you mentioned Cato and Drew.... I think both will be wearing different uniforms next season. Drew undoubtedly... Cato is a better possibility to be dealt than most may think.

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

[This message has been edited by Clutch (edited April 17, 2000).]

5. outlaw

outlaw Member

Cato will be making $7 million next year correct? If you add Bryce and our pick that should equal Tim's $9 million right? Capologists please advise.

6. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

If we're talking salaries here, wouldn't Cato, Drew and our pick get the deal done at 9 mil per?

A man can dream can't he!

------------------
    The lottery sucks!

7. davo

davo Contributing Member

A pick doesn't count as any salary in a trade. However, we could easily use some of our trade credit to make up any difference in salaries, so Drew + Cato + trade credit is perfectly feasible. (not sure what San Antonio would think of it, though)

------------------
    http://rocketdavo.tripod.com

8. outlaw

outlaw Member

San Antonio would think that's better than not getting anything at all in return.

I think Drew is gonna be a better PG in this league than Antonio Daniels, who is also a free agent correct?

I guess we could draft whoever San Antonio wanted and then do the trade after the draft. That way, the player would have a cap number which could figure in a trade.

9. F.D. Khan

I did not mean that we would have cap space this year...but we will have a lot when Dream retires. We could do a sign and trade, or a sign with an under the table agreement ( ala Barkley and Shandon) for the Maximum next year. If he decides he will leave for sure, then San Antonio will either trade him to where he wants to go, or lose him with nothing in return. the Rockets could send Cato, Bryce and use some of the 4.5 million trade exception ( you have that much to use..you don't have to use it all) Where else would TD want to go in this offseason....
    Magic - No Future Stars stuck in Rebuilding
    Chicago - With Krause and no one else..no way

We are the only team that can pay him what he wants and will have a competetive, young team that he would fit in.. And S.A. would infuse youth into their ancient lineup. Its a win-win situation. But Duncan has to say he wants to come here.

Tim Duncan Rocket 2000

------------------

10. Toledoss

Toledoss Member

I think

C Duncan/Olajuwon
    PF Fizer/Cato
    SF Anderson/Wizard
    SG Mobley/Daniels
    PG Francis/Norris

------------------

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I would love to get Duncan, but, come on, do you really think that San Antonio would trade him to someone in the same division.

Nope, no way. They would let him walk rather then give him to the Rockets. Man, I hope I am wrong.

DaDakota

------------------

12. davo

davo Contributing Member

The Magic, who apparently have no stars and are stuck in rebuilding have out-performed the Rockets and will probably make the playoffs this year. They have a great coach and they have like 4 first round draft picks this year.

As for no-one else being able to pay Duncan the money??? - I don't understand where you're coming from on that one FDK. Given the right trade, ANYONE else CAN and WILL pay him the money.

------------------
    http://rocketdavo.tripod.com

13. davo

davo Contributing Member

14. vince

vince Member

You guys!!!

This topic just makes me smile to think about the possibility of teaming Duncan with Francis!

How realistic it is, is not relevant.

A little bit of the Dream has rubbed off on us.

------------------

15. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

If it really came down to it, and the Spurs were forced to trade Duncan, certain one of the other 27 teams in the league could come up with something better than Cato and Drew for arguably the best player in the league. They're going to go to the highest bidder. Players don't have the luxury of choosing where they get traded. [​IMG]

------------------
    "There are three kinds of lies:
    Lies, Damned Lies, and STATISTICS..."
    - Mark Twain -

16. brahma rocket

brahma rocket Member

i.e. scottie pippen

------------------
    johnny "red" kerr:i'm glad the bulls did'nt draft steve francis.

dan roan: why!!!!!

johnny red kerr:because he would forever be compared to michael jordan.

17. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

but scottie could have done worse. I like what we got from the trade, especially not having a triple nickel every night for $20,000,000.00 a year, but the Rockets certainly could have put Scottie in a much worse position.

The fact that they didn't shows they're merely the better diplomat than Scottie.

By the way, I in no way shape or form think that this means that the Spurs are going to trade their star player to a team 2 hours away. That's simply absurd.

------------------

18. Dogbelly

Dogbelly Member

Duncan is a free agent. The scenario concerning him coming to the Rockets involves a sign and trade. Players don't get to pick where they are traded unless they agree to the sign and trade. He can simply walk away from the Spurs if he wishes.

------------------

19. TraJ

TraJ Member

I think there are several things that could possibly enter into the equation (most of which have already been said). The most important factor to me is that San Antonio wouldn't want Tim Duncan going to a division rival (regardless of who they get in return). I am interested in seeing what happens to San Antonio during the playoffs. If they get knocked out of the first round, will they start looking toward the future? Of course, they would want Tim to be the primary piece of any "rebuilding," but I don't think Tim would want to do that. He could force their hand into trading him, but I think they would draw the line at trading with the Rockets. Also, one of the things Tim was concerned about in San Antonio was the arena situation, wasn't it? Would he want to go to a team that has that same problem? And another thing, one of the benefits to trading with the Rockets would effectually be taken out of the way -- being able to dump $4.5 million in salary via the Rockets trade exception. Let's say the Spurs signed Duncan to a $9 million contract with the intention of trading him (sign and trade), and the Rockets gave up Walt (about $4-5 million a year). They would still have more salary next year than they do this year. Tim makes between $3-4 million this year (if I'm not mistaken). That aspect wouldn't appeal to them. Unless I'm mistaken, the real benefit to another team trading with the Rockets would be in dumping some salary. About the only way a team could do that would be to trade guys already under contract.

I would love to be wrong, but I don't see any way that Tim Duncan is with the Rockets next year. However, that doesn't stop me from enjoying the dreaming either.

------------------

20. UT Baller

UT Baller Member

I'll believe this when I see Duncan in a Rox uniform next year, but a Duncan/Cato frontline would be scary.

------------------