1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Drexler on Rome Show this hour (1pm)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old School, Feb 8, 2000.

Tags:
  1. Old School

Old School Member

FYI...just heard Rome say Clyde was coming up on the show this hour.

610am for those who didn't already know.

Old School

2. Old School

Old School Member

Drexler finally came on the show and after a few question from Rome pretty much came down on Sir Charles saying he wasn't a hard worker and couldn't play "d"...confirmed what Pippen had to say. Also said Charles lead to his decision to not come back and play when he retired. He said he realized they couldn't win with that team.

If only Drex could coach as good as he could talk.

Old School

3. Steve Phrancis

Ohhh, Dat was OldSkewl! Bust a load on that Jugglar. I can'ts believe you just said that..
    'Cougs not doing to well 'eh. I guess that is why Charles wasn't invited to his retirement party. It is funny that it didn't appear that Dream and Chuckster didn't have problems. I know they had some run-ins like the time Dream was crying when he didn't get the ball in the last few seconds and stuff. But they have been good friends.

As for Pip da Drip.. He will always be a 2nd tier player. Who always needs lots of cheese to go along with that WHINE!.

4. Beck

Beck Contributing Member

Whats the point of Clyde making those comments? Yes, Clyde has the right to say whatever he wants, well I guess John Rocker would disagree, but anyway, nothing can be accomplished by making those comments about Charles. Pippen made the comments and, although I disagree with him, he had a reason for it... he wanted out of Houston. Yes, Scottie proved himself class-less by doing it, but at least his comments were intended to accomplish something. He got out, and now is proving everyone who said he was one of the best role players of all time right.

------------------
    - Beck

Dream...bring back the goggles

5. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

No offense to all the Clyde fans, but...

It takes a man to say what he thinks to another man. To go to the press to express your thoughts is classless (never thought I would ever say classless to Clyde).

Although I have always underestimated Clyde, I always thought he had a ton of class.
    Maybe not being able to coach is really bothering Clyde, cause I never expected that out of him.

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I really lost a lot of respect for Clyde the day that we lost to Utah in game 5 in '98. After having one of his worst games of his career, he left the court smiling.

Now this. I didn't agree with Barkley's comments about Iverson, Elie, and Drexler either (even though I suspect them to be true). Barkley has been working hard, and has consistently been a hard worker throughout his career. Rebounding among giants when you're 6'4'' isn't something you do by not working hard.

I don't understand why Hakeem never had a problem with Barkley? It only seems to be people who either have their light stolen by Barkley, or players who wish they were still playing with him who talk this crap.

Plus, I'm sure that Rome, is idiotic ego still not intact from Barkley shunning him all these years, didn't egg Clyde on or anything.
    My wallpaper just changed.

7. Dreamshake

Dreamshake Contributing Member

No offense to Chuck wagon or his fans but.... if thats the stipulation of manhood, Chuck is the non classiest, least manly to play in the NBA. He's made several comments about other players through the press. Not man to man.

8. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Did anybody ever stop to think that maybe what Drexler, Jordan, Pippen, George Karl, etc. etc. etc. have said about Barkley just may actually be true?

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I heard that too, but he did not say anything that MJ, Pippen, or others have said.

Chuck has never been known to play good D, and he knows his shortcomings.

As Clyde said. "I just called a spade a spade"

DaDakota

10. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Dreamshake-
    Did I ever say CB was classy? Answer: No

CB is my favorite player because of what he does on the court and his show that he puts on off the court, not necessarily like what he does but that's Chuck.

Drexler had always been a classy person, what he did to CB was classles.

11. Old School

Old School Member

I have no problem with Clyde calling it as he sees it. It wasn't like he brought up the subject of Charles...Rome did and Clyde just answered how he felt.

On the othe hand, Clyde should not be one to call out someone elses character. I've heard the stories about how he didn't show up for his radio gigs in time and Reid had to fill in. He also didn't show up for his coaches show on Channel 2 a few times so they canceled it last season. Maybe Chuck's work ethics aren't the greatest but his numbers speaks for itself.

Old School

12. Dirt

Dirt Member

Why is it that players that complain about Barkley "not working hard" [I take that to
    mean in practice,since only an idiot would
    say he does'nt work hard in games]are usually
    players that essentially stink when it really matters,in games ie Pippen last year,Clyde in his last year etc? I guess maybe if Barkley had actually practiced hard,he would have been,by far,the best ever???!!!!

13. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

So how do you guys dubbing Clyde "classless" know that he never addressed the issue with Charles, personally, man-to-man.

Why is it that anybody who says anything against Charles is immediately "clasless" and wrong.

Why don't we look at the facts for a minute. How many guys (championship veteran guys I might add) have had problems with Charles?

You know, maybe some of us should consider the other side of the story?

14. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

With all due respect to Clyde:

how to take the high road:
    "I don't have anything to say about Clyde," Barkley said. "I don't have an opinion one way or another. I wish him the best at the University of Houston."

on what show?
    Drexler, in the interview with Rome...

oh yeah, the Rome show.... the model of great journalism. I can understand Dream being on the Rome show, he's a businessman, there's a fee to be had, etc.; he's also so honorable he cannot see the bad in anyone (except for someone w/ a bad soul back in 97-98... anyone? anyone?).

and the best part:
    and that kind of helped in my decision to retire. [​IMG]

As much as I like the image of a player of Drexler's stature 'riding off into the sunset'... on his terms, he was not going to be brought back. He wanted a huge contract, he was 36 at the time (3 35+ year olds is a drag), and Rudy stuck w/ his system. The Rockets freed up cap space Clyde's cap space and immediately went after Antonio McDyess.

