1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Donuts Recipe

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BreakYoSelfFool, Jul 6, 2012.

1. BreakYoSelfFool

I was wondering how everyone else envisions the game/potential of Donatas Motiejūnas:

I think the upper end of his potential may be a mix of 1 part Kevin Love and 2 parts Dirk with a pinch of Robert Horry and a dash of Tim Duncan, but I think he will be a little like Pau Gasol with a dash of Matt Bullard.

My personal dream for him would be a KG/Dirk/Blake Griffin hybrid

My apologies for not making another thread about whether or not Morey/McHale/Les should be fired.

2. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

I think you're setting your expectations too high. I'd be happy with a poor mans Pau Gasol.

3. thejav

thejav Member

A young gasol is more likely.. with better passing ability...

4. conquistador#11

I'm thinking a 19 ppg with 8rbds is his ceiling. Someone has to score.

5. albuster

albuster Member

I would expect much from him until he actually plays an NBA game. How many Euro stars turned out to be busts as opposed to exceptional when they played in the NBA?

6. albuster

albuster Member

not expect much- Fixed.

7. rkh-dog

rkh-dog Member

...a younger, quicker, cockier Pau Gasol. And he looks less like a wookie.

8. anchel

anchel Member

wow, he's going to dissapoint
    Relax guys

9. jae713

jae713 Member

I think his biggest problem will be getting used to the speed and how physical the NBA game is. Haven't seen too many videos of him, but in the ones I did see he seemed to avoid body contact. Despite that, he is very mobile, has good hands and dribbling skills, and can shoot. I think he can be a rotation player. If he can averaged 10pts, 5rbs I will be ecstatic.

10. 123Rockets

123Rockets Member

Poor man's Dirk with Gasol's passing, mobility, size, body type

11. BreakYoSelfFool

I would also be happy with that. Im not a big Gasol fan, so I dont rate him that high. Honestly I think Donuts style of play is closest to Dirk than anyone, but I dont hink he has as the elite 3pt shot and driving ability.

Im most curious to see how Donatas defends the post, also it seems like he has made tremendous growth, I wonder hwo much better he can get under Mchale's tutalage. Maybe KG with a decent 3 pt shot...

Also, I was shocked to learn that his name is pronounced closer to Donte than Donuts :confused: oh well Donuts sounds much better

12. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

#12 Plowman, Jul 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  13. redsmitty03

redsmitty03 Member

I think that's about accurate. Which we all should be excited about for a 20th pick!!

14. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ahh, from what I've seen and heard, Mounty should eclipse those numbers and then some ........My guess is he will get to the line alot AND be a force on the boatds. His refined offensive game and elite athleticism for a bigman should eventually lead him to many 20 and 10 seasons.

CD, Dream,Kevin.....They'll bring out the best in this kid.

*Unless he goes out for Dwight

#14 Plowman, Jul 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2012
  15. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

12 points 6 rebounds a game

16. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

He's got great athleticism for a big man and grew up on euro ball. I'd say upward comparisons of Dirk and Pau are fair but he's got much to do to bring those comparisons through. Definitely excited to see what he can do.

I don't think they should be asking serious starter minutes of him as a C though. Funny, when talking positions it's mostly about who you can guard and I see him more in the F category there. Offensively, he should just be a nightmare with his size, athleticism and skill.

17. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

Dude looks like he has potential, but I have to be honest and say that it kind of blows my mind the kind of expectations we have for him.

1st off I think he can be good, I honestly hope he turns into the next great PF/C, but I do believe his ceiling is somewhere around a more athletic Zydrunas Ilgauskas. Serviceable defensively, can knock down an open shot, but may have trouble creating on his own against Taller defensive players.

But after he dominates a few international 6'7 centers he starts getting compared to Dirk, KG, Tim Duncan, Pau Gasol, and Blake Griffin?!?! Are we serious or is there that much homerism here? This guy has not played an NBA game and we're going to compare him to some of the best to ever play in the NBA at their respective positions? C'mon are we that bias???......
    nvm I already know the answer

Let's give him a chance to show us what he can do before we give him a bar he can never live up to.

18. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Wow. And I'll be thrilled if he proves to be a quality NBA rotation player. Talk about a difference in expectations.

19. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

^^^this^^^

20. BreakYoSelfFool

If he only gets 20 mpg maybe. Also, I was more interested in his game and style of play than his projected stats. Ive only seen limited footage, but he looked pretty impressive