1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Drinking Alcohol on Lunch Break

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Sadat X, Oct 15, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

What do you guys think about having a beer at lunch during your lunch break? I know it would depend on the type of job (operating machinery, driver, ect.) but if you worked in an office?

I recently had lunch with some employees and I was the only one that ordered a beer. They looked at me like I had shot up some heroin.

2. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

I have done that plenty of times. Typically when there are other co workers doing the same thing. I could see how it would be awkward if you are the only one that did it.

Back in the day, people drank at work all the time. Hell, in my industry (O&G) many people have liquor in their offices.

3. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Yeah, you really just have to read your company. At my office they have bear in the fridge and people expect some sort of explanation if you don't order alcohol at lunch.

4. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

Is shooting up heroin really that much worse than having a beer? Don't be so judgmental.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

:p

1 person likes this.
  6. CCorn

CCorn Member

Depends on the industry and depends on your coworkers.

Tons of sales companies keep the good **** in the office.

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

That doesn't fly where I work. I think it's an automatic firing. But I have known people who've done it before.

8. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

I am in oil & gas sales, but we have a smaller office that does not keep beer in the fridge unfortunately.

With our place, we all typically do our own thing for lunch and rarely go out as a group. I thought that maybe I wasnt the only one that does this but apparently so.

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I work a corporate job. If you're buying your own lunch, alcohol would be frowned upon. If it's some kind of business lunch where the company is picking up the tab, you look to the senior person at the table. If they order alcohol, you can too.

And generally no alcohol on the premises. I remember we had an event in the office to celebrate a big victory for the company; they served an alcoholic punch and we were all :eek:.

10. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Don't be surprised if you get picked to have a random drug test a few weeks from now. ;)

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

No, only if my boss orders one

12. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

You probably want to check your employment contract and Code of Conduct, it could be one of those things your manager pulls out if you haven't gotten any bad reviews. One company I worked for brought in an open bar during the mid-day Halloween party, but the operations part is D.O.T regulated and they can breathalyzer you anytime they want.

13. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Drinking alcohol comes with the assumption that you are not going to be productive for the rest of the day.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

aaah the good ol' daytime drinking

15. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

We had HR come in and give us the low down on the exact same issue

Our policy is if you're having one drink, better go home. Don't return to work that day.

16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

We do it all the time. But we are a startup.

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Totally unacceptable at my company, unfortunately. Grounds for termination.

Back in my younger days when I worked at Enterprise Rent A Car, we would drink all day.....

I once worked at a call center and we could see the office where the person who recorded our calls worked. So if she wasn't there, it was open season. We could do whatever the hell we wanted with no consequences. We would drink, answer calls with fake voices, fake names, etc. I used to answer calls imitating characters from the Phil Hendrie Show. "Welcome to Chase, this is Vernon Dozier, what do you want!" Good times....

18. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think there is anything wrong with it, but it's certainly not the norm, plus i do think most code of conducts have it as a no-no.

What I question is, why would you order if no one else had? Sometimes it is better to follow the group. And second, I love beer but having just one beer seems like a waste.

19. Jontro

Jontro Member

We used to shoot heroin on our lunch breaks. But alcohol, that's off limits.

20. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

You also have realize it could lead to other issues, like drowsiness or nodding off, that could be reported or written up, depending upon the type of manager.