1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Dragic: 2008 Phoenix Suns Draft Night War Room Video

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Here's a blog post from Steve Kerr as the GM of the Suns after the 2008 NBA draft, in which they selected Robin Lopez and Goran Dragic.

On Dragic, he wrote:

http://blog.suns.com/2008/06/516/

Also, click on the "Video: Inside the Suns’ War Room" link for a 20-minute video of the Suns draft war room. The Dragic-related portion starts at 7:50 or so. Really interesting to hear what Steve Kerr and his assistant David Griffin had to say about Dragic. Those guys were excited. They said that they thought Dragic was the 2nd best PG prospect on their board. They also mentioned he's 6'3.5'' with 6'7'' wingspan.

There is also a video of Dragic's first workout for the Suns and an interview afterward.

#1 Carl Herrera, Apr 7, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  2. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

I'm going to cry if he leaves. I don't even want to think about it.

3. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I first heard of him when Rose dunked on him, they were calling him Tragic. I became a big fan after he destroyed the Spurs. He was becoming more and more Nash like every game.

4. AFS

AFS Member

I wonder why they gave up on him so quickly. I thought he was playing well in PHX.

5. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

I'll be crushed. He's slowly but surely becoming one of my all-time favorite Rockets.

6. cod

cod Member

New front office. Kerr and Griffin were goneburger.

7. Carl Herrera

He played well in his 2nd season, but was struggling in his 3rd season when he got traded. The deal was Dragic + 1st round pick for Aaron Brooks.

8. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I still can't believe they gave us a pick too loololol

9. Carl Herrera

As Clutch as noted, the pick (23rd overall last year) was basically what enable the Rockets to draft Motiejunas. The Rockets traded the 23rd pick, plus a Memphis 2013 protected 1st rounder (acquired from the Battier/Thabeet deal), to Minny in order to move up 3 spots to #20 and draft Motiejunas.

So, if Motiejunas works out for the team, that trade is gonna look even nicer.

Anyhow, the video is really worth checking out. I think the version here is edited. There used to be a longer version in which David Griffin (the nerdy guy with glasses) got a phone call from Daryl Morey (who didn't recognize who "Griff" was, which annoyed Griff) to discuss acquiring the 48th pick. I think either Clutch or Feigen was able to confirm that this conversation took place but, obviously, the trade didn't work out.

One thing to note: This is the same draft in which the Rockets landed Donte Greene (later traded for Artest) and Joey Dorsey. There's been a lot of talk about Morey making a mistake drafting Dorsey instead of DeAndre Jordan.... perhaps the real mistake was drafting Dorsey instead of Dragic?

#9 Carl Herrera, Apr 7, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  10. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I completely forgot about this video..i remember seeing it back then... The fact that Dragic risked an NBA career to play where he wanted gives me hope that he'll maybe stay here for a little less money than he could get, assuming he wants to be here....

I can't imagine what Morey is thinking or planning. I want to believe he won't let Dragic get away, but the way he reasons it wouldn't surprise me if he let him walk without much of a fight :(

11. HombreDeHierro

he deserves a kevin martin-esque contract

12. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

13. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

I dont see Rox keeping him. We are going to try to land a big name but by the time we get rejected Dragic and Lee will be already gone. Just like what happened with Gasol and Chuck.

14. opticon

opticon Member

Goran is unrestricted so their is no telling what he will do. Lee however is restricted and Morey has all ready put the message out that they will match what ever he gets.

I think the Rockets will match even if is just to move him in trade after his no trade period is over ala Nene.

One Thing I do know start of training camp Either Goran , Courtney or Kevin will be gone.

If I had my it would be Kevin

15. anchel

anchel Member

hoho. Great find!

16. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

I liked the Robin Lopez part. :)

"With the 14th pick the Golden State Warriors select Anthony Randolph."

"Yeahhhh! Woooooooo! Yeah, baby!"

Robin Lopez! They scared now!

17. joesr

joesr Member

Anyone know the deal with the Suns claiming we were the ones supposed to give the first round?