1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dream denies late visit from Rudy, CD, and Cuttino

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Cat, Aug 2, 2001.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

It also appears the Rockets have evaluated Jelani Mccoy...

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/sports/bk/bkn/989098

Dream's departure leaves no hard feelings in his wake

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2001 Houston Chronicle

Rudy Tomjanovich had seen signs Hakeem Olajuwon could be gone for weeks, maybe longer. Even if he hadn't, he had to know the day would come eventually when he would be the Rockets' coach and Olajuwon would not be his center.

Olajuwon had been slipping toward the Toronto Raptors for days, and could have been pointing out of town for longer. But when the call came, they talked and an icon of Houston sports and the fulcrum of the Rockets' success under Tomjanovich was gone. And for all the warning signs, Tomjanovich could not help but feel the shock.

"For me personally, it will be the first time I've had a basketball team and Hakeem Olajuwon is not on that team," Tomjanovich said. "He's the guy behind my success. I'm not ashamed to say that. I'm proud of that.

"I thought we had a tremendous association and success. The city, the Rockets, myself, my family owe him a great debt of gratitude."

Tomjanovich, who played his entire career with the Rockets, said he understood Olajuwon's decision and that the center was leaving to chase another championship.

"This is the NBA and ... free agency is a part of it. We had a very good, positive, cordial conversation. Dream is a champion. He is a competitor. He has found a situation where he can go for another ring. He explained that to me. Even though there is a great sense of loss, to see a champion to go after it, I have to give nothing but my blessing. I respect the guy so much for that."

Tomjanovich, Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson and guard Cuttino Mobley had hoped to make a late appeal by visiting Olajuwon on Tuesday, but Olajuwon asked they not make the trip.

Olajuwon did not make his decision until after the Rockets increased their offer to a guaranteed $13 million over three seasons. But he seemed to be resigned to leaving for several days.

"You could tell from the tone of his voice that he had made up his mind," Rockets owner Leslie Alexander said. "An aura is gone. We'll have to build a new aura around new, young stars."

The Rockets' next move, however, is unclear. They have not reached a consensus of whether to pursue free agent Marc Jackson, a physical, 6-10, 270-pound center who has expressed considerable interest in playing for the Rockets.

Jackson is weighing an offer to sign with the Pacers, according to several sources. But sources said offers he has received would allow the Rockets to remain under the budget needed to sign Maurice Taylor and Shandon Anderson in the available salary cap space.

The Rockets could not use the $5.1 million trade exception they will receive from the Raptors to acquire Jackson because he could not be permitted to sign with the Warriors for that large a salary. The Rockets, sources said, have also evaluated Seattle free agent Jelani McCoy, sources said.

Jackson's agent, Joel Bell, declined comment.

Tomjanovich said he did want to make a decision yet about replacing Olajuwon on the Rockets roster, calling losing Olajuwon one of the toughest things he has been through in his career.

"It's an emotional time," Tomjanovich said. "We were always holding out that we could work this out. We made (signing Olajuwon) our No. 1 priority."

Alexander said he hoped the shock would wear off relatively quickly, especially with young players who had not played very long with Olajuwon.

"I've really enjoyed playing with Hakeem," said Rockets forward Matt Bullard, a teammate of Olajuwon's for nine of Bullard's 10 NBA seasons. "I feel like being able to play with him made me better player and helped me in my career. I'll always appreciate the opportunity to play with one of the best players of all time.

"Hakeem was the major force behind back to back championship, the first championships in the city of Houston. The people of Houston will always have Hakeem as the player brought the first championships to the city of Houston."

Alexander said he understood why the coaching staff would be so shaken by the development, but that they would not have to wonder if more could have been done to keep Olajuwon with the Rockets.

"They were there day to day with Dream. I'm not," Alexander said. "Rudy is more emotionally attached. They are together practice to practice, all the games, all the plane rides. There is camaraderie. We put all our effort into signing him. There was nothing left to do."

Knowing that they made a good run at Olajuwon could eventually help. But that knowledge, or understanding why he made his decision, did not dampen the shock on Wednesday.

"I understand, this is a good situation for him," Tomjanovich said. "He is a competitive player. He's a champion. He wanted to go for another ring. And I've got to accept it.

"Even though this thing did not turn out the way I would have liked it to turn out, I have to accept it. Even when Dream is playing for another team, I know I will pull for the guy and I hope he does get a chance to go for another championship, and I hope it's against us."

