1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Doris Burke

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Zboy, Nov 23, 2019.

1. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

[​IMG]

2. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Lmao in fact millennial women call themselves b****es these days.

da_juice likes this.
  3. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Wow a term I haven’t heard for years. Lol

DreamShook likes this.
  4. rockets13champs

How the **** u go thru all that paper work and hell in a divorce just to marry that person again 1 year later to then divorce them again. Doris and her husband gotta be dumb af to waste that much money

AroundTheWorld, Tfor3 and da_juice like this.
  5. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

The debate is stupid. Biblically speaking every man sins. If that’s the case the NBA is akin to this concept. Every player seeks an advantage whether it’s flopping like pat Beverly, pushing off, or arm bars. Doris Burke has head hunted harden for couple years at least. The issue is she singled him out on national tv going so far to say “the league should look at how they officiate harden” this is a problem when you single out a player. Why not look specifically at Leonard’s push offs or Lebrons travels. You can’t single out and target a player. What’s called on the court is called. Singling out a player means bias means unfair means separate and unequal. That’s the ingorance of her view on harden.

BaselineFade likes this.
  6. bj3175

bj3175 Member

If you notice that same line of thinking is that Goris spewed Tmac did the exact same thing on the jump. The only thing that will resolve this is the Rockets winning the championship. They cannot come up short, I truly believe in my heart that if the team executes their plan they will win despite any challenges

BaselineFade likes this.
  7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

So why are they singling him out, if not for the way he plays? Because they don't like his beard? Because they don't like that he isn't married? Because they hate Houston?

8. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

At the end of the day, Doris is extremely unprofessional. How you express that doesn’t determine the validity of the statement. You can argue that 1) she’s intentionally misleading audiences with leading word choices, or 2) she’s actually stupid enough to not realize her own bias when analyzing basketball.

She’s setting back women everywhere who are completely capable of calling a game in an unbiased fashion. In fact, it would be easy to argue that she has set back women in all sports because of the way she conducts herself.

You are actively participating in the spectacle by defending her. The only thing you’re really doing is saving your own pride under the false pretense that you’re doing the right thing.

9. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

You can say this women is a trash broadcaster. I said calling her a b**** makes you look like a b****.

Express yourself like a chump all you want, but that takes away from the statement you are trying to make. Pretty inefficient.

Williamson likes this.
  10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Here is the problem. Is there a hook? Yes. But the FOUL happens BEFORE the hook. It is *the reach.* People are so caught up in the hook that they can't see the FOUL that happens. The hook is all about making sure the ref SEES the original foul occuring.

The hook is like someone screaming "And 1" after a shot.

My problem with Burke is she puts too much emphasis on the hook to suggest the hook is tricking a ref on a foul. There is no trick. The foul happens and the hook just emphasizes it.

The hook is "And 1"
    The hook is EG *grunting after a shot*

Reeko likes this.
  11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I still don't understand how Doris Burke lost the game for us. :rolleyes:

Williamson likes this.
  12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

So, I found an ESPN recording to watch online, but was only able to get through the first half before it went down. Anyway, I took note of her comments specifically about James Harden from the first half. I realize a lot of the stuff people were angry about came in the fourth quarter. If I find it online, I'll add those as well.

[Pregame] "I thought he was at the peak of his powers a season ago, incredibly he's raised his level. This man is perhaps the best 1-on-1 player in the history of the sport and he has mastered the current rules, Mike. His ability to manipulate not only the three point line, but look at the free throw attempts. Doc Rivers has been around a lot longer than me, and he said he IS the best one on one player in the history of the game."

[1st 9:31] "Let's just watch James Harden do what he does. He's never in a hurry. He's going to manipulate what he wants ... how about if you [defender] are in a pick and roll and you are not solid at the point of the ball look out for that guy."

[1st 5:18] "So here comes the trap, you (the defense) have completely ignored Capela. Once you do that, you are completely at his mercy." ... "He's brought Wilt's career almost to new life, because he's touched such historic numbers."

[1st 4:55 ... after a Harden assist to the corner shooter] "And you can see now, he's going to get an assist, he had two defenders almost at the half court line. So the kind of space and looks his teammates get, Mike, my goodness!"

[contrasting defense from 1st matchup to this game] "There's a different level of attention tonight. You can see Houston wanted to set up a stagger, two defenders go to him, these are the kind of looks he creates for his teammates. Doc Rivers told us before the game: "I'm a believer we have to get the ball out of his hands."

