1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Drunk Driving Laws

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Space Ghost, Oct 23, 2000.

Tags:
  1. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

http://www.whitehouse.gov/library/hot_releases/October_23_2000_2.html

This is so r****ded. Not so much as raising the tolorance, as much as they are stressing how many lives they are going to save. A drunk is going to drive drunk, regardless if he is .00, .08, .1, or 1.0 . All this is going to do is convict more people. IMHO, I don't think a .02 will make that big of a diffrence. I drive more carefully after a couple beers as opposed being completely sober and driving crazy. They need to create stricker rules for out of control drivers like me (i have improved) and they will surely save more lives as opposed to the bogas 500.

Which brings up this question, how often do you truely drive over the .08 limit?

------------------
    ...out with the old, in with the new...

2. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Too often. I'm guessing at least 3 times a week. I'm not too proud of it though. I will say that I am very careful, but it isn't responsible.

------------------
    "It's not a matter of if we will win the NL central, it's by how many games." Barry Larkin

3. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

I never have.

------------------
    Houston Sports Board

4. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

It's not a question of "driving more carefully". More than 50% of all accidents involve drink drivers (or so my defensive driving class said). Hey - I'm no saint, and I'm sure I've driven at above .08 too. But that doesn't make it right - generally people don't realize they've had too much. Its more noticable to others than it is to yourself.

As for the laws, if it gets drunk drivers off the street it's a good thing. But I'm not sure there isn't a better way to go about achieving this goal.

------------------

5. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Sam,

I would think 50% is pretty ridiculous. Ive been in a few accidents, and all the accidents of friends and familes have not involved drinking. I was givin a statstic in DD class that 50% of people on a weekend night are under the influnce of some kind of substance. I even find that pretty hard to believe.

------------------
    ...out with the old, in with the new...

6. SamCassell

Ghost,

You might be right - that # seemed high to me too (thus the source disclaimer). I have no way to know if its just propoganda. I've been in a couple of accidents (only 1 while driving) and never was anyone intoxicated. Of course those were all fairly low-speed, small damage types. Maybe it's 50% of fatalities that are drunk-driving related?

By the by, DD classes are a joke. Which is why I suppose they are offered by comedians.

------------------

7. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

Over 50% of traffic-related fatalities in Texas involve drunk drivers.

------------------
    Houston Sports Board

8. cson

cson Contributing Member

at least for people like me, who used to drive drunk 4 nights a week (small party school/college town), the law works. Spent one night in jail, haven't driven after drinking since.

------------------

9. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

10. hakkalugi

hakkalugi Member

So what if 50% is high. Let's just say its 40% or even as low as 30%, that's too freaking many. As far as one thinking they "drive more carefully after a couple beers". How in the hell would they know? their judgement is IMPAIRED. Stay home moron. Or at least do not drive in my city.

11. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

I don't have the time to reprint thousands of scientific journal articles, but any alcohol has some degree of effect on driving performance, additionally this degree of negative effect on driving ability increases as blood alcohol level increases. No matter how careful you think you drive if you are over the legal limit your ability to drive is reduced especially over .1 and you are a danger to others on the road (let alone youself, for whom i don't care about if you are stupid and arogant enough to drive when you are drunk).

Here in Australia we started with .08 and have had .05 for years here and may eventually get to .03

Live with it truly does save lives.

------------------
    www.NOPostCount.com

12. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Damn Jeff no meat and no beer? Well I atleast have to have one. Thats why I eat alot of meat, but have never had any alcohol [​IMG]

------------------
    Fun Police Says:

1. Stupid threads & Stupid BBS names are not FUN!
    2. Spelling, grammar, punctuation and sentence structure are not FUN!
    3. Conduct yourself in a FUN way!

The Fun Police are Watching.
    Vote for the Rockets & Have FUN!

13. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I HATE beer. I can't stand the way it tastes. In fact, I cannot stand the taste of alcohol which is why I don't drink it. IMO, the only reason people drink is to get drunk or at least blur reality a tad. That never made me feel better anyway.

------------------
    Save Our Rockets and Comets
    SaveOurRockets.com

14. dylan

dylan Contributing Member

That's a pretty broad generalization, you realize. While I do often drink to get a buzz, there are many drinks I simply like the taste of. For example, I will frequently have either a black russian or a bloody mary after dinner. Granted I could have a virgian marry but try making a virgin black russian. Doesn't work too well. (For those not aware, a black russian is a fifty-fifty mixture of vodka and kahlua). Just having one doesn't make me feel much of anything at all, I simply like the taste.

I am also a beer fan and have homebrewed on occasion. I love trying new beers just for the taste because there is such an amazinly wide variety of beers out there.

Just wanted to cut down the level of rightousness a bit... [​IMG]

dylan

------------------

15. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

I like to drink. I don't get to drink all that often, but when I do, it's usually at a party with friends or out with friends, so it's always associated with a good time.

I don't like beer. Just don't like the taste.

I do like many mixed drinks, but liquor on the rocks or like a vodka and water are not my type of drink. My favorite drink is a good old fashion home-made margarita on the rocks. mmmmmm. That or screwdrivers. Those are my favorite, but there's plenty of others I like, Zombies come to mind.

I've started to appreciate wines more also.

I also like to learn all about the different liquors and wines. How they're made and where, etc.

When I drink its usually to get a buzz or just to enjoy the drink. But, I'm not the type who needs a drink to have a good time. I'm gonna have a good time regardless. I guess it is more of a release. You don't think about too much when you're buzzin'.

As far as DWI, yeah I've done it a few times. My opinion is that many times people who drive drunk try to push limits, they try to drive too fast, they show off, they just do dumb stuff because they're drunk. That or they passout or fall asleep. In my defense, whenever I've chosen to drive while intoxicated, I've always tried to take the back ways and avoid traffic, and also I am extra careful. I've never gotten drunk and driven in an irresponsible manner. Then again I've never tried to drive when I thought I wasn't capable of getting to where I needed to go. I guess many people do not think clearly when they decide to drive drunk, and that is because of the alcohol. I'm just glad I've never gotten to that point. Not that I haven't been so drunk that I did stupid things, just that I haven't driven while a blithering drunken idiot.

I'm not condoning DWI, especially because many people are irresponsible to begin with and alcohol just enhances that trait.

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.
    DREAMer's Rocket Page

16. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

WE all are adults here. The anonymity(relative) of the net will allow me to say this : I recently got a dwi, and you guys don't want one. Trust me, it isn't worth that 3-5 hour of fun you had before getting it.

------------------
    "I know how hard it is to put food on your family." George W. Bush

17. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

There was a recent study done to find out what the last words were of a driver before he had an accident. In 95% of the cases a driver's last words where Oh S**T!.

But interestingly enough, in the state of Texas, the most widely used expression was. "Here, hold my beer and watch this"!

------------------
    'Deeds, not words, shall speak me.'

18. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

gr8-1 -- Did you blow into a breathalizer? You should never do that. My friend's a lawyer, and if you're ever pulled over after having a couple of drinks, DO NOT blow. Basically don't say much either, because a lot of times they take you back to the police station and film your every move to decide whether they think you're drunk or not.

19. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Look, I'm not criticizing anyone's habits here but there really is no excuse for driving after drinking. If you make the decision to drive after you drink more than even a couple of beers, you are placing the safety of everyone near you in jeopardy.

Putting yourself behind the wheel with any amount of alcohol in your system is ridiculous. If you have to drink, do the rest of us a favor and get a cab or something. At least have some respect for the rest of the world and the hundreds of lives that have been destroyed by people who drive drunk.

Freak: No offense, but don't give anyone tips on avoiding being arrested for DWI. If you get busted for drinking and driving you deserve whatever you get. Period.

------------------
    Save Our Rockets and Comets
    SaveOurRockets.com

20. SamCassell

Jeff,

Have you ever had something to drink before? I mean, it's all well and good to say "If you make the decision to drive after you drink more than even a couple of beers, you are placing the safety of everyone near you in jeopardy" but listen - drinking impairs your decision-making skills. That's not an excuse, it's a fact.

If people were thinking rationally, of course they wouldn't drive drunk.

BTW, you are crtiticizing. Its OK to be sanctimonious, but admit it! I agree with you that someone who drinks and drives and gets caught, deserves whatever they get.

------------------