1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dreamcasting For Ray Allen, Rasheed Wallace

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Here is a dreamcast of off season moves I feel will best improve the Rockets while surrounding Yao Ming with the appropriate personnel to run in JVG's system. It is rather involved but the moves allow us to get the players that will best augment this team. Using our current talent, the 6.9M Trade Exception and the MLE, this is what I could see us doing.

NOTE: The trades below are NOT checked via their salaries since I didnt have that reference in front of me. I have sort of an idea of what everyone makes but am not 100% sure this works salary cap wise. If there are some salaries that are off, making the trades void, perhaps a few lesser players can be added to the trades to balance them out. Also, the trades I made were to improve the team "right away" as I feel this team has waited long enough on "potential" (lost potential) from young players.

What I am targetting with these moves is to improve areas in which we are lacking.
    1) Outside shooting to stretch defenses.
    2) Better passing / decision making.
    3) Rebounding / post defense without sacraficing too much on offense there.
    4) Energy off the bench.
    5) Creating more 'quality' depth to keep players more fresh.

With those points in mind....let's put the GM hat on and get to work! ;-)
    And Les, open up your checkbook! :p

¥ The first move is a 3-way trade between Houston, Seattle and Chicago.

Houston trades:
    Steve Francis
    Maurice Taylor

Houston receives
    Ray Allen
    Jerome Williams

Why Houston does this:

In trading Francis, Houston decides that Francis' skillset is not one that works well with Yao Ming or in JVG's system. JVG has said in the past that he wants to surround Yao with shooters. By getting Ray Allen the Rockets get a player that is only 1.5 years older than Francis, has decent playoff veteran experience and is one of the best shooters in the game today. The Rockets can sell this trade to Rockets fans because they are moving an ALL STAR in Francis for another ALL STAR in Ray Allen. We dont have to wait for "potential" here, we have consistancy right from the get-go with Allen while we wait for the potential in Yao Ming. There are going to be nights when Yao is having a tough night when the Rockets need a STAR player to pick up the slack and Ray Allen would be that guy. Shaq has Kobe, Yao would have Ray Allen. It is also worth noting that in this trade we would be moving Francis to the EAST and out of the West.

Addionally, the Rockets get a player in Jerome Williams who is a firecracker off the bench, offering hustle, rebounds and energy. This is something sorely missed on this team and is something that Weatherspoon has brought to this team recently. Clearly we can't rely on Weatherspoon to do this as his skills are limited but Williams is a significant upgrade and someone that can be a solid rotational player. We give up Taylor in this move, a player that is much more offensively skilled than Williams but we will make up for that loss in a move after this one. Read below.

Seattle trades:
    Ray Allen
    Jerome James

Seattle receives:
    Eddy Curry
    Maurice Taylor

Why Seattle does this:

Seattle recognizes that they have a team full of 1's, 2's and 3's and dont have anything in the post. They SORELY need a low post precense both defensively and offensively to match up with their very good outside game. They can't take it to the next level without it. It has been reported in the newspapers that the Sonics are looking to trade Ray Allen and this is just the type of deal that they would love to pull the trigger on. They can feel comfortable in trading Ray Allen because they have Flip Murray that can take his place and they still have Rashard Lewis. The prize of course is Eddy Curry and they add Mo Taylor as well to round out their 4/5 combo.

Chicago trades:
    Eddy Curry
    Jerome Williams

Chicago recevies:
    Steve Francis
    Jerome James

Why Chicago does this:

Chicago appears to be building it's team around Kirk Hinrich and it appears he is untouchable. But the 'baby bulls' appear VERY available! Chicago is getting restless with Eddy Curry. He just doesn't seem to play hard enough. So they look around for the best possible deal and get a chance to grab one of the more flashy and exciting guards in the NBA in Steve Francis. They still have Antonio Davis to man the middle and Chandler at PF so giving up Curry isn't too much. They add a very good scoring guard in Francis to match in the backcourt with Hinrich. It is believed that Hinrich's currrent backcourt mate, Jamal Crawford, will sign somewhere else after this seaosn. Also the Bulls add Jerome James to play backup Center whose contract is shorter than Jerome Williams who they would send to Houston.