Clyde, stick to what works. You had us all with your humble demeanor... Charles gets away with it b/c he's been reminding us not to respect him for 16 years.

15. djones

djones Member

I think this is all really unfair to Chuck. I don't recall him bashing either Pip or Clyde, so why do they come at him like that. Chuck has been one to stand by his team mates. Even when everyone knew he and Clyde weren't the closest of friends, he still showed respect for him and didn't bad mouth him. Same with Pip. Barkley always stood by him. First for Pip to totally rip him the way he did was straight up wrong. In my opinion Clyde should have used discretion in answering that question. He did try to cover himself by stressing his respect for Barkley, but I feel he should have plead the 5th. Barkley has had his days when he spoke bad of other in the media (i.e. "The Answer"). Maybe it is coming back around on him. Either way I don't think it's right at all.

My mom taught me: "If you don't have anything good to say about someone, don't say nothing at all."

16. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Wanna know why Barkley and Dream never had problems? Well...

1) I am sure that Barkley has never said anything bad about a player that either beat him or was better than him.

2) I am sure that Dream just don't give a damn about stuff like that.

All Clyde has to just let it go. Damn, this is sooooo old and why kick a man while hes down? And then to take up for Pippen who basically just ripped Barkley for nothing is totally un-Clyde.

Just let it go, man. Let it go.

------------------
    Live Rocketball. Breathe Rocketball. Die with Rocketball.

[This message has been edited by Almu (edited February 09, 2000).]

17. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

Before I put in my 2 cents, I would like to say that I love both Glide & Charles. If I have to choose one, I will take Glide because of his roots in Houston.

I missed the Rome interview, so I may be off in my assumption. I think Glide was trying to go along with the village idiot (VI), just like 95% of the guests do on the show. I think Glide knows that VI dislike Charles, so why not play along and become a VI's pet. I think Glide does not mind at all for VI to prep up UH once in a while in this national radio show in the future.

I am not saying that Glide lied and wasn't speaking from his heart, what I am saying is "Is this really necessary?" All Glide had to say when the VI asked him the question is to say "Barkley & Pippen are both my friends. The quarrel between the two is something that is between them and I would prefer not to get into it." Is that hard to say? It is BS that he likes to speak what is in his mind and call a spade a spade. Everyone in this world has weaknesses and have made mistakes, I don't see Glide calling out anybody else. Why didn't he call out Dr. J (who I loved ever since I picked up basketball), who commited adultery? Instead, Glide in his ceremony commented that Dr. J was a great family man.

I am not here to defend Barkley, because he IS lazy on defense. What I am commenting about is Glide's need to make such comments.

I agree with djones' Mom totally.
    If you don't have anything good to say about someone, don't say nothing at all."

Glide, I thought you were better than this.

18. rblh

rblh Contributing Member

I have always like Barkley but loved Clyde even more due to the fact that we are both UH alumni. Clyde had always carry himself well, but his recent comment on Barkley is beyond that of a classy individual. Barkley have done many stupid things in the past (some are classless), as a result I only like him but never consider him as one of my favorite. On the other hand Clyde was one of my favorite because I thought he has class. Clyde's recent behavior made me realize he is not as classy as he portrait himself to be. If he truly want to call a spade a spade, why praise DR. J as a family man when it was all over the news that Erving committed adultery. Clyde should have taken the high road and avoid making any negative comments on Barkley.

[This message has been edited by rblh (edited February 09, 2000).]

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Right on RDLH

I was at Drexler Day... We miss you Drexler.

With that said, I've got one thing to say regarding his comments.

Drexler, you never had to carry on your back huge men like Malone, Kemp, Willis, Thorpe, Oakley, Rodman to get your points. Nobody can tell a 6'4" man doing battle with mountains every night how to get physically fit. No one!! nor can he recover as fast as these bigger men....nor can he even lift his shoulders sometimes for defense. IT IS NOT THE SAME as your finesse game or Pippen's.

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited February 09, 2000).]

20. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

I don't think that Pippens ridiculing from the press and fans was unfair. He lashed out for no reason to a person who sacrificed a HELL of a lot to bring him here. Although I am disappointed in Glyde, he spoke his mind without the childish name-calling and personal attacks offered by Pippen.

Charles has never been known for defense. Perhaps his "lack of effort" on defense was him thinking it better to simply try to stay with his man rather than risk his man blowing by him.

I have been in situations where some of my peers had to work harder than me. Some friends of mine worked their butts off to maintain a good GPA, while others didn't do a damn thing and still got excellent grades.

I guess what I am trying to say is that Charles is an MVP, an all 50 member, and a gold medal winner. His numbers speak for themselves as does his effort on the court. I love Charles Barkley, and he has nothing to prove to me.

------------------
    Proud Cheerleader 'til we move to New Orleans