1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Duane Brown reports back to the Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by justtxyank, Oct 23, 2017.

1. csj

csj Member

Because none of this is true, and if Brown didn't want a contract structured this way he shouldn't have negotiated it and signed it.

Your, and sammy's, inability to understand the obvious doesn't mean the opinion you do have is worth considering. Brown's holdout had NOTHING to do with possibly losing earnings this year or next. It had everything to do with Brown wanting a new, larger deal than he would otherwise get due to the team's current talent shortage.

2. Nigel Thornberry

I was hoping to get a good draft pick for him. I guess we just have to wait and see if he’s any good when he plays.

3. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

You realize that had Brown showed up to camp a few months ago, his entire season would have been guaranteed from injury, right? So he essentially lost millions of dollars this season in the hopes of guaranteeing next season...doesnt seem very smart.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Brown will likely be in better physical shape come the playoffs, after 10 games versus 16 games plus the preseason games. That is smart, right?

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

When someone gambles and loses millions, it never seems smart. People misjudge leverage quite often.

I don't have the sheer hatred for the guy that drips off of some people here. The NFL is a business in every sense of the word and this player made a bad decision for himself that hasn't affected the Texans much (because of DW's mobility).

Brown just needs to serve his purpose here a few more games and then move on to finish his career. My feelings aren't hurt.

P.S: Wouldn't mind a trade one bit but the main goal for the season is keeping DW healthy. O-line has to be the #1 priority this off-season.

6. texian

texian Member

Brown's biggest mistake? (Besides signing a 6 year deal.)

Trusting agent Kennard McGuire's promises that since he got Rick Smith to renegotiate Andre Johnson's bad contract that his Uncle Melton saddled him with, he'd be able to do the same for Brown.

Yeah. No.

csj likes this.
  7. Nimo

Nimo Member

Also doesn't seem very greedy.

This is either one of the best holdouts in history or one of the worst holdouts in history. No one has any idea what he was holding out about so every opinion we have of him or the team is based on mere speculation.

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  8. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

"My plan was a complete failure, I lost millions of dollars, and got nothing in return but I'm happy to be back!"

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  9. ipaman

So then why did he sign a deal that had no guarantees in the last two years?

No sympathy from me, he agreed and signed the contract as constructed. He took big guaranteed money up front and forsake his last two years. You can't have it both ways and he tried too. It's clear he had a plan when he singed the contract to take the big upfront guaranteed money with no complaints and quietly plan to not honor the last two years. That's disingenuous and hurts the team. He should have been honest and structured the guaranteed money for all years. But he wanted to be a a greedy, sneaky, fack face instead and got owned. Glad Rick held his ground.

10. ipaman

super greedy. he agreed to a contract that was front loaded with guarantees and had no guarantees at the end. why would he do that? because he never planned to honor those final non-guaranteed years. he knew when he signed the deal he would be holding out looking for a re-worked contract those final two years. that's shady and greedy af.

11. Nimo

Nimo Member

I think its been said before but I can say it again. This is the way the NFL works. They front load the contract with two possibilities: 1. the player underperforms and gets cut with little or no financial penalty or 2. the player overperforms and negotiates (or holds out) for a new contract. If this is about money, the team probably doesn't think he has outperformed enough to earn a renegotiated contract while the player does. There was no way he was going to get a fully guaranteed contract when he initially signed. This isn't NBA or MLB. The reason why the team isn't upset and refusing to penalize him is because they need him but also because they understand this was the only card he had to play. But i'm still not sure this was only about money.

12. Nimo

Nimo Member

How is it greedy when he just threw money away? Greedy would have been showing up to camp to collect that paycheck every single Sunday.

Like I said before, most contracts are like this in the NFL. I'm sure he didn't want it back then but he wasn't going to have it any other way.

13. ipaman

he could have spread the same money across all years but he didn't.
    because in his mind, he threw away non-guaranteed money, which means nothing to him, in hopes of replacing with guaranteed money which is real money. i'm sure that's how he and his agent looked at it. which means he didn't' come back for money, he came back for year of service. that tells me that he and his agent will or have asked for a trade and he won't resign here.

14. Nimo

Nimo Member

Most likely he could not. Players don't have that leverage.

Money is money. Guaranteed or non-guaranteed. If anything, he tried to stand for the principle and lost. Not for the money. If he were greedy, he would have showed up, played, and complained about it. That way he gets his money now and still "protests" the contract. To me, that's greedy. He just pretty much just threw money away. You just said he didn't come back for money; how does that mean greedy. He is not getting younger. This is not your typical holdout.

15. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

we need Brown but teams are desperate for tackles (Peters out for PHI, etc), trade market must be awfully tempting

16. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I would maybe trade him for a corner, but otherwise he is exactly what the team is missing, no point in trading him really

17. ipaman

The greed was demonstrated by taking guaranteed money upfront and his attempt to ignore the non-guaranteed years. And he did not come back for the money, he came back for the year of service. Both can be true.

18. csj

csj Member

But some speculation is better than others and everyone has "at least some" idea. Sorry, it's just not true that "no one has any idea".

Holding out and sacrificing 5 million to guarantee 10 (that he knows he's likely to get) is dumb, and returning by a deadline says that he doesn't want the consequences of not doing so. This proves that Brown is interested in the biggest new contract he can get, not that he's worried that playing is "too risky".

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

In his case, he was greedy but not intelligent so it led to a loss. There are many out there that waste ridiculous amounts of money on greedy schemes that don't pay out the way they thought they would.....dumb people can convince themselves about all manner of ridiculous things....you know, like the healing power of crystals. When it comes to stupid people like that, you have to throw conventional wisdom out the window.

20. Nimo

Nimo Member

Then 80% of NFL players are greedy for signing front loaded contracts. As if the teams were offering alternatives.