1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dress shoes

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by kaitanuva, Feb 14, 2014.

1. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

Thinking of getting some Allen Edmonds using Amazon's 20% off fashion stuff. Have you guys had any before? How were they?

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

3. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

4. Sajan

Sajan Member

5. Roxnostalgia

Roxnostalgia Contributing Member

They have a huuuuge range of widths. You should be able to find a size that fits. Go to an AE store or Nordstrom to ensure your size before buying.

Some complain about the quality in recent years. They may have fallen off but are still a fine shoe. I have many pairs and they are a great day to day shoe.

6. Sajan

Sajan Member

Width equivalents: B{narrow}, C{narrow medium}, D{medium}, E{wide}, 3E{extra wide}.

7. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

Sounds like a good plan. Just Googled and found a store near by, guess I'll hit it up soon.

8. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

I love Allen Edmonds but like others have said, each shoe fits different. When they do, they are great. Be sure to get shoe trees for them because they make them last so much longer.

I have 9 pairs of AE shoes. That seems excessive.

9. brooksstephens

I own the black Park Avenues and the Walnut Strands... LOVE them. You'll never get more compliments on a dress shoe than when you are wearing some AE Strands

10. calcium

calcium Member

Great shoes. But the pair I got is not compatible with the orthotics I need to wear.
    Just standard orthotics.

11. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

ebay is the best place for AEs

12. dmc89

dmc89 Member

They are good quality, partially made in USA, for a reasonable MSRP. On sale, they are a great buy.

13. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

14. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

They fit comfortably enough to be worth the premium over Cole Haans or Johnston Murphys (just stating the generic high-dollar department store brand). The only analogy I can think of is the way decent cowboy boots fit your feet after a couple of days. But make sure you invest in a good shoe hospital to get them shined and soled when necessary so you don't feel wasteful after a year.

15. ling ling

ling ling Member

16. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Wait for a sale on Bally's or Ferragamo.

17. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Both Bally and Ferragamo sell glue-soled shoes at a higher price point that someone would pay for Goodyear-soled AEs. You can't re-sole glue sole shoes, so once the heel wears out, the shoe is good for nothing but the garbage. The Goodyear-soled Bally and Ferrragamo shoes are considerably more expensive. Finally, Ferragamo's have a hellish break-in period. If you're going to pay that much for shoes, I would recommend Gravati shoes instead, as they're better made and ridiculously comfortable (I have 2 pairs - one from Milan and one from the US).

My sister and I got my Dad a pair of the AE Delrays for Father's Day, and he is extremely happy with them.

BTW, the term "last" does not apply strictly to the width, but rather the shape of the shoe (width being but one factor). So I second the recommendation to make sure the last (you can look it up on the AE website) fits your foot comfortably, especially if you have particularly wide or narrow feet.

For more information on good shoes, check this post out:

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

can't imagine buying shoes online without first trying them on in a store. The store might even match the online price...no harm in asking.

19. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

anyone who's got some shoes that's not made in china or india by any chance? I noticed it's getting harder and harder to find Italian made loafers or dress shoes nowadays... at a reasonable price that is.

20. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

I prefer Salvatore Ferragamo