1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dont get your hopes up about Swift

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TeXaSalsa, May 4, 2000.

Tags:
  1. TeXaSalsa

TeXaSalsa Contributing Member

Sorry but i have a funny feeling HoopsTV is full of BS and that their "sources" are crap.

Swift said he was staying in school. Excuse me but i havent heard 2 words from his mouth about changing his mind.

im sorry i have a feeling that HoopsTV will be eating crow with us and swift wont even come out.

------------------
    --TEX

2. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

Tex,
    Swift will go to school-but his stupid A- - can barely read-just like Shaq-so he'll have to pass a standardized exam to go. He won't play JUCO ball I bet, so if he doesn't pass, he'll go to the NBA.

THAT is the basis for Hoops TV's position, in addition to his family full of greedy vultures trying to milk him dry before ever gets his hands on a dime (Momma needs a Beemer, etc.)

Truth is Swift is gifted below the neck and on the court. Count on him declaring.

------------------
    Wanna play in the clutchcity.net game? Got some ideas? E-mail me at philip_w_moore_jr@hotmail.com and I'll send a batch e-mail with details as they develop.

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Um... Swift has been at LSU for two years now. Maybe you are getting Swift confused with Darius Miles. Swift has been in school for two years, and obviously wouldn't have to take any test since he is already in school. He isn't stupid- you must be getting him confused with Miles, because what you said does describe Miles and his position.

------------------

[This message has been edited by The Cat (edited May 04, 2000).]

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I know what you meant, but there's something awfully funny (and probably realistic) when you take the comment above literally.

------------------
    ?

5. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

Cat,
    You're right. I was thinking about Miles, and I mixed up a Swift story, too. It's Swift's parents that are urging him to declare and are talking to agents. Miles is the doofus who's likely to declare because he won't pass the test.

Sorry for posting in r****d, but I've got 4 back to back law school finals this week, and I'm tired and braindead. I think I'll quit posting until after my last test!

Duh,
    P1st,s2nd

------------------
    Wanna play in the clutchcity.net game? Got some ideas? E-mail me at philip_w_moore_jr@hotmail.com and I'll send a batch e-mail with details as they develop.

6. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

What makes him a doofus for declaring to go NBA? Hell if I knew I was gonna get paid and not have to go to school what the hell, you can keep those school memories all 4 ya self brother. College doesn't do a damn thing for your game, I've said it time and time again. If they are supposedly a top 15 pick coming out of high-school then by all means declare because these guys may never get the chance again to make this kind of money. Plus the NBA has better teachers than college. You heard it here second.

------------------
    "We need to fockass".....Dream back in the day

7. TeXaSalsa

TeXaSalsa Contributing Member

Huh? lets get back to the original thread. i really doubt swift is coming out. hoopstv did it for publicity i bet.. i think he wills stay in school despite his greedy famiy's wishes. ( his mom and uncle want the $$$) i really have doubts taht hoopstv is correct.

o and scareface no offense but "college doesnt do anything for your game" comment is the biggest bunch of bullsh*t ive ever heard.

im sorry but College does many things.
    A) improves fundmanental base
    B) improves players as better athletes
    C) allows them to work on weaknesses in their game with coaches being able to help them
    D) allows them to be prepared not only for the NBA but life itself. high schoolers are still kids in high school. they have their innocence. in college you become a man.
    E) allows them to get the country to notice what their strong/weak points are

college doesnt do anything? BS it doesnt.
    look at the florida / michigan st. game.
    florida had way more talent. the difference was 18 19 year old kids were playing against 20 21 22 year old men.

yes its tempting to go to the NBA. but many players RUIN their career by making poor decisions. miles i dont think will but in all truth he could use another year of school. yes the $$$ is tempting. but in the long run you make more $$$ if u go to college get an education and improve your overall game.

------------------
    --TEX

8. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

Yes it's true that most players earn more in the long run if they stay in college for 4 years. However, some players don't have that luxury as they have to support their families.

------------------
    Now that the NBA season is over, check out the premiere source for draft info.

Draftsource.net

9. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

Bro Im sorry but your totaly wrong.

A) improves fundmanental base
    B) improves players as better athletes
    C) allows them to work on weaknesses in their game with coaches being able to help them
    D) allows them to be prepared not only for the NBA but life itself. high schoolers are still kids in high school. they have their innocence. in college you become a man.
    E) allows them to get the country to notice what their strong/weak points are

college doesnt do anything? BS it doesnt.
    look at the florida / michigan st. game.
    florida had way more talent. the difference was 18 19 year old kids were playing against 20 21 22 year old men.

aplies to A,B,C
    First of all most players learn the college game which is nothing like the pros. They become "COLLEGE" stars, not NBA stars. Where are the better coaches NBA or college? Thats what I thought, Bobby Knight? What noteworthy Nba player has Knight put out other than Zeek? Lets face it most of these Coaches are horrible teachers. Basicaly NBA has the better teachers in EVERYTHING money is of no object.
    D) I agree that collge helps them learn about 10% of what to expect from the rigors of life BUT you act as though college makes people mature just for attending. College for athletes is nothing more than a big party most of the time.
    E) Who cares about what the country thinks its the NBA we care about and if a player is guaranteed in the top 15 and he is a high-schooler there is no reason to wait. Chances are he goes to college and then he shows his glaring weakness he goes from being drafted in the top 15 to being drafted by the CBA. The high-school jump is not for everyone but if your simple thought brings drool to NBA scouts and coaches then there is NO REASON that these kids should go to college. Your telling me Kobe Bryant and KG are less intelligent than any other player in the NBA who went to college? No. Why? Because you become a man REAL quick in the NBA or you get out just as quick as your ride in(see Thomas Hamilton, Korleon Young, Leon Smith)

PS Michigan State had the better players by far. Florida wasn't even supposed to be there.

------------------
    "We need to fockass".....Dream back in the day

10. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Texasalsa, you may be right. Read this.
    http://cbs.sportsline.com/u/ce/multi/0,1329,2324243_55,00.html

It just goes on and on about how well Swift is doing at LSU, and how he has given no indication of how he wants to leave. And in response to the "Internet report" that Swift was leaving, it says one insider just laughed and said "Bogus." It doesn't look good.

------------------

11. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

There is no question Kobe, KG or McGrady are farther along in their basketball skills, and bank accounts, for skipping college entirely. Likewise guys like Shaq, Abdur-Rahim, and Brand were wise to enter early so as to not take the extra pounding and zone defenses designed to stop them without getting paid (officially, at least). Granted these are the super-athletes and most athletes would probably benefit for college--but one size does not fit all. Personally, if you are a guaranteed a top 5 pick, you are taking a much bigger risk by staying in school. Now if guys like Swift & Mihm can get insurance policies (if I remember Chris Jackson got one with the now defunct Lloyds of London), than this can mitigate some of their risk.

------------------