1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Driving to Chicago

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rock8ts, Jun 4, 2007.

Tags:
  1. rock8ts

rock8ts Member

I'm planning to drive to Chicago with my new Murano next month. This is going to be my first time to drive this long, I think my longest was to El Paso.

Any tips?

Is it worth it to get AAA membership? What is the best route to take? Where the best place ( major city ) to stop over/ spend a night?

Thanks.

2. rock8ts

rock8ts Member

Drving from Houston, that is.. :)

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Man, there's not really a straight shot. Either 59 up to Texarkana, hit I-40 to West Memphis, up I-55 to either I-57 or keep going through St. Louis.

I've also gone I-10 east to I-55 just east of Baton Rouge or taken I-45 up to Dallas, 75 up through Oklahoma, then hitting I-44 there to St. Louis.

4. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

I´ve made this drive a couple of times. We always take 59 N up to Texarkana, then get on the interstate towards Little Rock, Memphis, up through southern Illinois (we stayed the night at my cousins´place in southern Illinois... it usually takes 12 hours to get this far).

The drive from southern Illinois up to Chicago was another 5 hours. For your route, I´d recommend driving one day from Houston and stay the night in Memphis. The next morning, hit the road for Chicago.

5. rock8ts

rock8ts Member

that's what I have in mind, stay a night in Memphis to see the graceland.

6. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

Check your fluids before you leave.

7. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

I know a lot of people that really don't like Memphis, but I think it's a great city to spend a couple of days in. There's a lot more to do than just see Graceland (I thought it was pretty silly)...The downtown/Beale St. area is really fun, lots of neat restaraunts, shopping, bars, and night clubs. If you have the money, I'd recommend staying at the Peabody Hotel.

8. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

What brings you to Chicago? I´m moving there from Houston in August and have been debating whether to fly or drive as well...

9. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

Get a Garmin. Yao Ming says so.

10. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

Be careful to not get lost around Texarkana. When 59 ends there is no direct access to I-30. I got lost in Texarkana my first trip up there. Memphis or Little Rock is ok for a rest. Watch out for the Arkansas State troopers. They are everywhere, sometimes in plain sight, sometimes not. But I learned to watch out for them.
    The Texas state troopers seem to be waiting at the top of hills. I remember racing some guy and luckily decided to slow down as we went up the hill. A couple seconds later I see a cop going after him.

Both the I-59 part of Texas and the I-57 part of Illinois seem to go on forever. You might want to take I-55 if you want to go through St. Louis and Springfield. But I-57 is faster.

11. rock8ts

rock8ts Member

I just want to spend a week there to visit my brother. My is afraid of flying so this is cost effective since there's 4 of us to travel and more fun.

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

When I moved to Chicago (and when I finally moved back to Houston), I made that drive. Not much advice for you other than to avoid spending the night in Cairo, IL. Place wasn't much of a looker when I was there.

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Have done this a few times and there's not really much to recommend or avoid other than to just follow the line on the map. If you want to stop in Memphis it is as good a place as any to break the journey.

14. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

how new is your car? dont they recommend that you have your oil changed first before you go on a long trip in a new car???

15. rock8ts

rock8ts Member

about 1100 miles now. next oil change is 3500 miles. good thing you brought tht up, i'll check my user's manual.

thanks.

16. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

np. I had the same concerns when i got my car a couple years ago and was driving out to west texas...not as far as chicago of course but still a solid road trip

17. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

no love for swilkins. :(

18. rock8ts

rock8ts Member

it's a brand new car so it didn't really hit me to check my fluids :).

thanks anyways. :D