1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

draft picks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rezdawg, Feb 16, 2000.

Tags:
  1. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

i was wondering if anyone knows what picks we will have next year. I was under the impression that detroit is giving us a first round pick. I also thought that vancouver was giving us a pick. Can someone clarify?

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

We have to give vancouver a pick in the next 3 yrs. It is very doubtful it will be this year's pick.

the rockets have one of detroit's picks at their discretion over the next 3-4 yrs, but they may lose hill. I would say that there is a 75% chance the rockets get this pick.

the rockets have one of orlando's picks at their discretion over the next 3-4 yrs. their is a small chance of getting this pick.

Prediction
    the 10th and 17th

3. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

The Rockets also have Vancouver's second rounder (I think) from when they traded Sam Mack to the Griz a few years back. This pick is actually one of the best non-lottery picks one could have. It will likely be the first or second pick of the second round. This means the Rockets can get a late-1st round quality player while not having to guarantee a contract.

I also agree with Joe Joe that Detroit would be wise to give the Rockets their pick THIS year because of the unknown future of Grant Hill. My predictions for the Rockets picks:

8-10th (Rockets' pick)
    14-17th (Detroit's pick)
    30-31st (Vancouver's pick)

That is three first round quality picks. That 30-31 pick has trade value if the Rockets want to parlay that with another pick to move up in the draft.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The 30-31st pick is probably morer coveted than the 27th or 28th! If you had some project you had a gut feeling on, here is a good chance to pick him without being stuck if he fails.

Gee Gervin
    Gabe Mouneke
    high schoolers
    injury problems
    Jamal Magloire
    Najera if all the above aren't available

5. PhiSlammaJamma

I still like Arceneaux late in the first round or early second round. He's a a steal at SF and I don't think highly rated.

6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Could we given Vancouver Detroit's first pick (assuming that we get it)? Or does it have to be the ROck's original pick?

We could do worse than giving Vancouver a 17th pick.

Also we blended in two rookies into the starting rotation. If we get two more rookies in the next draft, we might have troubles finding rosters spots for them.

7. UT Baller

UT Baller Member

Say Detroit's pick ends up being 14 and we get it and we have the 5,6, or 7 pick would anyone be dissapointed with us drafting

our pick - Dermarr Johnson
    Det - Joel Pryzbilla

8. TraJ

TraJ Member

Would any team be willing to give us a higher pick for Detroit's pick and our own?

9. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Joe Joe: I am being totally unbiased here when I say that Najera will be a first round pick ahead of those guys you listed. Every publication I've seen has him in the first round.

10. UT Baller

UT Baller Member

But Najera is nothing more than a Zan Tabak in the making

11. SlamN

SlamN Member

Najera sucks...of course, I think everyone from OU sucks. Honestly, I don't think he'll enjoy the same success because he is a bit undersized at that position. He's like Wally in Minnesota, minus the scoring ability but he's a better banger. I say he goes in the second round. I sure hope the Rockets don't pick him up.

12. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Admins:

I have a feeling another War between Sooner fans and Longhorn fans is about to start. [​IMG]

Ps. NAJERA SUCKS!

13. SlamN

SlamN Member

The Rockets organization will only consider players with a credible college degree, so rule out DeMarr Johnson, high schoolers, etc. Kidding. Trading the picks may be an option since the only players available will be guards or SF.

14. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Uhhhh, the post wasn't about his ability. It was about where he is projected and that would be the first round no matter how much you may hate it. And I said it was totally unbiased too.

15. SlamN

SlamN Member

A player's ability on the court has a big part in the determination of where he falls in the draft. I think Najera is a good player but not worth a 1st rounder. I think he will be the first pick off of Joe Joe's list though...except maybe Magliore, who has the size but has not shown the skills (he has "potential").

I hope the Rockets don't pick him because we already have undersized PFs in KT or Carlos Rogers (tall but a bit thin). I don't think he's quite quick enough to play the SF position either.

16. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Najera is CBA material at the best UNC players seem to do well in the NBA

17. DaneB

DaneB Member

I think we should draft a SF & a PF. To slide up a few picks, I think we should trade the pick we get along with Tony Massenburg if he's healthy to get Kenyon Martin. Don't know if it is possible though. Then with the next pick select the best small forward available. With our second round pick we should pick up a guard especially if El Amin or Erick Barkley are available. Because then maybe we could trade Drew away to another team along for a future first round pick.

18. RocketSiv

RocketSiv Member

SlamN Francis came out of school after his Junior year and we ended up with him so we may still go for a young guy.
    As far as your list Magloire is a first rounder easily, probably thehighest pick there. Why? Well beacuse he is an awesome defensive talent, he is the all time leading shot blocker at UK and plays just 1/2-2/3 of the game. Also He has shown the ability to rebound getting nearly a double-double in every game in SEC play. Also he is a hardworker working extra hours everyday, even during the offseason. He has developed some offensive game, he is very raw ther but he has good potential. Also he has shown an ability to be a team leader.
    One other thing let the record show that even though Najera is a dandy little player and is a tuff one at that I think he will be a late first rounder to early second rounder and this is coming from a guy who has no affiliation to OU, UT, or any other Texas or Oklahoma school, well except UH. His size will hurt him alot in his draft position if you ask me.

19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Soonrockstro,

A joke...mostly

I do like Magloire, some high schoolers and couple of injury-prone players ahead of Najera.