1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

DSL Rant

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by heypartner, Jun 1, 2000.

Tags:
  1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

SWBell has stopped mutliple IPs per mac address. That effectively means no more multiple computers on the same DSL modem without proxy. (You can throw your hub away.)

Can anyone provide simple proxy solutions? Do NT workstations come with it? I need two nic cards on the proxy, right?

How about the $179 "hubs" that are little firewalls? Anything cheaper?

2. dc sports

dc sports Member

I had some friends do it in a 'lab' they set up for working on the Microsoft Certification -- 2 NT servers, 1 NT Client, and 2 Win98 Clients -- to a cable modem. Two were network engineers, and understand it much better than I did. I am NOT an expert -- but here's what I remember.

They set up one PC as the proxy server, with the cable modem installed. It had NT Server, (evaluation copy), but I don't think it was important. This PC was the 'backup' server, but provided the internet connection for all five machines. It didn't use much computing power off of the proxy server -- which was not a new machine. Unless someone tried to download a large file, there was no noticible difference with all five PC's hitting the internet at once.

They tried two different proxy server programs out -- Wingate and Microsoft Back Office -- it wasn't a part of the NT software. Wingate was supposed to be better, but caused problems configuring the machines, especially since we were 'experimenting.' BackOffice did the job, without much hassle.

I don't know much about Mac's -- But I would guess you could get a 'network in a box' from Microcenter or similar store that has 2 cards and a simple hub. If you feel a little more brave, and don't want to sink a lot of money in it, you might be able to pick up some used / refurbished cards through Microcasche -- but they mostly have PC stuff (I don't know if Mac's have built in networking software.) Proxy server software should be available in the same places.

With this setup, I wouldnt' know how to get around having 2 network cards in the proxy server. (One for your network, and one for the DSL modem).

Does anyone know if you can create a simple network through the USB connection?

------------------
    Stay Cool...

[This message has been edited by dc sports (edited June 01, 2000).]

3. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

My Macs are networked with a hub using SWB DSL and I have NO problems at all.

------------------
    "No one gets out ALIVE!"
    SaveOurRockets.com

4. heypartner

really Jeff!!

Did you read the warning in the paper last week. I didn't believe it. But, now I only get one DHCP lease from that modem.

They apparently have replaced DHCP servers with one that gives out only one NIC lease per MAC address.

(btw: for those looking to help, MAC refers to the modem, not MacIntosh)

5. dc sports

dc sports Member

OOOOHHHHH! No problem.

Check out Microcenter -- they have dozens of simple networking kits for around $100 or less. Amazon.com has one for $44, and one for $99. Outfits like Microcashe (www.microcasche.com -- and 3 locations in Houston) have used ones cheap -- companies literally throw them out with the computers, because the computers are too slow.

Jeff, are you using one of the computers as a proxy server?

------------------
    Stay Cool...

6. heypartner

In the immortal words of Roseanne Roseannadanna

"Nevermind"

I just got both machines working. I swear Tuesday I had to toggle the two machines with alternating renew and releases. Maybe it was a little test. hmmm.

Anyhow, thx for the input guys...and note that SWBell did put out a warning last week.

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I used to use a machine as a proxy server, but I hated having to boot up one machine so the others could gain 'Net access or having all traffic pass through one machine. I went out and got the Linksys Etherfast Router and it's the best $160 or so I've spent in quite some time (if you don't count topless bars...........ok, j/k). It's just as easy if not easier to set up than an NT proxy server or software-based proxy solutions like Sygate or WinProxy (and I've used both). Plus it gives you hardware-based NAT and DHCP on top of it. I love it. [​IMG]

------------------
    ?

8. dc sports

dc sports Member

Dr. of Dunk,

So, let me clarify... It works as a network switch for networking the computers to each other, and as a proxy server for either computer to access the DSL modem independent of the other?

Cool! I'll have to check it out!

------------------
    Stay Cool...

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

It's actually a router with a built-in 4-port 10/100 switch (which is incredible to find at that price). But what you said is right. As long as the router is plugged in and working, it has built-in DHCP that will automatically assign non-routable IP's (ie, 192.168.1.100) to machines attached to it. It's a breeze to set up, too. If you want further firewall protection other than simple NAT, this isn't the product for you, though. You may want to buy something a bit more secure (and of course more expensive) like the Sonicwall or Webramp 700s (basically the same device as a Sonicwall, but rebadged).

I use software firewall security to do things like stealthing ports, prevent ICMP nukes while on IRC, prevent unauthorized communication from within the network (as many trojans do), etc. For that, I use 2 products : ZoneAlarm (free, but good) and McAfee Personal Firewall (used to be made by a company called signal9 and called Conseal Personal Firewall till they were bought out).

You never really get an appreciation of how many hack attempts are made against your IP address untill you've downloaded one of these products, set them to minimial-to-no security and watch the crackers attempt to hack into your system or just try to take a peek in. [​IMG]

------------------
    ?

[This message has been edited by Dr of Dunk (edited June 01, 2000).]

