1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Dream vs Shaq (1st 8 seasons)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 4chuckie, Jun 21, 2000.

1. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

I pulled together the averages for these 2 after their first eight seasons (mostly because there are a few threads comparing these 2 and the two championship teams). All stats are per game stats:
    Dream Shaq
    Games 594 534
    Min 36.7 37.7
    FGA 17.6 19.1
    FG% 51.2 57.7
    FTA 6.9 10.1
    FT% 69.3 53.4
    BLK 3.5 2.7
    ST 2.0 0.7
    TO 3.1 2.9
    PF 4.0 3.4
    RBS 12.5 12.4
    AST 2.2 2.7
    PTS 22.9 27.5

My conclusion: Dream was more durable (missed fewer games) although Shaq did lose a potential 30 games to the strike. Both played eavy minutes. Shaq takes more shots and hits more FG, Dream is much more reliable from the line.
    Dream is a better defensive player (blocks, steals). They are similar with rebounds. Dream was very foul prone earlyu in his career.
    Shaq appears to be a better passer (more assists). Also Shaq high FG% and more FG attempts gave him an additional 4 pts/game.
    Shaq does have better offensive stats, but Dream has better defensive stats.

------------------

2. hoopjunkie

hoopjunkie Member

If Hakeem had the level of talent around him his first 8 years that Shaq has had around him his first 8 years, then his assist numbers would be considerably higher.

Think of some of the Shaq counterparts thoughout his career: Penny Hardaway, Kobe Bryan, Glen Rice

I think that Hakeem's passing for a big man takes a backseat to none. Hakeem has basically caried the franchise his entire career.

------------------
    - hoopjunkie

"when you come in da HOOD... things change."

3. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Junkie, but Shaq took more shots and had less TOs and more assists (meaning that Shaq shoots more and has more assists). I know that doesn't prove anything but I think Shaq is a nice passer out of the post as well. I know it is impossible to prove who is a better passer, but yeah Shaq did benefit from Penny & Anderson in Orlando & Kobe & Rice in LA.
    You are right from 92-96 Dream always averaged over 3.5 Asts/game, when he had better talent around him, but I wanted to limit to comparable years (1st 8 yrs).

------------------

4. hoopjunkie

hoopjunkie Member

I agree that Shaq is a good passer for a big man, but also consider the Hakeem Era Houston system. Hakeem had to be an excellent passer. If they kept a stat for second assists (eg. you pass the ball, they pass the ball the shot is taken and made) Hakeem's stats would likely be staggering. The way the Rockets would swing the ball around the key made it hard for the post passer to collect the stats.

Great topic. [​IMG]

------------------
    - hoopjunkie

"when you come in da HOOD... things change."

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Come on, stop this revisionist history.

2 things to remember

1. Hakeem was a horrible passer early in his career.
    2. Hakeem was a black hole, he never passed, until Rudy took over and convinced him to trust his teamates.

NO OFFENSE on Hakeem

DaDakota

------------------

6. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

DaDakota,

That's one take.

I believe that Akeem didn't have anyone to pass to and was unstoppable when he did have the ball.

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.
    DREAMer's Rocket Page

7. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

If a 51.2% FG is unstoppable then what do you consider 57.7%, and also consider Shaq gets to the line 3-4 more times/game than Dream.
    Dream may have been the best player on the team, but the best player usaully gets doubled, which means someone should be open.
    I kind of lean towards Dakota here that early on Dream tried to do too much himself, and it was until the championship years that he discovered that his teammates (Mario, Sam) could knock down the open Jumpers.
    The second assist thing makes sense as well especially during the championship years where the Rockets were hitting a ton of 3's. From the post when he kicked it out it usually took two passes to get a wide open 3, so I can buy that argument.

------------------

8. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

Hakeem could also do something Shaq never could or will, shoot. When you see Shaq attempting anything outside of the paint it is usually and ugly brick. That is why the fg% differs. Hakeem can shoot from all around the court. While Shaq camps in the post for 10 seconds, goes over the back for a rebound and oafishly lays it in. Plus Hakeem didn't have the officials and nbc on his side.

------------------
    I AM SPARTACUS

9. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There is no need to make up excuses for Dream because his numbers are lower than Shaq's. Things to remember:

He had really only played 4 years of organized ball before the NBA - so his earlier years he was not as good as he ended up. Shaq was way ahead of him as a rookie - of course his numbers were higher earlier.

Hakeem could not pass, didn't trust anyone, was mean, fouled like crazy, and pretty raw at first. This does not take away from his entire carreer, it just is being honest.

This thread has brought other Dream memories to mind...

What is amazing is that he really is only 6'10" and has dominated big men for so long.

He started out playing the 4, with Ralph "I want to be a point guard" Sampson at the 5.

He came close to shooting 80% on ft's a couple of years.

He was almost run out of town, accused of faking an injury and being impossible to deal with.

What other little things have there been?

------------------

rimbaud post-a-thon 2000

[This message has been edited by rimbaud (edited June 22, 2000).]

10. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There is no need to make up excuses for Dream because his numbers are lower than Shaq's. Things to remember:

He had really only played 4 years of organized ball before the NBA - so his earlier years he was not as good as he ended up. Shaq was way ahead of him as a rookie - of course his numbers were higher earlier.

Hakeem could not pass, didn't trust anyone, was mean, and pretty raw at first. This does not take away from his entire carreer, it just is being honest.

This thread has brought other Dream memories to mind...

What is amazing is that he really is only 6'10" and has dominated big men for so long.

He started out playing the 4, with Ralph "I want to be a point guard" Sampson at the 5.

He came close to shooting 80% on ft's a couple of years.

He was almost run out of town, accused of faking an injury and being impossible to deal with.

Remember when Dream did not get a foul call, he was on his knees and held out his arms - a ref ran into his arm, threw him out of the game and then the league suspended him for a game (or two?)? That was classic.

What other little things have there been?

------------------
    rimbaud post-a-thon 2000

11. playahata

playahata Member

Also...name another center worth a damn right now. Shaq sees none....there was still Moses Malone, Kareem, Parish, Ewing, etc. in the early stages of Dream's career. Who's left???? Ewing, Robinson, and Mourning.

------------------

12. alaskansnowman

There really is no way to stop Shaq, except to make him work on the offensive end. That is why the fact that there really arent too many quality centers is so important. With a EWing or Robinson or Hakeem for that matter in their primes, Shaq would be forced to work on the defensive end. When Rik Smits wasnt missing wide open shots, he actually gave Shaq a lotta trouble on the offensive end.

------------------
    treasurer of the moochie norris fan club

13. Beck

Beck Contributing Member

Shaq ia a poor on-ball defender. He goes for any fake you throw up. He gets away with a lot of contact, but Hakeem did too (early in his career, he has gotten screwed in the past 3-5 years). I think that Dream has more impressive numbers because he has posted these numbers against better centers. Kareem, Ewing, Robinson, Mutombo and even lesser centers like Marc Eaton and Kevin Duckworth. I know it sounds strange to hear the names of Eaton and Duckworth mentioned but if these guys were in their primes today they would be top 10 centers.

------------------
    - Beck

Dream...bring back the goggles

14. Da Man

Da Man Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Didn't Shaq average 29 ppg in during the 94-95 season when Robinson, Hakeem, Ewing, and Mourning were all near or at their primes. I think he averaged about 27 a game the year before. Shaq is a good player. So was Hakeem. Let's leave it at that.

------------------

15. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Beck-
    You are definetely right! If we can mention Cato as a top 10 center then Eaton & Duckworth would be there too!

------------------