1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Doug Collins fired by Wizards......

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce Rings, May 30, 2003.

1. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

With Collins out, Wiz likely to contact Brown

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ESPN.com news services

First, Michael Jordan. Now, Doug Collins.

The Washington Wizards fired the head coach Friday, reaching an agreement on the remaining two years of his contract.

Earlier this month, the Wizards did not rehire Michael Jordan as president of basketball operations.

Friday's move opens the door for Washington to speak with Larry Brown, who resigned as head coach of the Philadelphia 76ers on Monday.

The Wizards reportedly want former Philadelphia 76ers coach Larry Brown to become their president of basketball operations and head coach.

Sources tell The Washington Post that Brown hadn't entertained the overtures because Doug Collins remained under contract as the team's coach.

Brown didn't rule out future talks with the Wizards, but indicated that he wouldn't meet with them while his friend Collins was still employed by the team.

Team president Susan O'Malley told The Post the team's ownership isn't discussing the interviewing process or the candidates.

Sources also told the newspaper that Brown tried to contact Collins and Jordan.

Brown has coached six NBA teams and has won nearly everywhere he's been, earning a spot in the Hall of Fame.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can interview with them, Larry, just to be nice. But they ain't got Yao and Steve.

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Other than "control" why would Brown go to Washington? They are light years away from being a contender and have salary cap issues. Sure Brown would have more control there than with the Rockets but he would have very little to work with. Why would he give up the chance to coach Francis and most importanly Yao Ming???

Brown and the Rockets seem like a natural fit!

4. Deuce Rings

"Brown has coached six NBA teams and has won nearly everywhere he's been, earning a spot in the Hall of Fame." -- from ESPN article in post above.

Yeah we sure don't need to hire a loser like that.

5. Deuce Rings

Because if you look at Larry Brown's history, he looks for a challenging job. I think the Wizards provide the biggest challenge for Brown of all of Brown's current suitors (Houston, Washington, Clippers, Cleveland). Let's hope his age plays a factor in his decision.

6. SLA

SLA Member

lol...the Deuces discuss.

ANYWAYS.

MAn.

Another job vacancy.

What the heck?

This is like COACHMANIA....biggest coaching job whatever you wanna call it.

Too bad for him.

Now he can return to TV.

7. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

That was weird, I thought Deuce was arguing with himself! LOL! Everyone in media has said this, we have said this, if Larry Brown wants to win a championship the Rockets opening is the best opening to do that. I heard someone on the radio today, I can't remember if it was David Aldridge, I think it was, who felt the Rockets could make a serious run at a championship NEXT year with the proper coaching. I just get the feeling that Larry Brown is going to take the Washington job. I can understand Brown and his love of teaching, but at some point you have to have the competitive drive to win a championship. That's why I'm hesistant of getting Larry Brown, I could see Brown coaching 2 or 3 years, having the Rockets on the cusp of winning a title, and then leaving because he's "burned out" or "looking for a challenge". I want a coach who wants to win championships, not just teach.

8. zzhiggins

zzhiggins Member

Another fly in the ointment. I was hoping the Rockets would move fast and lock up Brown..I agree hes an upgrade as a head coach for the Rockets and is probably all we need to contend.
    But while there are many other candidates for the job..few if any would be an upgrade over RudyT.

9. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I work in DC, if Brown wants a challenge he should take on HOU or CLEV...WASH is a disaster!

I can't see any really decent coach wanting the Wiz job. I'll bet Brown won't coach here, he might talk to Abe, but he'd be crazy to take this job.

Of course maybe his wife likes politics and power...