1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Dragic's Ball Handling Skills

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RX2012, Mar 30, 2011.

Tags:
  1. RX2012

RX2012 Member

I think they need improvement. His hands look slightly un-coordinated. I never really knew if turnovers were a big thing for him in Phoenix. Does anyone have any comments on this and do you think he can improve this?

2. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Every now and then he tends to get out of control, but he is a gifted ball handler. I don't have his TO to assist ratio.

3. ashishduh

ashishduh Contributing Member

He still looks lost out there a lot and tries to just create by himself, I think that's the main problem. His actual turnover rate was no worse than Nash's but I don't know if he made as many passes as Nash either.

4. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

he occasionally goes too fast and losing control, but i'd say they are decent.

5. Defy9

Defy9 Member

He's a pretty good ball handler I think but he is also a showboater who sometimes does that behind the back for no reason.

6. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

His ballhandling skills are pretty good, he just tries to get too creative. Something that Manu does.

7. RX2012

RX2012 Member

alright, thanks guys for helping me acquire some inner confidence in him. I just seemed to have noticed this but maybe i've magnified it from my own perception. I'm glad this guy is a Rocket, however.

8. Mashing

Mashing Member

I'm not worried about his ball handling skills, but his floor generalness leaves something to be desired. When he came in he didn't do a good job of getting his teammates involved. There was too much standing around. However, that's compared to Lowry and that's probably not a fair comparison. Lowry is so good at directing his teammates.

9. worzel gummidge

Philly is very athletic and have long arms. Dragic isn't the only one struggling to protect the ball against that.

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

His turnovers are a problem. His turnover ratio this year is much higher than Lowry's or Nash's.

11. choujie

choujie Member

Ish fits RA's system better. Or maybe he knows the system better. Gragic needs more time.

However, Dragic plays good defense, and the pace slows down when he's running the team. D + slower pace == not losing ground much for 2nd unit, that gives Lowry and starters some room for rest.

12. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Give him time. He doesn't know how to run an offense that takes about a year and a half to know how to run.

13. oneleftalive

oneleftalive Member

he really likes the behind-the-back move, even though its unnecessary sometimes

14. oneleftalive

oneleftalive Member

but i do like his handling through the tight baseline, almost nash-esque

15. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Dragon simply trying to make something happen as soon as possible so he doesn't have to get in the half court set, which he seems to have trouble with.

16. Roxs-Redemption

17. SeabrookMiglla

Dragic (roll the "R")

not sure what to think about the dragic/brooks trade it was a give and take. we gave offense for defense with a number 1 draft choice that added a little sweetener to the deal.

Dragic doesn't really have handles and is a bit clumsy, but he does add defense and can score in the paint. Brooks could drive with the tear drop finish, but dragic seems to avoid being posted up and rejected as brooks would.When the trade first went down i was on the suns fan-site and was reading what they had to say about him. many suns fans seemed reluctant to trade him, despite his slump this season which reminisced of brooks' slump. Although some consistent criticisms that were apparent pointed to his passing, TO and 3pnt shooting ability.

although i think dragic has a lot of upside, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLWjQ7nZTkI

but i honestly like a PG with sturdy handles like brooks had, but i think the rockets were looking for more perimeter D while the Suns were looking for a scoring Nash-like short PG. in this sense i think it was an even trade, Dragic is a few years younger than brooks is as well. Brooks/Dragic passing skills seem to be similar, they have some moves but dont look to pass.

what im wondering is if goran is here in houston to stay, i mean i know at this point everyone is an asset but i wonder what rick thinks about this trade. i think rick liked brooks, but i dont think that he was crazy about him.

18. macho GRANDE

macho GRANDE Elvis, was a hero to most but................

He doesnt impress me whatsoever

19. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

Didn't Dragic lead the league in turnovers per minute while he was with Phoenix?

His handles aren't great and neither is his PG ability, but his defense is a plus.

Ishmael didn't run our offense better. He just ran the pick and roll better. In fact Ishmael runs the pick n roll better than 90% of PGs in the NBA.

20. rolandvpro

rolandvpro Member

try deez on your chin and see if you are un-coordinated