¥ Houston trades Kelvin Cato for Philly's Eric Snow.

The second move I would make is to try to obtain a PG. ESPN's David Aldridge already threw this out in one of his recent chats so let's use it. Philly is probably looking to blow up the team and doesn't want to wait on Snow's very long contract and instead take back Cato's shorter contract and adding more size in the front court. Cato is playing less and less these days and with adding Jerome Williams and Rasheed Wallace (read below) Cato becomes more irrelivant whereas getting a solid PG in Snow who can direct the floor and play defense is very important.

¥ Detroit S&T Rasheed Wallace to the Rockets for the 6.9 TE + 2005 1st round pick.

The third move I want to make is to use the Trade Exception we got in the Glen Rice trade and obtain Rasheed Wallace.

Why Detroit does this:

Detroit has a dilemma. They want to re-sign Okur but only have the MLE to offer IF they want to re-sign Wallace. I feel Wallace will not take the MLE to stay with Detroit. He can take that anywhere. I feel that Okur's bidding price will get bid UP past the MLE (think Denver and Utah) and Detroit will be forced to either S&T Wallace somewhere or renounce him, letting him go to a RIVAL IN THE EAST in say New York. When Detroit comes to the conclusion they can't have both, their next best move is to ship Wallace out WEST and not to an East Rival.

The Rockets have the 6.9M TE that we can trade for him so the Pistons dont have to TAKE BACK SALARY in the trade. We offer a 2005 1st round pick as a sweetener. Detroit sent a 1st round pick and their expiring contracts to get Wallace, they get cap space and a 1st rounder in return when the ship him out. They come out even and keep Okur. NOTE: I would be willing to send Detroit Nachbar or Pike as another sweetener but by doing that it adds salary and they need that salary cap room for Okur. You would think Wallace would be pretty happy to get a contract starting at 6.9 million with an up and coming team in Houston (plus he is buds with Mobley) versus taking the 5.1 MLE somewhere else like New York.

Why the Rockets do this:

In giving up Mo Taylor, the Rockets gave away one of their ONLY 2 post players leaving the team with Yao Ming. For the Rockets offense to work properly it needs post players to balance it out and in getting Wallace it gives the Rockets a solid post player that is versitile enough to also bring his game outside to strech defenses for Yao Ming. Wallace can play any of the 3 front court positions allowing us great flexibility. I believe Wallace would do well in JVG's offense and system and him getting away from the Blazers will allow him to settle down and not have as many off the court distractions. Clearly getting Wallace for the TE + 1st rounder is a huge coup for the Rockets.

¥ MLE: Charlie Ward, Eric Williams

With all of these moves the Rockets STILL have the MLE to use. I would suggest we use it to add depth to our bench since that is a problem right now. There are many ways you can go with the MLE, but for the sake of argument I am going to target 2 players and split the MLE.

Rockets split the MLE and sign PG: Charlie Ward, and SF: Eric Williams. This gives the Rockets a solid backup PG that JVG trusts and a player in Eric Williams that is a solid veteran. Earlier in the year it was rumored we might have traded Mobley for Williams and Battie. So perhaps this shows an interest there in Williams.

¥ FINAL RESULTS

OUT: Francis, Taylor, Cato, T.E. and MLE
    IN: Ray Allen, Jerome Williams, Eric Snow, Rasheed Wallace, Eric Williams, Charlie Ward

This then leaves us with the finished line up of

PG: Eric Snow / Charlie Ward
    SG: Ray Allen / Cuttino Mobley / Eric Piatkowski
    SF: Jim Jackson / Eric Williams / Bostjan Nachbar
    PF: Rasheed Wallace / Jerome Williams / C. Weatherspoon
    C: Yao Ming

The Rockets have a VERY solid starting 5 + solid BENCH DEPTH in Ward, Mobley, E. Williams and J. Williams. You can go 9 deep here at least leaving Pike, Nachbar and Spoon as situational players.

