1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Drew's numbers as a starter

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 7, 2000.

Tags:
  1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Check out these numbers:

In 5 starts for Bryce Drew, the team is 3-2 and Bryce is averaging per game:

42.8 minutes
    17.2 points
    6.6 assists
    1.8 turnovers
    2.8 rebounds
    44.7% shooting (34-76)
    39% three-pointers (12-31)

You can't tell me point guard-starved teams don't look at the numbers when Drew gets the minutes...

2. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

Don't confuse his detractors with positive stats.

3. Rocketability

Rocketability Member

Impressive! Maybe it's Drew, not Mobley, who is our trade block. [​IMG]

4. TraJ

TraJ Member

Hey, those are good numbers. Now let's get rid of him. [​IMG]

I think he needs to be a starter to do well in this league (as others have said). I'd like to keep him, but it makes more sense to trade him. We can't give him the minutes he needs and deserves, and we have some holes to fill in other places. The Rocket's phone ought to be ringing right about now. If we could package him with Walt and get a good small forward and a backup point guard (neither of which are too old), I think that would be great.

5. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

NEWS FLASH

Bryce Drew is not going to be a starting point guard in this league for any serious team (.500+) in the near future. He has produced some very good numbers when he has started. He is improving, and is lightyears ahead of last year. But, the guy is a back up. Teams are looking at him as a solid contributing back up. So, why would his starting numbers have any more weight than his non-starting numbers?

Drew's Non-starting numbers: (43 games)

17.23 minutes
    5.88 points
    1.88 assists
    1.14 turnovers
    1.30 rebounds
    37.65% shooting (93-247)
    39.22% three-pointers (40-102)

*(You know ever since I posted these numbers, I thought something looked funny. They weren't exactly proving my point. So, I went back and found that I had somehow totally screwed up the calculations. The numbers are correct now, if anyone wants to check me... unless the Houston Rockets official web site has incorrect stats for him.)

If any team is looking at Drew, they're looking at him to be a spark off the bench, to be able to come into a game cold and produce, etc.

I'm really not dogging Bryce. I'm just trying to see it realistically. If we trade Drew it will be in a package deal, and he will just be the icing on the cake not the meat and potatoes of the deal

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.

[This message has been edited by DREAMer (edited February 09, 2000).]

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Toronto needs PGs. I would take Drew over any of theirs.

7. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

So I guess the Clippers would be interested in Drew to come in and back up, who, Troy Hudson?

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Drew absolutely could be a starter in this league. He reminds me of a young Mark Price. He can shoot, understands the game, and is an excellent passer.

I would have loved to have this guy starting that year we lost to Utah with Maloney.

DaDakota

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Which year. I guess you forgot that Maloney played excellent as a rookie in '97. Maybe in '98 I would have taken Drew, but that's a big maybe. '97, no way.

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I do believe that Drew can be a decent starting PG in this league.

I just don't feel that he would have done better than Maloney did his rookie year. Did you watch Drew last year. In the same offense, he looked like a deer in headlights the entire year. He has made such a remarkable improvement (much due to the change in offensive style), that people still look to last year to judge him. I would love to keep him as our backup, but if we can get something for him in the way of a solid 3, then I say go for it.

11. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Well let's be fair about this... Drew's minutes drop almost 25 minutes a game coming of the bench, so it's unfair to say that he doesn't play as well off the bench...
    In fact, the only stat that really drops when you consider his production BY MINUTE is his field goal percentage... The rest of his numbers are comparable, if not BETTER...
    Plus, you have to consider that, coming off the bench, he gets a lot of playing time alongside Mobley, which keeps the ball out of his hands more... So he's really not doing all that bad of a job...
    Course.... he's shown he can do better... all the more reason for teams to show interest... he's a good pickup even when he's not playing at his full potential....

------------------
    "There are three kinds of lies:
    Lies, Damned Lies, and STATISTICS..."
    - Mark Twain -

12. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Dreamer

I don't really understand what you're trying to say. You provided Bryce Drew's stats as an option off the bench, but how does that prove Drew is not a capable starter?

13. UT Baller

UT Baller Member

I think that the Rox ought to trade Drew and Walt to the Clipps for Kandi or to the Knicks for Thomas and Wallace.

14. Mr. McDyess

Mr. McDyess Member

The only team Drew starts on in the NBA is the Clippers. If you can rob someone from the Clippers then more power to ya. But he aint all that if you know what I mean

15. alaskansnowman

Drew plays <strong>better</strong> as a starter, but that <strong>does not</strong> mean that he plays bad as a backup.

I'm just glad that he <strong>is capable</strong> of putting up some very quality numbers. On any given day, he can light it up. So I'm just real happy about that.

16. haven

haven Member

In what way did Maloney playe better in 97? Drew shoots better, passes better, and drives better than Maloney ever did. Maloney *did* have a very high 3pt %, but that was largely because of all the easy shots he got off double teams... Drew doesn't get those as he seldom plays w/Francis on the court.

How is Drew *not* a starter? He's put up great numbers and certainly looks better than quite a few of the league's starting PG's. Here are a few starters who I might place Drew above: Charlie Ward, Steve Nash, MAYBE Avery Johnson, whoever the Bulls use on any given day, Bimbo Coles, Doug Christie, Harper/Fisher. I think he clearly could compete with, and probably win, a starting job from any one of these guys. On a statistical basis, he's better than quite a few other PG's, who I'm currently hesitant to add to this list... much more controversial [​IMG]. Added to this, I think Drew still has a great deal of room to develop.

So why ISN'T drew an NBA quality starting PG?

[This message has been edited by haven (edited February 08, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by haven (edited February 08, 2000).]

17. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

New York, Toronto, LA, LAC, etc. all could use Drew's services....Chicago too. Did I mention New York? Charlie Ward, in my opinion, is the worst starting PG in the league. Chris Childs, a mirror image of Ward, is just as bad. Drew would be a great addition there, but who would they give us?

I know, we could get Ewing and revive the days of the Twin Towers!

Just a joke! Please don't respond to that comment!

18. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

HEY, it could be worse....we could have Maloney!!!

19. haven

haven Member

McDyess: thanks for your insightful comment [​IMG]... please explain why he couldn't start in place of any of those other teams I listed.