1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Draft Trade Idea

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by smoothie, Jun 12, 2008.

Tags:
  1. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

if the wolves pick mayo, there was report a while ago that said they would then look to trade mccants and/or their 2 second rounders for a late first round pick.

got me thinking,

luther, #25, ---> mccants, #34

mccants gives the rockets everything they're looking for. scoring (14ppg in 26min), shooting (40% 3pt), athleticism. moving the first rounder means that there are no guaranteed contracts being handed out this summer.

the wolves would only be interested if a player they were really interested in drops to #25, like a hibbert or a batum type player, which is very possible. luther would look great next to taller combo guards like foye, mayo, and jaric who can cover up all of his weaknesses.

2. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I like the idea, but I just don't see the T-Wolves giving up a player like McCants if all they're getting in return is the right to move up a few spots in the draft plus Luther Head. Kevin McHale has probably watched the same Rockets playoff game footage that we fans have. He knows that Luther is not nearly the caliber of player that McCants is.

That being said, if Morey can get that deal from Minnesota, you take it. That is, unless the Rockets have a chance to move up and get someone at least as good as McCants is now.

3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Would Luther get it done? Would we part with Chuck Hayes instead?

One thing seems certain: Morey is looking at all options, and trading into the 2nd round is likely, since he and McHale are peeking in on each other's workouts. And we brought in that Israeli dude whose name escapes me.

4. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

it all depends on what the wolves think our pick is worth.

if they go with mayo, mccants becomes expendable and they still need a big guy.

if hibbert, or hardin, or even mcgee is available they might value that player as much as mccants.

it's not an easy sell, but they want a center who can play 15-18 mpg and if someone is there at 25 that can do that for them, then why not? mccants got 26mpg this season, with mayo that will surely drop. trading an 18mpg guy for another, but younger and bigger, is a good trade for them.

of course it all has to work out correctly.

5. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

draft day deals are always the most difficult since you never know who is going to be available and if anyone else is dealing and for what.

for every potential draft day deal in place you better have 3-4 backups to that if nothing works out.

for example if the rockets do make the trade above what if someone the rockets really did expect to be at 25 is there? (lets say for hyperbole's sake...derrick rose) then this trade falls through. or if someone the wolves want will end up staying around at the #34 pick then the wolves have no incentive to make this trade.

imo 90% of the deals you hear about before the actual day of the draft never materialize its usually the ones that happen as the draft is going on as teams find out what players are still available and what teams are ready to deal what for who etc. Probably the only night in the year where the majority of teams have a lot of their cards being shown as to what they (GMS/coaches) want to do with the future of the team.

6. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

McCants is C-RAZ-Y. I don't care how many tattoos you have, but do you have to have some sorta flash application up to show us a zoom-in of each every one on your body just by clicking on it. And the poems...

http://www.rashadmccants1.com/rashadmccants

7. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

that's why draft trades usually happen after the picks are made. if there is a guy we want more than mccants and he's there, then take him. if the guy we want isn't there, or there is no one we want in the late first round more than mccants, call up the wolves and let them know we're down to deal.

true, but if they don't want to risk losing the guy they want to a late first round team, then make the deal with the rockets to move ahead of teams who want the same player and you take your guy.

for hyperbole's sake, lets say they want hibbert. they need a big guy, they take mayo, now mccants is available. hibbert will most likely not fall to the second round. he's basically a mid first rounder who might slip to the late first round. no way he goes to #31 with the spurs and pistons waiting for this guy to fall to them... make a deal with the rockets while you can get this guy in exchange for mccants.

however, i see your point. every trade hinges on the exact player falling to the exact spot needed.

8. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I'm not sure that McCants DOES fill the holes that we have.

The guy is more a combo guard, but undersized for the SG spot (1 inch taller than Head).
    He's fairly turnover prone - and I'm not sure how much better he actually makes us!

Having said that, if all it took was Head and a late first round pick then it's really worth considering.

I'd rather be looking for a deal where we send 2-3 players and bring back 1, and manage to save a little bit of cash in the process (ie, take back 10% less than we send).

9. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

well you would have to find a GM who wants to make a 1 for 3 deal and take back 10% more money. not likely.

as for mccants' hight as an issue, it's really not. he's as tall as cat mobley who had a fine career thus far as a 2. mccants also has a long reach which gives him an extra 2 inches i believe. i haven't checked his draft camp measurements in a while though.

i understand that this suggestion isn't as sexy as bringing in redd or billups, but it's a realistic option.

10. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I never said we should bring in Redd or Billups...

But we do have a bunch of expiring contracts, those can sometimes be traded for a longer contract which a team no longer wants (especially if you give them a draft pick as well).

McCants wouldn't be bad as a 'worst case' scenario - but if CDR is on the board at 25...