1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ducking Below The Tax In 2018-2019? It's possible.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by finsraider, Jul 5, 2018.

1. finsraider

finsraider Member

Let's get some politics out of the way. I have ZERO problem with the FO/ownership ducking below the tax this season, and I DO NOT think that is necessarily an indication that they are unwilling to pay it in the future. The reality is that the repeater tax is killer and has it's own ability to reduce our flexibility in the future. Deferring the tax one more year may allow us to make more moves over the next few years. That said, I fully expect most on here to blast ownership if they choose this route, despite its merits.

So how could the Rockets do this?

I see several paths. First, let's look at the current salaries for the Rockets, plus planned exceptions (up to 15 roster spots):

35.7 - CP3
    30.4 - Harden
    20.4 - Anderson
    13.5 - Gordon
    8 - Tucker
    4.5 - MLE signing (reduced for signing Melton to a 3 year deal)
    3.7 - Nene
    3.4 - Capela (Qualifying offer)
    1.5 - Onuaku
    1.4 - Zhou
    1.5 - Green (2nd year vet min)
    1.5 - MCW (2nd year vet min)
    1.5 - Vet Min (2nd year vet min)
    0.8 - Melton (signed to 3 year deal using a portion of the MLE)
    0.8 - Edwards (signed to 2 year deal)

That's 15 roster spots, with a total salary of $128.6 million. The luxury tax line is $123.7, so that puts us $4.9 over.

The options:

#1 – Capela signs the QO. Unlikely, but possible given the Rockets limited competition in free agency. Capela may choose to go for his big payday next year, when he’s unrestricted and more teams have $$$. In this case, it’s relatively easy for the Rockets to dip under. Just trade Nene and Onuaku into another team’s cap space. No need to move Anderson, which could be key to keeping assets on hand for another deal.

#2 – Capela signs a deal starting at $19 million or less. Anderson is traded for zero returning salary.

#3 – Anderson is waived and stretched ($8.4 million against the cap for the next 5 years). Capela is signed to a deal starting at $14 million (5 years $82 million…my guess at his lowest reasonable deal). Nene is traded for zero returning salary.

Of course there are more potential trades/moves that could push us a few million in either direction, but the Capela/Anderson dynamic is the big one.

2. BigBum

BigBum Member

Does the CBA rules allow us to reject the qualifying offer from Capela?

I do not want QO.

3. finsraider

finsraider Member

We can withdraw it, but then Capela would become an unrestricted free agent. That's no bueno. He either signs the QO, signs with the Rockets, or signs with another team, with the Rockets retaining the ability to match it.

ilovehtownbb and D-rock like this.
  4. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Nice work, finsraider. Just a couple of nit-picks, though.

First off, Capela's qualifying offer is actually $4.75 million. He met the "starter criteria" entitling him to the larger QO.

Next, don't forget that there is also a ~$123k dead cap hit for Troy Williams (although that may get slightly reduced at the end of the season, depending on how much salary he collects elsewhere next season).

I haven't run all the calculations on your proposals, but I don't think Scenario #1 would drop them below the tax. And I guess you'd need to adjust your new Capela salaries down just a bit.

Bottom line: While yes, it is POSSIBLE that the Rockets could miraculously duck the tax this season, I highly doubt it. It also would likely mean that something went terribly wrong with Capela and he probably walks next summer.

#4 BimaThug, Jul 5, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  5. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I’m convinced this is as least one scenario the team is trying to keep open.

6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Would trading Ryan Anderson and a 1st rounder to Atlanta for Miles Plumlee and his 2 year / $25 million put us under the luxury tax?

The Hawks have enough cap room to cover the ~8 million difference between Anderson and Plumlee.

7. finsraider

finsraider Member

Thanks for the corrections. Forgot about Troy.

The QO scenario presumes the Rockets would be willing to max him out or overpay him next season as a way to "repair" the relationship. Money has a way of doing that. Still...I agree it is preferable to come to an agreement on a long term deal this offseason. Hopefully there's a happy medium between the offer and bid.

Here might be a more practical scenario/question: let's say Capela signs in the $14-$19 million range (starting salary). Do the Rockets look to dump Anderson's salary completely, or take a more moderate approach and bring back a player on less years and/or a lower salary? Which they choose could tell us something about their intentions regarding the tax.

I find the waive and stretch option to be unlikely, simply because the cost of that salary under the repeater tax could outweigh the one year hit we would absorb this season.

8. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

What if we sign and trade Capela plus Gordon for Kawhi (see Zach Lowe thread)?

9. finsraider

finsraider Member

To update my OP with Bima's corrections:

#1 - We would need to trade Nene & Onuaku, plus forgo signing another minimum player or using all our remaining MLE.

#2 - Capela at $19 million and sending out Anderson for no salary in return is still about right. Perhaps $100-300k less to Capela to stay under.

#3 - Waiving/stretching Anderson, signing Capela starting at $14 million and trading Nene should still work to get us under. You could also trade Onuaku to open up a little more room, either to sign another free agent or up Capela's offer.