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I personally have the McAfee Personal Firewall product and don't think it's very configurable, but it's good for the average consumer (like me). However, if you want something that I think is equally good and is FREE for personal use, get Zonelabs' ZoneAlarm (http://www.zonelabs.com)for software-based firewall protection. It's more configurable than the McAfee product, and I use it as well.

I haven't used the Norton Internet Security product so I can't comment, but many people think it is a good product. It's another example of how a company's name makes people buy the product. NIS is just another company's product that was bought out and renamed (originally made by WRQ and called AtGuard). From people I talked to, they say that it's the same product but far more bloated in terms of size. You may be able to download an eval version of it from Symantec's website. But do yourself a favor and try the Zonelabs product first.

As for companies buying these products, many of them buy it simply buy it because they're familiar with names, too. They also buy it for the reason you stated about them having suites of products or packages they can offer. When you go to your local PC store you see products by McAfee/NAI and Norton everywhere, so when you think of Antivirus software those are the names you think of. However, products such as those by AVP, Datafellows, etc. often do better in antivirus studies than either of them. These are studies by indpendent security companies and foundations, not by PC Magazine and PC World.

------------------
    ?

11. dc sports

dc sports Member

Thanks!

If you think of anything else, please let me know!

------------------
    Stay Cool...

12. dc sports

dc sports Member

Wow. Thank you.

Do you have any thoughts on the McAfee or Norton packages? They use McAfee products at work, so I assume it's really good. (A hospital sysem kind-of needs good protection.) It would seem to be easier to use a package of products by one manufacturer -- especially from a hassle factor. But I'd like to get one that works!

------------------
    Stay Cool...

13. dc sports

dc sports Member

Dr. of Dunk,

Thank you. I installed Zonelab's firewall this weekend, and it is easy to use -- the control panel is very intuitive. I reccomend that everyone without a firewall install this. It blocked 5 'pings' during times when nothing should have been coming into my computer.

I also installed Norton System works (with the virus program). It fixed a lot of problems I didn't even know I had -- and stopped all of the little glitches and hangups that occasionally occurred.

I'd reccomend both products, but especially the firewall, since it's free!

------------------
    Stay Cool...

14. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

SWB informed me today that they can also install a DSL router to remedy the problem - essentially, a splitter to send the signal to two separate computers.

I am HIGHLY pissed about it, however, because they told me when I signed up that this would not be an issue. Apparently, for $10 extra on Road Runner, you can get a Static IP and use more than one computer. For DSL, it is $30 more!

------------------
    "No one gets out ALIVE!"
    SaveOurRockets.com

15. dc sports

dc sports Member

I've got a friend with Roadrunner -- and he does have a static IP address, but can only use the line at one computer. He fixed it with by setting up a proxy server (above) but it's not exactly the proposed solution.

By the way, he loves the speed, but has had some problems with the line itself. What's worse is he has had to get the technicians to come out and fix or adjust the line -- something something the customer can't really do. Of course, they never come on time...

He was impressed with my DSL line, and may change services.

------------------
    Stay Cool...

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

dc,

No problem. You may want to go to these sites to see if your ports are stealthed and how secure your pc is. It won't tell you if you're completely invulnerable, but it'll at least give you some ideas :

https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2
    http://www.webtrends.net/tools/security/antionline/
    http://www.jtan.com/resources/winnuke.html

------------------
    Just shut up and post

17. dc sports

dc sports Member

Thank you.

One of the IT managers at work suggested a very cool shareware download called neotrace.
    It basically 'pings' a website or ip address, then lists the route it takes, along with all of the nodes along the way, and the delay at each site. It actually traces the route on a map, giving the site of each node.

It can be useful for troubleshooting, especially if you are trying to figure out why a particular site is so slow. For instance, the IT manager found out that all roadrunner traffic is routed through a west coast node, in California. You can see each node, and where the delay is.

The other very cool thing is combining the program with a firewall. When you get a 'ping' from someone being stopped by the firewall, you get the ip address. You can use neotrace to trace the address back to the source, even getting the name of the computer (if available).

------------------
    Stay Cool...

18. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Actually, I solved the problem by switching to Everyone's Internet DSL - $40 per month for static IP and as many networked computers as you want.

------------------
    "No one gets out ALIVE!"
    SaveOurRockets.com

19. dc sports

dc sports Member

DOD: Thanks! I'll try them.

Jeff: Thanks! I'll suggest to Cris that he check them out.

------------------
    Stay Cool...

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

DC, NeoTrace is a very good tool. Another similar tool I've used in the past is Visual Route. Tools like this actually perform a "traceroute" on steroids. I haven't used Visual Trace in forever, but it would graphically display the point on the planet the IP address originated. That was cool. The problem is that the IP address doesn't always resolve correctly when using these tools; sometimes you won't get a response. Think about it -- if it did, then anybody could find the IP address of your PC by using those tools... so much for the firewall at that point. [​IMG]

------------------
    Just shut up and post