1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Dont you guys love Octavio Dotel!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Francis3, Jun 27, 2000.

1. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Yeah some ppl might say why, he is 1-5. But who cares, he is young and can pitch pretty good. He is going to be something special. He strikes out ppl left and right. Tonight he had 13 strikeouts but he lost. He is fun to watch, and every year he spends time with Pedro martinez working on pitches. I like watching Dotel, he is going to become a really good player.

------------------
    President of the Moochie Norris FAN CLUB

2. Cougar Brass

Cougar Brass Member

If Dierker would only realize that his game takes a serious nose dive when he nears the 100 pitch mark and take him out at the appropriate time, Dotel's numbers would be alot better and the 'Stros might have a few more wins.

I swear, when Dierker had that annurism(sp?) it must have messed up his ablity to detect patterns. He didn't seem to notice that whenever he put (an injured) Wagner in the game in a key situation he blew it. He doesn't seem to not that when Dotel reaches 100 pitches he turns in to Jose Lima.

------------------

3. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Dotel has Chris Holt disease - no run support.

------------------
    "No one gets out ALIVE!"
    SaveOurRockets.com

4. RKMAN

RKMAN Member

He still needs development, I say send him to New Orleans class AAA, then call up Tim Sagemon. Man, this guy can slug. I can't wait until Wifredo Rodriguez is ready! He's a starting lefty with a 97mph fastball.

------------------
    RKMAN

President of the "Swoopes is the hottest woman in the WNBA" club.

5. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

You know you're in for trouble when your shortstop has a better ERA than most of your pitching staff.

------------------
    "I wanna eat his children."

6. Cougar Brass

Cougar Brass Member

DC Sports: Word is that Wagner reported the pain early in the season but the trainers and medical staff told him he was fine and that if he kept pitching it would go away. I don't know if this is true or not but if it is, those guys need to be fired.

The Cabbage: Nice Signature LOL

------------------

7. dc sports

dc sports Member

Well I hope he went to the same doctor as Elerton!

------------------
    Stay Cool...

8. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

No I dont love him.

------------------
    MANGO - Get in my BELLAY!

9. dc sports

dc sports Member

Actually, Wagner and the rest of the bullpen is why Dierker is leaving some of his starters in so long. The bullpen, more than any other part of this team, has done a great impression of a hoover vacuum cleaner.

I don't think Dierker wants his starter's stats to suffer by leaving them in too long, it's that he wants to try to win. The starters (well, most of them) are pitching better tired than the relievers are fresh.

Also, our relievers aren't lasting as long. More than once he's had to pull a reliever mid-inning, and that depletes your bullpen pretty fast. You end up having to play your shortstop as a pitcher.

He is trying to stretch the starters a little longer, so that the relievers will pitch less.

------------------
    Stay Cool...

10. dc sports

dc sports Member

Also, as bad as the bullpen was, Wagner should have been better. I place more of the blame on him for not realizing he was hurt, and getting his arm checked out sooner.

------------------
    Stay Cool...

11. Dream34

Dream34 Contributing Member

DC sports:

That was a classic about the Astro's bullpen. [​IMG] LMAO

The bullpen "has done a great impression of a hoover vacuum cleaner."

You are right on about Dirker leaving the starters in their longer. The man has no choice. I mean our bullpen is freaking joke. When we do get a rare lead the bullpen does everything in there power to blow it. Our middle relief has been a problem for years and nothing has been done about it. Hunskier should have done a better job of getting us some quality middle relief pitching.

Too bad they fired Vern Ruhle. The man is a top notch pitching coach. I do not blame the current situation on him. If anyones heads needed to role it was Drayton McClane and Hunsiker.

------------------
    Vice President of the Austin Croshere fan club.

12. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

Holt's ERA of 5.12, and Dotel's ERA of 5.38 are diseases in and of themselves