Let's review the list again

1) Outside shooting to stretch defenses.
    CHECK: Ray Allen, Rasheed Wallace

2) Better passing / decision making.
    CHECK: Eric Snow, Charlie Ward, Ray Allen, Rasheed Wallace

3) Rebounding / post defense without sacraficing too much on offense there.
    CHECK: Rasheed Wallace, Jerome Williams

4) Energy off the bench.
    CHECK: Jerome Williams and Eric Willians

5) Creating more 'quality' depth to keep players more fresh.
    CHECK: Cuttino Mobley (serious 6th man candidate), Jerome Williams, Eric Williams, Charlie Ward

Thoughts?

2. BiggestWinner

BiggestWinner Member

3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

It's sensical, and possibly even modestly doable.

What you left out is Cat. A 40+ minute a game guy in a year he can opt out is not going to be tenable as a benchie. So, include him in your mix and match.

Pardon my myopia -- BUT -- Philly would kiss Rox BUTTS to do Snow/Cato. You need to get Dalembaert, too. Or more, at the very least, than 'just' ES.

Finally, more size at the 4 please. Oh, sorry, you expect sheed to 'man' the 4 not roam like a 3?

4. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Chicago gets Steve Francis for Fat boy Curry?

5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

and keeps Chandler (whom I covet for Rox).

The basic set up was done ok, and was interesting. A few details needed to be ironed out. Go for the broad brush.

6. codell

codell Contributing Member

As usual with one of these fantasy trade threads, someone gets screwed and in this case, its Seattle.

They give up one of the best all around shooting guards in the game and all they get back is Curry and Taylor?? Soft and softer????

I would venture to guess that Sea might actually prefer Radmonovic over Mo anyway.

7. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I think it's ambitious but far more realistic than 99.9% of the scenarios proposed here.

One of the factors behind Seattle looking to move Ray Allen is he has one more year on his contract, and has hinted that he'll walk if he doesn't like where the team is heading. He's virtually said if they don't keep Brent Barry, he's walking.

Also, Rasheed sources swear he's going to NY for the MLE even if he gets better financial dollars. That could always change, of course.

Only other issue I can say is Les' luxury tax issue.
    Next Year:
    Ray - $15
    Rasheed - $7
    Eric Snow - $5
    Charlie Ward - $5.5
    -->$32.5
    Steve, Mo, Cato - $27.7

Rockets committed salary for next year would become $56.3 mill, with 11 players (meaning, at least 1 to 3 more would be added, bumping payroll to about $60).

That would be a high caliber team, though, no doubt.

Evan

8. solid

solid Contributing Member

I liked your frequent use of the word "solid," and if it came to pass, and if there was chemistry, it would be a killer line-up talent-wise. I'll take it over our present line-up, for sure.

9. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

This doesn't work:

1) If the team is building around Hinrich, as you say, and they have Crawford, who they believe will become a star, why would they want Francis? Makes no sense.
    2) As someone already said, Seattle can get more for Allen. They'd want an allstar or potential allstar back too. Curry might have more value in the East. where there are few centers and good PFs.
    3) This trade looks like someone from Chicago came up with it. Chicago would have to give up Chandler, Hinrich and/or their #1 pick. To get an allstar for only Curry and Williams would be a huge coup for them. Curry doesn't command that trade value.

Now, I do believe that Chicago is excited about Hinrich, but they don't view him as a star. Francis IS a star, and would sell lots of tickets, so I believe they'd trade Hinrich, if they were getting Francis. I also believe they like Cato. So, a Francis/Cato package is quite realistic, but for some combination of Hinrich, Chandler, Curry, their #1, and getting rid of Eddie Robinsons's contract.

In your scenario, Chicago would have to give a lot more, Seattle would have to recieve a lot more, and Houston would have to get more too.

10. Charvo

Charvo Member

Any trade that gets Ray Allen in Houston is good even if it means giving up future draft picks.

11. amed

amed Contributing Member

Seattle gets raped. Chicago steals Francis. To do this type(s) of deals you need a smart GM and Dawson is not one of them. Dawson= worst GM is Sports. Can the Rockets get Hinsicker to look over thier roster and make some move for them??

12. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

My Offseason WishList:

1. Get Rashard Lewis: the Rockets need to swallow their pride and make a deal for him. He is a big 3 that can shoot and rebound, would be a nice player with Yao.