10. finsraider

finsraider Member

In the insanely unlikely event this deal were to happen, they could stay under by waiving and stretching Anderson. Obviously trading Anderson would be best, but you'd have to consider the cost (and you probably spent all your assets getting Kawhi).

11. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I think if they lowered their payroll to where they are "only" in the 250-325% luxury tax bracket (as opposed to the 525%+ range), they'd be more likely to bite the bullet and keep Ryno on the roster next season, tax be damned. The repeater tax wouldn't kick in (if at all) until several years down the road. Meanwhile, they keep Anderson as salary ballast in later trades (when he's got less money remaining on his deal) and don't clog up their cap with dead money for the following 4 seasons after this one.

Deuce, Chamillionaire and malakas like this.
  12. Hard_foul

Hard_foul Member

Nice work OP

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Imagine this scenario @finsraider

-Capela takes his QO
    -We sign a variety of minimum guys (Nick Young, Ennis, etc.)
    -We make the trade to get rid of Ryno for Bazemore
    -We don't use the MLE at all (except a small portion to keep the third year on our 2nd rd guy)

Boom, under the tax.

Chamillionaire likes this.
  14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I don't disagree with you here , especially with them not being able to land any of the big names , further closing the gap with GSW.

Its also why they let Ariza walk , money / tax is the only reason that makes any sense especially considering they didn't have a replacement lined up.

I Do like the idea of keeping Ryno's contract around for a potential big move - without that big contract allowing you to bring back so much salary , its so much harder to match salaries / make the numbers work. Ryno alone allows you to bring back $24.1m (120%+100k). Sure that contract alone doesn't get anything done , you have to add other assets to it but its a big part of the financial flexibility required to make those moves.

Not knowing how the Capela situation is going to turn out , its difficult to predict how deep they will be into the tax but even best case , Capela taking the QO they'd be right at the tax line without spending the MLE. Capela getting more than that is just pushing them further into the tax , still not having spent that MLE (aside from the portion used on Melton). We'll just have to see how that situation plays out then adjust accordingly.

IT's gonna be real hard to keep Ryno's contract and EG's production and get under the tax line.

15. basketballholic

Been thinking a lot about the repeater tax which is the tax killer, especially since cp3 is taking his full max deal for 4 years. The repeater tax would much in on year 4 of that deal if we are in the tax all 4 years. So I thought there was the possibility that with Lebron we'd try to keep under the tax this next season which would men we could play out the rest of cp3's deal without the luxury tax.

But I've been thinking about other ways to avoid the repeater tax, especially in light of Anderson's contract. And I really think the opportunity here is to pay the tax this season and next season and attempt to step out of the tax in the 2020-21 season.

It is during that season (coinciding with the ending of Anderson's deal) that the salary cap is projected to move up to 117-120 million. Which would mean the luxury tax line is at 137-140 million.

I think the major opportunity this season is to move Anderson out for more salary. In other words trade him (and others if needed) for more incoming salary and in the process pick up assets in the form of draft picks, etc.

Teams that are anxious or desperate to cut salary this season include the Thunder, Raptors, Wizards, and Nuggets. The Warriors are in the tax too but don't seem to care. The Thunder in particular are very motivated to unload salary because they are paying the repeater tax. That's why you keep reading about them waiving and stretching Melo. Because doing that will save them $100 million in taxes.

But that's still a $9 million cap hit for the next three seasons and they've got to decide whether or not to waive him before the season starts to be able to stretch him. I'm thinking that if they could trade him into another team's cap space and take back a smaller expiring contract that they could buy out for $4-5 million (Chandler, Dudley, others) that they would give up their 2019 first round pick to do that.

Once that happens they need to turn Steven Adams into Cody Zeller or another quality big making about half what Adams makes to get out of the tax or at least get real close to the tax line and minimize the damage. That would save them roughly another $60-70 million.

So you can see shortly that the empty cap since, already at a premium, will become even more expensive in terms of assets to be able Rubio dump salary in to.

With this environment the opportunity lies in going the other way.....helping a team like Denver, Toronto, or Washington cut salary.

OR even in helping a team cut future salary by taking on a longer term contract (s). For instance, Phoenix. Trading them Ryan Anderson (and others) for some combination of Brandon Knight, TJ Warren (longer term deal but at decent value contract) actually helps their cap space now and in the future. Wet pay a little nite salary now. But Knight is an easier contract to move than Anderson in another season.

Something like this could also possibly work with the Wizards. Even on a smaller scale. They've got some nice expiring deals. Markieff, Smith, Satoransky, Oubre. We could piece together Nene, onuaku, Vince for a couple of those guys.

I think the way to go is to add salary through trade and add assets, pay the tax this year, and target next season or more likely 2020-21 to step out of the tax.

#15 basketballholic, Jul 6, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
    Hard_foul likes this.
  16. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

If CC signs his QO (which some are now saying is a possibility) then it's certainly something they should aggressively look at... and then come back full force the following year when RA is an expiring...
    Many on here would be outraged... but its good business....