1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dotel for Vizquel?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by gr8-1, Dec 12, 2001.

1. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Strictly a rumor I read on astrosconnection, but it makes sense. We need a SS, and Dotel can't be much happier being a set up man. If it's Dotel or Wags, I guess you have to go with Wags.

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Already been discussed...this would be a horrible trade, you don't give up the best setup man in the game, period.

3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I wouldn't go as far as RM95. Quality defense is underated. I don't know if I make the trade since my knowledge of Everett is unknown, but he could be a younger version of V for all I know.

V's bat is in decline. If he can't hit better Everett, go with the rook.

4. Major

Major Member

I would have no problem trading Wagner for Vizquel + someone. Wagner is likely to get $8M or so this year, which is a waste for a closer when you can have Dotel for pennies. For a team that is budget strapped, you don't trade away your one bullpen guy who is both cheap & reliable, and definitely not for a Shortstop.

5. milo

milo Member

Billy Wagner might outprice himself with John Smoltz and Issringwhatever getting huge contracts this offseason.You could get a wealth of talent back for him if you trade. Everybody wants a left handed closer. But I would hate to have to make that decision because everyone in Houston loves him...

6. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

Do not trade Dotel.

Period.

That would be a very idiotic decision from Hunsucker.

7. PhiSlammaJamma

I'd go with Everett at Shortstop as well.

If I had to pick between Dotel and Wagner, I send Dotel packing. I'm not on the inside, but I don't see how Dotel will be happy as a middle man. He probably is a lot cheaper, but Wagner is the closer and I think that's more important as a mental edge. Visquel still has speed right? I believe the Stros were demanding speed be added to the lineup. I can see this happening. Can we afford it though????

8. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

no way we trade dotel for visquel

omar isnt worth octavio or billy, no chance, hes good but send them a couple good very young pitchers like miller-greg or nannini AND WERE TALKING

9. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

This is a moronic trade idea.

Frankly, I think I'd rather have Dotel closing than Wagner, but that's neitehr here, nor there, because they make an aboslutely lethal leftie-rightie combination out of the pen.

Omar Vizquel is a fantastic defensive shortstop, but not near worth Octavio Dotel.

10. haven

haven Member

Let's see, a mediocre SS for a fantastic set-up man/closer?

No thanks.

11. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

haven - i totally agree except i'll add one adjective to your "fantastic" for dotel...YOUNG!!! ok..two adjectives....CHEAP!!

does anyone else notice how other teams have been trying to rid themselves of super defensive SS's who can't hit their weight?? rey ordonez comes to mind...he's amazing to watch in the field, but he's an automatic out. I'm afraid Everett might be that, too. I think Vizquel is heading that direction as well...so might as well play the kid!

12. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

ill pile on another dotel adjective NASTY

Also what are the reds smoking Danny Graves for Roy O, LMAO, Im glad we responded wanting dunn and laughed at bowden

13. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

Would ya'll trade Wags and Hildalo for Jose Cruz Jr.??

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Not both, but definitely one or the other.

15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Trading Hidalgo would defeat the purpose of acquiring a centerfielder (providing they would play Cruz in CF). The Astros long to move Hidalgo to right field to take better advantage of his arm.

16. haven

haven Member

I know. The idea that the Astros want a defensive CF has me quaking in my Nikes. Sorry, the upgrade of a Torrii Hunter over our guys is that the defensive advantage just isn't worth the bat.

Defense is something you want in a guy, but it's usually a bad idea to get a starter who can only excel at it.

17. gr8-1

The actual rumor was Dotel AND Lane for Vizquel. I love Omar defensively, and I can see him hitting well in Enron if he returns to his 2000 form.

I don't know, Dotel is special, but we don't need two closers. Dotel will want to be a closer eventually. I think he or Wags will have to go.

BTW, who gave Izzy all that money? He's not half the reliever Billy is, imo.

18. gr8-1

Neither for me. I think Hidalgo is better than Cruz jr.

19. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If the Astros traded Dotel AND Lane for Visquel, Hunsicker should be tarred and feathered, drawn and quartered, and then taken out in the back and shot.

And maybe then he could have his head examined.