1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donte Greene, World's Highest Paid Lifeguard

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Serg300, May 27, 2009.

1. Serg300

Serg300 Member

Nice story. Great job Donte!

http://sportsradiointerviews.com/2009/05/27/donte-greene-saves-a-life/

Donte Greene plays forward for the Sacramento Kings. The NBA’s current playoff slogan is: “Where Amazing Happens” - but amazing happened far away from the basketball floor in this instance. Greene saved someone’s life in a Memorial Day boating accident when a woman who couldn’t swim found herself in the water. I’ll let him tell the story below but it’s astonishing what humans are capable of when they don’t think and are forced to go on intuition. This story isn’t about sports - it’s about a man who plays a sport who did something which reaches far beyond the sporting world - he just happened to use his athletic abilities to do accomplish it. The former member of the Syracuse Orange joined KHTK in Sacramento to breakdown the scenario, how there wasn’t a decision to be made, and how he had no idea why the radio station contacted him in the to do the interview.

What happened, Donte?
    “We went down the American River, out there having fun, we were linked up with a few boats and everything. Been out there, basically all afternoon, so we were wrapping everything up, everyone was grabbing their buoys and everything, untying and trying to leave. She had let one of her friends drive her boat so she was at the back of the boat trying to pull her ladder in, and I guess she didn’t know she was back there and hit the engine and she flew off the back of the boat. So, I didn’t know, I thought she could swim, she couldn’t swim, I think I’m a swimmer, I was a lifeguard coming up in high school. So, I guess I just reacted and just jumped in, someone threw her a life preserver and I pulled her in to a boat (someone else’s) - almost got run over by one…”

What was going through your head when you jumped in?
    “I didn’t even think about it, it was just instinct. You see somebody in a position and you know you can help them out. The water, I’m not even gonna lie, was freezing, freezing cold, but I was hot anyway so the water cooled me off, so that was good… It was just something that happened.”
    Showing his humility about the moment he was asked to come on KHTK:
    “I got the text earlier that you guys wanted to have me on and I didn’t even know what was going on, I thought a bad rumor had started. You know, these days everybody’s saying all sorts of things. No problem having me on, I’m just she’s okay and everything.”

2. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

always good to see people doing good things

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I agree with Donte, it's not a big deal.

4. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

wait this lady owns a boat but can't swim? wtf :confused:

5. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

thats exactly what i was thinking.

anyways, good job donte.

6. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

I'm with the "not a big deal" crowd.

A lady fell in the water 20 feet away from a boat, they threw her a buoy and Donte jumped in to make sure she was alright...how is this a story?

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

How does she not wear a life preserver? Seems very valuable to someone that can't swim.

8. fba34

fba34 Contributing Member

well he didnt rape her

9. Samar

Samar Contributing Member

Yeah it doesn't need to be a story until someone does nothing, right? :rolleyes:

Like the man in DC that was hit by a car and cars just drove around him and pedestrians just walked by and it took someone like 20 minutes to finally call 911. I am sure those are the types of stories we would much rather hear. :rolleyes:

10. ind0fo0

ind0fo0 Contributing Member

I thought it was Hartford, CT.

11. kikimama

kikimama Member

Yeah not a big deal. Give me a JR Smith killing his passenger by running stop signs any day...

12. Egghead

Egghead Member