1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dumb and Dumber

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BackNthDay, Mar 20, 2007.

1. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

I cringe everything I see Rafer at the 1 and Luther at the 2. We might as well count the lead the we've built up to be cut in half by the time one of them sits down. I think I'm looking at Steve and Cutino again.

I could throw JLIII into the mix because he has some bonehead plays as well. Also, Snyder is not far behind when he tries bringing the ball up the court and turns it over or shoots a 3 (is he serious?)

1. Luther Head - Dribbles 2 inches across half court, along the sideline, and picks up the ball and tries to throw it across court in the NBA.

2. Rafer - Shoots floater after floater after floater with no success. Has he ever heard of a Sam Cassell pull up jumper from 8 ft. Do the simple layup first and then expand your game. If I was Jeff, I would stop practice everytime he tries one of those.

3. Rafer - The everybody in the house knows the dribble left spin move right scoop layup.

4. Luther - Teams post him up at will and you would think Luther has 5 fouls in the 1st Qtr the way allows easy post ups and layups.

5. Luther - I must give him credit for the play with Juwan on the layup hand off, however, he was blowing that play trying a reverse layup with no one around the basket.

6. Rafer - Your 1 for 9 from 3, go to point number 2 above, try a 10 foot jumper because they are 20 feet away from you. The scouting report says let Rafer have as many 3's as we wants. Also, I notice that hit 3's from the top of the key consistently and sometimes from the wings. Never hits from the corner, get out of Shane's spot.

7. Luther - get your mid range off dribble jumper going, you're not going to get wide open 3's in the playoffs, try dunking let you did on Dirk.

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I say this thread is "dumbest".

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Look at it this way. When you have Rafer and Luther paired together, that essentially means you're replacing McGrady or Battier with Luther. Of course there'll be a significant drop off -- both players are far better than Luther Head.

Some +/- stats:

Code:
         [B]player combination              min    off    def     net[/B]
    Alston-McGrady-Battier (no Head)     1145   99.6   85.3   +14.2
    Alston-Head-Battier (no McGrady)     516    92.1   93.0    -0.8
    Alston-Head-McGrady (no Battier)     222    101.1  93.3    +7.8
    Alston-Head-McGrady-Battier          230    111.1  103.6   +7.5 

This illustrates the relative value of Luther, McGrady, and Battier fairly nicely. Replace McGrady with Head, and we go from +14.2 to -0.8. Replace Battier with Head, and we go from +14.2 to +7.8.

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

You must have not been here during the Steve and Cuttino days.

5. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

This thread is about 2 weeks late. Good job waiting until they are playing well to start bashing. Besides, Head and Alston have gained a bit of leeway in my book after they saved the Clippers game.

6. daRox

daRox Member

Rafer is one of the few that pushes the ball quickly enough so that we still have time on the clock to set our offense. He rarely committs TOs under full court pressure like other PGs...and he's been playing very well, including making his threes..we've been doing good so this thread deserves una estrella :mad:

7. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

Backnthday,

I feel your pain. why don't we just go get Jason Kidd and Michael Redd. We just give NJ Rafer and Milwaulkee Head. IT's that simple.

:rolleyes:

8. BaMcMing

BaMcMing Contributing Member

BackNthDay

Can you name one 2nd year player drated within 10 spots of Luther at the 24th pick who is contributing as much as he is?

ps - the key word in there is 2nd year player; i.e. how about crediting the good things he does, and let him develop the rest his game

9. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

David Lee. Lee was drafted behind Luther. I'll take him anyday over Luther.

10. smeiou78

smeiou78 Member

Considering that they play different positions, both David Lee & Luther score about 11 pts a game. Lee has a huge advantage in rebounding, but the Rockets don't really need Luther to rebound. Lee is 6 inches taller. Luther is a spot-up shooter, Lee isn't. Luther shoots the 3, Lee doesn't. I don't know how well of a defender Lee is, but Luther isn't too bad. Luther makes about 1 more assist per game. Steals are about 1 each. Lee's FG% is almost 61%, but that's because he doesn't shoot long range.

I just don't see where Lee would fit into the rotation. Take Battier's place? Never. The Chuck wagon is a perfect fit for Yao. Juwan is extremely efficient offensively & great defensively. I like our team. :D

11. GermanRoxFan

GermanRoxFan Member

well there you have one. maybe you can find another one or two, but you should get his point. luther is making the most out of his potential. and that is while playing out of position very often. he's a role player. and for a 2nd year player he's actually very, very good at it.

as for this thread in general, i agree with a_3po.

12. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

if you dont like Lee, then Monta Ellis. He's drafted behind Luther too.

There are many players drafted behind Luther but Luther is lucky to get play time becoz of injuries and the shallow bench of the Rockets. There are many other players in 2nd round that show flashes - Ryan Gomes is not bad too. And trust me, Salim Stoudamire is a much better shooter than Head if playing with Yao & T-Mac but has the same problem as Head - undersized and poor handle of the ball.

13. doboyz

doboyz Contributing Member

So players that play for the knicks, hawks, celtics and warriors. All very good teams and headed for the playoffs.

14. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

pwn3t

15. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

This "we could have drafted X" game is kinda pointless..

There are 60 picks in every draft.

So, behind every first rounder of each team there are at least 30 guys they pass up in the draft, not to mention all the free agent rookies (like Chuck Hayes).

Given the sheer number of guys you could have picked and did not, unless we are talking about superstar draftees, at least one out of these guys bound to turn out better than your guy. You can almost ALWAYS find someone better than a player you picked in the first round and b**** about how that pick is a mistake.

16. ericmark

ericmark Member

He did hit one at last game, didn't he? I thought corner 3 is easier otherwise Bowen wouldn't hit it consistently.
    This thread is not that bad, in my opinion.

17. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Don't think you cannot draw conclusions. You can only propose hypotheses from the data. Reason is that not all other things are equal. E.g., what if Luther happens to get more minutes against teams that we have problems with or when we're short-handed? E.g., Luther's 8 starts (and higher minutes) have been against teams that we are a combined (and lousy) 7-10.

Regardless, 'Replace McGrady with Head, and we go from +14.2 to -0.8', so the hypothesis is that McGrady is better than Luther? Uh... did we really need to go there? ;)

Oh yeah and dumb, useless thread.

#17 Cohen, Mar 20, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2007
  18. Sextuple Double

Dumb - Rafer's floaters
    Dumber - Playing Vspan
    Dumbest - the fact that "Play Vspan" lies somewhere within this thread

19. T-2

T-2 Contributing Member