1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Drew Gooden Commits to Sign with Spurs

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Omer, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Omer

Omer Member

Forward Drew Gooden has committed to sign with the San Antonio Spurs after he clears waivers Wednesday morning, two league executives said Tuesday evening.

Gooden was released by the Sacramento Kings late Sunday, making him eligible to play for another team during the playoffs. The Spurs expect to sign Gooden for about $1.5 million, the remainder of their midlevel exception. The contract keeps the team below the NBA’s luxury-tax threshold.

Gooden’s imminent signing also comes as the Cleveland Cavaliers have reached agreement with forward Joe Smith, an Eastern Conference executive said.

Gooden averaged 13.1 points and 8.6 rebounds in 31 games with the Chicago Bulls before he was traded to the Kings on Feb. 18. The Kings reached a buyout agreement with Gooden that saved the franchise about $1.8 million.

Gooden recently has battled a groin injury, but the Spurs are comfortable with giving him as much time as needed to heal in hopes he’ll be ready for the playoffs.

Spurs officials, who have looked for frontcourt help and tried to trade for Los Angeles Clippers center Marcus Camby, envision Gooden as a backup to Matt Bonner.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-goodenspurs030309&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

-------------

It's never easy, but it just got tougher for us.

2. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Eh, it makes the Spurs better for sure but I know Landry or Scola can check him.

3. matty101

matty101 Member

WOW.

amazing deals for both teams, especially the Spurs.

4. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

A terrific addition for the Spurs. More mobile & athletic than Oberto and Thomas. Good rebounder (esp. offensive) + nice jumper. Gooden's defense is a little weak.

5. johnkamla

johnkamla Contributing Member

Solid move by the Spurs, similar to when they brought in Kurt Thomas. They were kind of thin up front. Now they have a pretty solid rotation of big men. I still like our guys better though. Yao/Scola is becoming one of the bet 1/2 punches in the league. Then Landry, Hayes and Deke (if needed) off the bench is solid no matter how you slice it.

6. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I wasn't very excited about the prospect of him coming to the Rockets, but I am a little uneasy about him signing with the Spurs.

7. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Solid player and pick up for San Antonio, but I would be concerned over the Sports Hernia if that is true.

8. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

ugh i hate the spurs.

if they weren't so afraid to call duncan a center gooden would start for them.

at center he'd be the 5th or 6th best of all time. at PF he's easily the best ever. marketing at its finest.

9. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

Joe Smith goes back to the Cavs. That's a little surprise. I thought Smith would go to the Celtics. Now, the Celtics dont look so good. Their frontline without PJ Brown is a little weak. PJ Brown really helped the Celtics in their championship run.

10. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Good move for the Spurs. They're basically getting a player putting up Scola numbers for next to nothing.

11. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

Why nobody talks about Stromile Swift going to the Suns? Steve Nash is going to make Swift an all-star. :D

12. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

stupid players always find a way to help you lose games

13. jose

jose Member

wow I really didnt want gooden to go the spurs, that's bad

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Boston signed Mikki Moore. No need for Smith.

15. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

They're bringing him in to backup Matt Bonner. I don't know if we should compare him to Scola.

16. jlwee

jlwee Member

Gooden is a ball hog but he provide Spurs another big body who is a solid rebounder.

Smith still has games left in his tank?

17. jose

jose Member

he's not going to back up bonner.

this is not good at all, when manu comes back it makes the spurs by far a top 2 team in the west.

18. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Some of you are underestimating this pickup for San Antonio. It's big. Gooden gives San Antonio something they have not had in ages...athleticism up front. Gooden is going to have a field day feasting off Duncan's double teams and missed shots. His defense isn't great but in San Antonio's system he'll learn enough to stay on the court.

San Antonio is heading to the Finals.

19. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I doubt in a contract year he would sign with SA unless they agreed to a definite role/minutes beforehand. I would guess Pop guaranteed him 20 minutes a night or so spread out at both the four and five. I think we pretty much all know the labels are rather useless when trying to label SA's big men given how they slide all over the place during the course of the game. Plus, I wasn't comparing him to Scola in the first place. Just saying SA is getting a big putting up Scola numbers in a "down year" for next to nothing. You have to like the sound of that if you're a SA fan.

20. lalala902102001

Gooden can play. He is a good rebounder and an underrated scorer. He can give the Spurs the boost they need in the playoffs.

This sucks for the rest of the western conference.