1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Driver's License Renewal advice?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Royals Ego, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

My driver's license is due to expire in a couple weeks, looking to get this done quick and pain-free

I am not eligible to renew my license online, and according to this thread I will be driving the extra 25 minutes to avoid long lines.

My question is, am I required to retake the vision/eye exam for my renewal? I drive without my glasses because they were stolen and I haven't gotten them replaced because I seldom drive on unfamiliar, unlit roads at night.

Anyone who has recently renewed their license can chime in? Thanks!

2. Prince

Prince Member

u can do online if you're in Texas.

3. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

4. codell

codell Contributing Member

I had to renew my license this week. I too was not "eligible" to do so online, as I had already done it once about 5-6 years ago (I believe the rule is, you can renew every other time online).

Anyway, was going to the DPS on Grant Rd. near Cypress Creek HS, but at 3pm, the line was 20 deep outside the door. I knew the DPS location on Clay Rd., the one in Humble and the one in Conroe would be just as bad, if not worse. So I said "**** it" and drove out to the DPS in Hempstead. Glad I did, the wait was only about 5-10 mins (only 3 people in line ahead of me).

If you have the time, and would rather not wait in line, drive out to Hempstead.

5. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

do you wear corrective lenses, if so, did they test your vision?

6. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I wear corrective lenses and I haven't had to check my vision when renewing since drivers ed. (I just renewed for the 3rd time in Austin about 5 months ago)

If you go to the right DMV, it'll take you 30 seconds once you get to the front of the line.

7. codell

codell Contributing Member

Yes. They still made me do a vision test, with my glasses on. I guess to make sure I wasn't blind. :)

8. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

I guess it depends on the DMV...? We'll see...