1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Doris Burke

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Zboy, Nov 23, 2019.

1. bj3175

bj3175 Member

He is the most dominant scorer in this generation. They put 3 guys on him[2 of them all nba defenders] 35 ft from the basket. Dream Kobe M.J. and Wilt are the only guys that drew that level of attention. WHAT ABOUT THEM SAYING HE IS ONE OF THE MOST DOMINANT FORCES IN THE WORLD

s3ts and BaselineFade like this.
  2. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Literally the only thing there I can find that can be objected to is the word "manipulate". You can put negative connotations on that. Otherwise it's overwhelmingly positive. And it doesn't feel backhanded at all.

3. psaman17

psaman17 Member

Not all the time no. There are times when Harden has nowhere to go and no space for a shot so he puts his shooting hand under the defender and hooks his defender for a FT. Refs are trained to call fouls when they see players tangled up. BUT Those are going to be offensive fouls under scrutiny.

You know how Harden does the left hand push off alot last year? Its a point of emphasis for the refs this year. He got called for alot of those in the beginning of the season. Guess what? Eventually those hooks will all be offensive fouls.

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Every situation is a case by case basis. And it is not unique to Harden.

5. psaman17

psaman17 Member

That hook has become Harden's signature foul drawing move though. Harden sees an arm, grabs it, ties it up and goes up for a shot. 2 FTs.
    We see those multiple times each game. The NBA isn't stupid. THey're gonna catch on eventually.

This was from the other night against the Clippers.

Harden starts his drive

Senses Kwahi's arm but no real contact yet

Puts his shooting hand under Kwahi while dribbling with his right

Grabs Kwahi's arm

Gets tangled up. Foul

As a Basketball fan, its garbage. Its not basketball. As a Rocket fan, i dont min it as much because im biased and it helps my team win. But as a Rocket fan hoping for a championship, i know this tactic wont work in the playoffs so lay off it.

#145 psaman17, Nov 24, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
    dmoneybangbang and Houstunna like this.
  6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I mean, I guess, but "manipulate" has the following definitions:

1. to manage or influence skillfully, especially in an unfair manner:to manipulate people's feelings.
    2. to handle, manage, or use, especially with skill, in some process of treatment or performance:to manipulate a large tractor.
    3. to adapt or change (accounts, figures, etc.) to suit one's purpose or advantage.

So, was she trying to suggest that what he's doing is "unfair" with that word choice, or that he was skillfully utilizing the 3-point line or the rules of the game to his advantage? In context, I heard it as the latter.

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

this is bad analysis. Hardens hand is down and kawhi puts his hand on hardens hip. That alone is a foul under the current “freedom of movement” rules.
    Harden doesn’t put his arm under kawhis. Kawhi puts his hand there while hardens is down. The only way for him to bring it up naturally is through kawhi.

To make that not a foul would mean defenders could put there arms out on a driving player and he would have no natural way to move his arm

D-rock, NotInMyHouse, DCkid and 3 others like this.
  8. lionaire

lionaire Member

Are people just now realizing how awful she is? DB has been at it for years now.

9. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Doris votes Harden for MVP

She loves him. But needs to appear objective.
    Her saying he is manipulating the game is her way of complimenting his high BB IQ.

Williamson likes this.
  10. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

You're nuts.

She is one of the best commentators out there.

If she says something bad about Houston, that doesn't make her a bad commentator. She gives a LOT of praise. It's far more difficult to listen to blind homers.

Houstunna and dmoneybangbang like this.
  11. lionaire

lionaire Member

I respect your opinion but I never implied that she's bad because of her comments regarding us. I've disliked her commentary for a while now regardless of what games she's doing. Even as a sideline reporter I thought she was annoying. Always seems to be taking the side of the refs and always complains when players argue with refs. She's overcritical of most of the stars (besides LeBron who she nutrides) and then she'll gas every single role player when they make a good play. Also she seems to point out the weirdest things. Like when a player boxes out successfully, she'll point it out and then talk about it for a whole minute. It's almost as if she's trying super hard for people to be aware of her basketball knowledge. Also don't like how she sounds monotone and nasally.

And then there's that whole side of nba twitter/reddit that are infatuated with her appearance which is clearly a meme and it's super cringe.

DrNuegebauer likes this.
  12. dmoneybangbang

Someone got dumped recently...

13. dmoneybangbang

It’s simple... Rockets fan don’t mind Harden’s shenanigans...

Have some self awareness folks...

14. dmoneybangbang

Right, but Harden does hook his opponents a lot and gets the call.

The game is the game.

15. psaman17

psaman17 Member

lol

You try to make pull that move on the play ground and see what happens.

If you take off your Rockets colored glasses, its obvious that Harden is looking for arms to hook. Its effective now but its annoying for defenders and the opposing team. National commentators are taking notice, eventually its gonna be taken away.

Heres a similar play in video form. Sees arm, hooks arm, fouls. Its easy to see on replays. You think thats gonna work in a 7 game series when the bright lights are on and refs are on high alert?

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Are we talking playground rules or are we talking NBA here? I don't really care what you and the other kids do on the playground.

D-rock and Zboy like this.
  17. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Wait, are people seriously arguing that Harden is not intentionally doing the arm hook thing to accentuate contact for the foul? Of course he is. Whether it's a legit basketball play, I suppose, is debatable, but it is certainly a move he has developed to get himself to the foul line.

Williamson likes this.
  18. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Apologies! I had a reading fail

19. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Same. I'm just saying that's really the only portion of what she said that can even be interpreted to possibly be negative. And yet, because these dudes like to hate on women, they jumped on it. To me, it was obviously the second or third choice. Neither of which is negative.

p.s. for those who want to argue that it wasn't just to hate on women please note that the other alternative is that your understanding of the english language is too limited to grasp that words frequently have other meanings. Pick your poison.

20. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

Fact isn’t because calling a woman a b**** is simply offending but showing some class even during disagreements. Would you call your mom a b**** just because you disagree with her?

D-rock likes this.