[2nd 8:20 after a good defensive stop against Harrel in the post] "So that's twice now Harden has been caught on the post. The other thing Mike has been telling us is he has been pretty good defensively. And because of their swtiching schemes, he gets caught on the post a lot. Now he's giving up not only some inches in terms of Trez's size, but Trez has a big time strong body, and look at him battle, get him off the post, and then force him to give up the ball. You can't ask for better than that."

[2nd 1:47 after a Westbrook assist to Capela] "right, but twice now, consecutive possessions, after the double of Harden. Russ makes himself an option and throws the lob, and then that time get himself in a 1-on-1 situation, but all created by the attention being given to James."

[Halftime] "They've made 3 fewer threes and 5 fewer field goals, but they're plus 11 from the free throw line, and James has been there 8 times already. He's just the master at understanding how to get himself there, when you're going to reach, when he can put his body into yours. And we've talked to MDA before the game, and he couldn't be more pleased with James's defense this year. Got caught on the post a couple times, and able to get himself out."

[3rd 11:53] "To Doc's point ... if James Harden gets 35 attempts combined free throw and field goal attempts, they're 11-1. Doesn't matter what the percentage is."

Juxtaposed Jolt and Williamson like this.
  13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't think JVG complains about a select few people. Again, it's not the complaining. It's the singling out one player that's unprofessional.

It's like if a journalist points out the flaws of a presidential candidate, that's fine, as long as she does the same with all (or at least most) of the other candidates. If she keeps singling out one candidate for her negative comments, then you know she's not trying to hide her bias and that's unprofessional.

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

When an analyst uses the word *manipulate,* for the viewer it conjures up thoughts about *tricking and fooling.* I'd rather see them use words like *utilize* which is more straight forward.

I am not a fan of analysts marginalizing Harden's hard work, IQ, skill on his footwork and moves by attributing *manipulation* to it. It is not trickery. It is skill.

BigggReddd, Reeko, bj3175 and 3 others like this.
  15. J.R.

J.R. Member

Lot of backhanded compliments...

[​IMG]

"mastered the current rules"
    "manipulate the three point line"
    "free throw attempts"
    "He's going to manipulate what he wants"
    "they're plus 11 from the free throw line, and James has been there 8 times already"

Just stop!
    He's averaging 38!
    If Giannis, Steph, LeBron, or new golden boy Doncic averaged 38, no one would be saying ****!
    Nothing about "manipulating" rules or the game or the number of free throw attempts. And if you say they would, you're full of **** and a b**** like Boris Durke.
    "Wow, how great are they? This is incredible!"
    "We need to stop and appreciate [Steph, LeBron, Giannis, Doncic] averaging 38! This hasn't been done since Wilt in '60-'61!"

Giannis averages 11 FTs and no one says ****. Is he cheating the game? Bully ball = "beautiful basketball, playing the right way".

If it's so easy, just go do it! Stop complaining and just go do it! Anyone can do it, right?! It's not anything special.

s3ts, BigggReddd, Zboy and 3 others like this.
  16. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I shouldn't have to point this out; but it's not just that it is mean. Really, mean isn't the problem. The problem is that it is misogynistic. We aren't commenting on the fact JVG looks like Gomez from the Adams family. We are, instead, only gauging women's value on the basis of how attractive they are. It isn't right. And this a public forum in which many women participate. Can we please make it a welcoming environment for them too?

Houstunna likes this.
  17. BigBum

BigBum Member

Why do you want to understand everything?
    Burke has a lot of knowledge compared to other female reporters.

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I was just looking at the quotes from @durvasa (thanks, durvasa) and what stood out to me, mixed into the praise from Doris, was exactly what you pointed out. The use of the word “manipulate.” I can’t recall a star’s play being described that way, and again, as you pointed out, the use of that word does conjure the idea of trickery, at least in my mind, and that came to me a little while ago, after I read @durvasa’s post, and before I read your own. Words matter. How they are used matter. No, @Os Trigonum, Doris didn’t cost us the game. That’s another topic. Her coverage, however, can color how James is perceived by the casual fan, in my opinion.

Hey, we’re all killing time before we go up against a hot Dallas team. The orbit of the Earth isn’t going to be impacted by how Doris describes Harden’s play, and it won’t affect the flight of the ball when he hoists one up, but they can impact, in a small, but cumulative way, how James is viewed as an NBA star. In my opinion, it’s another pebble joining the others rolling down that hill aimed at Harden’s reputation.

Houstunna and clutchdabear like this.
  19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Precisely!

20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Imagine if someone described Doris' rise in the broadcast industry by manipulating the rules. (Instead of utilizing her skills).

Sounds bad, doesn't it?

Zboy, CircaSurvive and J.R. like this.