------------------
    Draftsource.net-- the premier source for draft info. Profiles, rankings, mock drafts, and more!

The Mo Taylor Fan Site

[This message has been edited by The Cat (edited August 01, 2001).]

2. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Hope Cuttino was going to talk smack to him [​IMG] and tell him he just gets in the way of his iso's and jacking off [​IMG]

------------------
    "The things I enjoy most, I suck at:
    1) Sex: everything's fine until she makes noises." - Achebe

3. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Thanks Cat!
    All of this is just depressing. I wish Hakeem the best, and praise Mobley( hey..I love Cuttino!) for trying to persuade an icon to stay in Houston.

Cod

------------------
    The Number One Cuttino Mobley Fan! Don't hate..Congratulate!

4. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They did what they could. The whole team feels deflated right now.

I like what I'm seeing from Cuttino. He's taking on a whole new leadership role for this team, and he's ready for it.

I think McCoy would be a better fit as a backup 4 than KT, if he comes at the right price. He has a good long athletic 6'10'' frame, blocks shots, pretty solid defense, and scores garbage buckets. Depends how much he costs though.

------------------
    "I think the organization was looking at it from a business point of view, which is only a very small picture. If you look at the big picture, it wouldn't make any sense." -Hakeem Olajuwon, on a possible trade to Toronto, 7/02/99

5. Rockettebustier

Smeg:"...and tell him he just gets in the way of his iso and jacking off"

Was that a freudian slip smeg?

oops kids may read this board.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rockettebustier (edited August 01, 2001).]

6. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Jelani is good friends with Mobley and Francis. I remember I went to a rockets vs sonics game this year. And the 3 were all talking and laughing alot before the game. Mccoy didnt play that game, he was in his suit.

------------------
    "The girls danced, started fondling me, I got aroused, they performed oral sex," Ewing said. "I hung around a little bit and talked to them, then I left."

7. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

I've also noticed Cuttino becoming more of a leader this summer.

On McCoy, you bring him in to play the 5, not the 4! It makes no sense to sign him to play power forward when you have a perfectly cheap, able alternative in Thomas, who has done NOTHING to lose his backup spot.

BTW, I'd take Jelani over Collier in a heartbeat. I just don't see Jason fitting in. All Jason Collier is to the Rockets is 6 fouls. Nothing more... that's reality.

That's not to say that those kind of players don't have a place on teams. It's nice to have that luxury.

------------------
    President of the Kenny Thomas for all-media team fan club.

[This message has been edited by tacoma park legend (edited August 01, 2001).]

8. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

double post

------------------
    President of the Kenny Thomas for all-media team club.

[This message has been edited by tacoma park legend (edited August 01, 2001).]

9. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

If we could somehow fit in Jelani McCoy AND Marc Jackson we would be in BUSINESS! A trio of McCoy, Jackson, and the wide body, shooting of Collier gives us 3 different type of centers to throw out there, and depth. That would be sweet!

------------------
    What if I say to you that the universe is a three-legged horse, eh? What then?
    - Russell Hoban

10. CaucasionSensation

Wow, I hadn't even thought of Jelani McCoy, and though I would still probably lean in favor of Marc Jackson, McCoy to me would be a somewhat exciting addition. Oh and of course McCoy over Collier, anything else would be just silly.

------------------

11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Jelani McCoy is a good shotblocker but with a very limited offensive game,he played well in his rookie year but hasn't shown a hard work ethic since then.I don't think he would be of much use to us.Jackson would be more expensive but would be a better choice.

------------------

12. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

A question for crispee, or Jeff, or anybody who might havea clue, is it possible for the Rockets to possibly get McCoy AND Jackson? I don't know WHAT McCoy is asking for, or if he wants to start, but it would be nice to get both.

------------------
    What if I say to you that the universe is a three-legged horse, eh? What then?
    - Russell Hoban

13. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

I couldn't agree more, but you better not let the Cat hear you say that.

------------------
    Protrolls.com!

I will always be a fan of Hakeem "the Dream" Olajuwon.

The ZRBucks!

14. Dogbelly

Dogbelly Member

6 fouls is more than you can get out of Cato. And you don't have to pay him $42 million.

------------------
    "If you don't understand it,
    don't try to understand it."
    -Carl Everett