2. Get any type of a REAL PF, a guy like Boozer would be a dream, but unlikely.

3. As much as I love Steve, he doesn't work in a JVG offense and there is no use for wasting all that talent. Bringing in a guy like
    J. Crawford, B. Barry, Heinrich, would be nice.

But the main offseason goal should be getting a real PF, we our getting outplayed by western forwards night in-night out.

13. tbui

tbui Member

A seattle trade seems most probable. But only one of these deals and surely not all of them as proposed have a chance of happening. I think if Houston puts Cato or Mo Taylor in the mix there would be a great probability of acquiring an Allen type player. It is probable that a huge multiplayer deal involving conditional picks will be made or a three team deal as proposed by Deuce, although I don't think Seatlle would accept a deal leaving them with Curry and Taylor. Look for Washington to make a move for Francis perhaps involving Arenas. It could happen, reuniting Dixon with Franchise, who grew up in the Baltimore area. The deal with Rasheed Wallace is that he is an absurdly overrated player. Wallace's defense is not that impressive. His career rebounding average is 6.7 and he has never avergaed 20 points a season. The Rockets should spend money on a starting point guard, and valuable bench players. I don't know who is out there, but Chris Anderson and Doleac is intriguing. An Anthony Johnson type player would greatly benefit the team.

14. C-Kompii

C-Kompii Member

Nice proposal, but I think Francis and a future number 1 draft for Allen straight up might do the deal 'if' he needs to be traded at the end of the season.

And no thanks to Snow, he cant shoot the wide open shots to save this life, his 3 point % this season is at a pathetic 0.067% (not a typo), and his best 3 point % shooting season was only 0.263% with a career average of 0.199%.

Allen can also play the point at times, and we might be do a sign and trade using either Cator or Taylor for Barry plus a scrub they want to off-load. This way leaving us with the MLE to pick up a decent powerforward that can shoot the mid range jumper and play defence. This will give us a team that surrounds Yao with shooters and play makers.

PG- Barry/Allen
    SG- Allen/Mobley
    SF- JJ/Pike
    PF- MLE forward/Taylor or Cato
    C - Yao/MLE forward or Cato

But we'll see how this season goes before we jump in too quickly, but if Seatle nods its head to his proposal, we should seriously consider it.

-G'day-

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Looks like the concensus is that Seattle is giving up too much for Curry/Taylor. Obviously since I wrote the trade idea I feel they wouldn't considering Allen may leave anyway after next year and they would get nothing.

Let's put it this way, it is clear that the Sonics need a low post player(s) or else the team will be spinning it's wheels. If not a Allen for Curry/Taylor package then what? Curry has a lot of potential and can score at the center spot. Is there a better young center prospect than Curry?

What could Seattle get MORE for Allen in terms of low post play that would fill the C and PF positions?

Anyone?

16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The Bulls dont think Crawford will be back actually. He is a FA this year and will probably leave. He is very disgruntled there. I dont think they feel he will be a star, that's why Hinrich took his position at PG.

They do view him as a star. They certainly dont think Crawford will become a star and Hinrich wont. They feel Hinrich is the star of the team and I dont think they would trade Hinrich for Francis to tell you the truth.

Fair enough. If you feel Chicago would have to give more then who should get what?

17. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

As I've said before, if Steve isn't on the team, I want no part of Eric Snow. The only reason Snow is a good fit now is because he's a big defensive minded point guard that would allow Steve to shift to the 2 and still guard the 1. Snow's shooting would be a disaster in an offense centered around Yao. Plus I'm pretty sure he's signed through 2008-09, that's a long time for a guy already in his early 30s.

18. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

this proposal is interesting and fun. some of the trades might be possible, some maybe not. the thing that strikes me as the least likely though is signing charlie ward as a back up. the rockets already passed up on him because Les Alexander doesn't want an anti-semite on his team.

19. beyao

beyao Contributing Member

sounds logical and viable...i hope someone from rox management already has this idea on their minds.

20. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

Here is my dreamcasting: Trade Steve and Cat for Mcgrady. Sign B. Barry for the MLE. S&T for R. Wallace with the TE and 1rd round pick. Try to trade Cato or Mo for PG or SF options. Keep 1 of them.....
    Our lineup:

Barry
    Mcgrady
    JJ
    Wallace
    Yao

hey, it can happen:cool: