1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Driving to Los Angeles. Tips?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Scarface281, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

I will be driving to Los Angeles at the end of next month (the weekend the playoffs start, so hopefully the Rockets and Clippers play in the 1st). I will be spending four or five days in LA. I was thinking about leaving early Thursday morning (say 8am I'll be leaving Houston from the west side) resting in Lordsburg, New Mexico Thursday night and make it to my hotel in LA before 3PM Friday. I say leaving west out of Houston on full, I wouldn't stop until Kerrville, then again in Fort Stockton, then El Paso, and then Lordsburg.

Just wondering if anyone else has done the drive and how it was. I'll have XM, some joints, music, and the scenery to pass time away. Some phone coverage too out there I bet. Plus it will be daytime, so should be easier (if I leave Houston by 8AM, it should still be daylight in Lordsburg 12 hours later). Only thing that worries me is the speed traps. I know the speed limit is 80 in West Texas, but I have heard too many stories of people going 5 to 10 below the speed limit, or as little as 2 or 3 over the limit and getting tickets. Those tickets would say they were going 9+ over. Is it really that bad? I may just fly out there then, but I have never done a long distance road trip before. I wanna see the nation for once instead of flying over it.

2. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Never done it personally, but BS speed traps plus joints? Sounds like there's a decent chance of your trip being derailed in an unfortunate way.

3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Last summer I drove with my dad from Houston, all through California, through Oregon, to Seattle Washington, all the way back through California, back to Houston.

Hell of a drive.

I'd say the best thing you could do is, bring a buddy (fam member, gf) to help drive. I know that's probably not a possibility for most, but if you could do that it would probably make the drive much better for you.

1 person likes this.
  4. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

DONT DO IT!

there is checkpoint outside of el paso and they will probably run a dog around your car. they got willie, snoop dog/lion and fionna apple...they will get you too.

i dont know about speed traps, but cops out there are looking for people carrying drugs and they are very, very good at profiling...if they think you look suspicious its not hard to make up a reason to pull you over.

weed is pretty much legal in cali - just wait till you get out there.

1 person likes this.
  5. Scarface281

Which is pretty much the only thing deterring me. I know for a fact I would not be able to do that drive alone without a few joints along the way. I figured the speed traps out there were like the ones going to Dallas, where they allow 5 to 7 over the limit before ticketing. West Texas (and New Mexico too) sound like true speed traps.

I have been trying to get some friends to go to LA since 2013 lol. I went after high school in 2009 the week MJ died and that was the first time I went with just friends, no family vacation type stuff. One of those friends who went then now lives out there and I've been trying to head back since. I'm tired of waiting on people so I'm just like eff it, I'll do the drive alone. I can make some calls while driving, but as far as driving, I think I'll be alright. I enjoy driving.

6. Scarface281

Sierra Blanca checkpoint. It only catches traffic going eastbound, so I would be good.

7. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

I drove from Houston to Phoenix with my dad and brother 5 years ago. Had the cruise control exactly at 80 on the 80 MPH stretch of I-10 and we didn't get pulled over.

Will you be driving alone? As ThatBoyNick said, having someone along for the ride will definitely help. I drove through Texas (which will take all day), and my dad took over once we got to Las Cruces.

IIRC, there's another checkpoint in New Mexico too. I don't remember if it's an agricultural checkpoint, though

1 person likes this.
  8. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I take my gf even when I go to Austin. Guaranteed BJ while I'm driving because she gets bored.

But seriously it's not bad. I drove from the East coast to Houston, close to 2000 miles in 2 days. About 13 hrs each day.

9. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

I drive out to west texas from Houston about twice a month. I've been pulled over by those small town cops in Sonora and Ozona for going 4 and 5 mph over the speed limit...was given warning both times...just had to not be a dick and apologize :eek:. I'd say keep it at 80 (which is what I always do now)...that extra 10 mph will only save you about 30 mins of extra driving or so. It's not worth it. Also, after Ozona you'll be out of cell range for about an hour or so until you hit around exit 305. Other than that it's pretty cool, lots of rolling hills and such. I hadn't been out to El Paso or beyond since I was 13 though :eek:

1 person likes this.
  10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

i wear diapers when on long trips.

11. Scarface281

Damn what aholes. They have to make their money somehow I guess. Cheapest place to refuel west of San Antonio?

Will consider.

12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Easy way to get around this, If you have drugs on deck I definitely wouldn't consider driving along the border of mexico because they are tripping. Take the highway 40 route instead. It's 3 hours longer, but it keeps you a good distance from the boarder at all times, decent stopping places in Dallas, Amarillo, Albuquerque, Flagstaff then you hit LA. Stopping by Vegas on that route would be quite easy as well if you wanted.

13. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Never encountered a speed trap in west Texas, I've driven 110mph out there, not a car in sight. But lots of speed traps west of NM.

14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

My tip ... I-10.

15. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I remember as a kid, my family drove from Houston to LA and it seemed like it took forever(2days non-stop). The two things I remember was at night in West Texas, you could see El Paso from miles and miles away but remember it taking forever to actually reach it cause its so barren out there. The second thing was Phoenix and that dry heat is a killer.

16. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Your refueling route sounds good, although I usually stop in Boerne (Bernie) which is in NW San Antonio (exit 550)...there is an Exxon/McDonalds that is quick off and back on the freeway. It seems like gas outside the major areas is a bit more expensive. If you get about 25 mpg you should be able to make it to Fort Stockton with no issues from Boerne.

17. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Music will get boring after a while. My advice is to pre-download some lengthy podcasts of your choice. Also, don't forget your phone's car charger.

I would also suggest leaving earlier than 8am. 6am would be better and you could probably even stretch the first night's stay in Arizona that way, rather than New Mexico.

**Edit: Why not just fly instead? I know you said you wanted to see the country, but Austin nonstop to Long Beach, CA (right outside of LA) is $99 on Saturday, April 25th. Book at JetBlue.com.

#17 s land balla, Mar 22, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2015
  18. Scarface281

I'm leaning on flying. Have a relative in the airline industry, so I get flights for free. I was just thinking I would try something different

19. Jontro

Jontro Member

Fly breh. Rent a car when you get there. Get a joint when you're in Cali.

20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

**** that bro take that free flight.

So much more of a chill experience. Road trips are fun with friends sometimes, but that far being alone it would probably be a pain in the ass even if you like driving.