1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dream Hot Trade Rumor (1992)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by xiki, Jul 28, 2017.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

for those old enough to remember some of these guys, this was a fun read:

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1992-06-13/sports/1992165071_1_portland-center-nba-shooting-guard

Olajuwon for Seikaly? NBA trade mill is whirring
    June 13, 1992|By Alan Goldstein | Alan Goldstein,Staff Writer
    PORTLAND, Ore. -- There is no better marketplace for weighing NBA trade rumors than in the hotel headquarters for the media and non-participating coaches during the championship series.

And swap stories are in abundance this year, with a number of high-profile players involved. All-NBA center Hakeem Olajuwon, who has had recurring contract problems with the Houston Rockets, is the biggest star on the auction block. Miami reportedly has offered center Rony Seikaly in return, but balked when the Rockets also wanted the Heat to include shooting guard Glen Rice or point guard Steve Smith.

The Rockets might be more inclined to deal with the Los Angeles Lakers, who reportedly have offered a package that includes forward James Worthy, center Elden Campbell and center/forward Vlade Divac, plus a future No. 1 draft pick. Houston would be asked to include shooting guard Sleepy Floyd.

[​IMG]
    The San Antonio Spurs, seeking consistent outside shooting, are wooing the Milwaukee Bucks' Dale Ellis, offering their first-round selection (18th) in exchange. Bucks sources said Ellis is unloved by his teammates.

The Dallas Mavericks appear ready to trade anyone on their roster, but their backcourt of Derek Harper and Rolando Blackman are both stamped for shipment. The hottest trade report has Harper going to the Seattle SuperSonics for younger point guard Gary Payton, who has failed to fulfill his promise.

The Golden State Warriors, still desperate for a big man to balance their offense, would like to pry either Luc Longley or Felton Spencer away from the Minnesota Timberwolves, who are expected to draft Duke center Christian Laettner. The Wolves, in turn, are trying to move unhappy point guard Pooh Richardson, with Atlanta showing considerable interest. The Hawks were not impressed by Rumeal Robinson's ability to run their offense this season.

There are no hot reports, at the moment, concerning Charles Barkley, the Philadelphia 76ers outspoken All-NBA forward, who has repeatedly criticized management for failing to improve the team.

* Game 4 between the Bulls and Blazers received a 16.0 rating and 29 audience share, a 5 percent increase over last year's Game 4 of the NBA Finals between the Bulls and Lakers. But the four-game average for the 1992 matchup is down 5 percent from the 1991 finals.

* Shaler Halimon, who played forward for both the Bulls and Blazers during his pro basketball career, is now driving a Metro bus in Portland.

* Portland center Kevin Duckworth says he was only joking when he told the media that he would like to be a worm farmer when he retires from the NBA. "Really, I'd like to be a baseball player, a first baseman in the majors. I hear they make good money."

* Will Perdue, the Bulls' 7-foot backup center, has been missing in action during the first four games of the NBA Finals. He has played a total of nine minutes, not appearing in two of the contests.

"Sure, I wonder about not playing," he said, "but to question it now I'd be rocking the boat or considered a bad apple. I'll just wait until this summer to see what the explanation is."

Perdue was much more active in the opening playoff round against Miami, playing 13 minutes a game and scoring a career playoff high 16 points in the series opener.

Bulls coach Phil Jackson says Perdue's lack of activity against Portland is due to matchup problems. "When the Blazers go to the bench, Cliff Robinson is too quick for Perdue to guard," Jackson said. "Scott Williams is a better match for us."

Perdue, a first-round pick (11th overall) in 1988, is entering his option year at $650,000. "That's a bargain basement price, especially for a backup center," he said. "I'm sure the Bulls will pick up my option next season. After that, we'll just have to wait and see."

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thank goodness we had a great GM in Steve Patterson

BHannes2BHonest and LFE171 like this.
  3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I always heard it was close; I've always wondered just how close. Charlie and Hakeem on that long plane ride close, is what I knew.

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  4. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

What a disaster that trade woulda been.

5. HoustonCRT

HoustonCRT Member

God smiled down upon us and didn't let a trade go through.

6. RockWest

RockWest Contributing Member

" All-NBA center Hakeem Olajuwon, who has had recurring contract problems with the Houston Rockets, " what was the contract problems? I thought any team would give him Max no questions asked.

7. aroundtheblock2

Is this a thread to insinuate trading for Melo is a bad idea?

8. BleedsRocketRed

Its crazy that I remember watching every single player listed in that article play and what they looked like back then.

Damn, time has just flown by.

BHannes2BHonest, fba34 and xiki like this.
  9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Young-ins....

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Hated Seikaly as a player... but I love the music he puts out as a dj. lol.

tinman likes this.
  11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

How did you come up with that? Trading for the Lebanese Lion would have been bad (a 'nightmare' had Hakeem been included) has nada to do with Melo unless you think the Ryno would be ripsnortin'?

12. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

All I know is the Rockets are damn lucky that Riley wasn't with the Heat at that time. Bet your ass he would've given up either Rice or Smith with Seikaly to get that deal done.

CCity Zero and fba34 like this.
  13. hakeemthagreat

Seikaly>>>>>>>>>>DMo

14. tinman

Supporting Member

Hakeem for Seikaly? No.

Maybe Oakenfold and Tiesto and MSTRKFT

JoeBarelyCares likes this.
  15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

The only thing I remember about Ronny was that he married a hot supermodel

fba34 likes this.
  16. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Hmm. Does this count as a necro-bump?

This article just goes to show you that many times you don't appreciate what you have until it's gone.

Dream is the best center of all time and should never have been in contract disputes or trade rumors! But perspective is everything.

17. RockWest

RockWest Contributing Member

Was this supposed to be an answer?

18. rockets94-95

rockets94-95 Member

Yes indeed. That long plane ride back from Japan after two games there to start the season helped repair the damage. It seemed clear that Hakeem's faith played a big role in moving forward as well. It was Thomas's last big move before selling the team to Les and what a move it was.

19. tinman

Supporting Member

Don't forget Steve Patterson

20. jayfree

jayfree Member

*Sigh* Another 92er thread :)