1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donatas Motiejūnas: "I want to play, rather than sit on the bench"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Houstonas, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Can't blame him. I remarked in badlee's thread about Wasted Donuts that I was hoping that he wasn't getting discouraged from this lack of playing time, but it looks like it is getting to him.

It's funny that PF is our weakest position and the one where we have two guys with good upside. Yet those two guys get zero playing time. So I have to ask this: how bad do PatPat and Morris have to play before TJones and D-Mo get a chance?

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I personally think this is just Donatas and his reps not fully understanding the situation the Rockets are in, and what their plans are going into the trading deadline.

The Rockets are going to play Donatas after the deadline, but first they have to make room on the roster for him. I fully expect one or both of Morris/2 Pat to be moved at the deadline, but what Donatas and his agent dont seem to understand is that they cannot bench them now or they will not be able to do so.

So its actually in Donatas & Jones' best interest for the Rockets to play Morris and 2Pat as much as possible right now going into the trade deadline, or they will constantly be battling them for rotation minutes for another season after this one.

I get where Donatas is coming from, and Im glad that he's going about this in a professional way instead of just sulking on the bench or causing lockeroom issues.

This is absolutely the right way to do this. You bring in your agent to discuss the long term situation with the team, and if you aren't playing... I think its FANTASTIC that he's actually asking to play in the D-Leauge. Most NBA players would rather be a bum at the end of an NBA bench, then play 40 minutes a game in the D-League. Donatas just doesn't seem to care, and just wants to play. Good for him.

3 people like this.
  3. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Player on bench wants to play, shocking!

I'm looking forward to seeing D-Mo someday, but I'm not upset he's not in the rotation. The Rockets are in the beginning stages of rebuilding the team, and they have more young players than they have minutes.

I think it's important to try to see the big picture. The Rockets aren't going to be contending for a title this year whether the rookies play or not. The Rockets have a multitude of players that they need to determine if they can play or not. This year, players like Patterson, Morris, and Smith are getting their chance to make it as NBA players by getting big minutes as rotation players. Morey and McHale have decided to give these guys more than just a few games to prove themselves and that's probably for the best. Moving multiple players in and out of the rotation all year probably is not fair to any of the players.

The Rockets need to find out if Patterson and Morris are worth keeping or not, and both players have paid their dues in the past. Now is their time to sink or swim. If PPat and Morris are demoted out of the rotation to make room for the rookies, then their trade value could take a hit. Do the Rockets really want to diminish the trade value of these guys right before the trade deadline by demoting them to the bench?

Finally, if D-Mo or TJones were playing head and shoulders above everyone else in practice then I think McHale would play them. McHale played Parsons as a rookie, and McHale is playing Beverley as a rookie, so I think he will play someone if he thinks they are really ready. There just isn't any reason to rush D-Mo or TJones into the lineup at this time. Fans are impatient and growing bored with the season, so they want to be entertained with some new players, but the Rockets are rebuilding the team in an orderly and fair way. Patterson and Morris won't be able to say they weren't given a true opportunity to prove themselves when they are finally pulled from the rotation or traded away.

4. DaGreatest

DaGreatest Member

None of these statements are accurate. We've all known for the last 2 years that DMo needs to pack muscle. Hes young, he hasnt developed his man body at all. Same was the issue with KG, Dirk, Durant, it takes time for wirey players like Rip to mature physically.

Look at Tayshaun also,

5. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I guess you can blame it on mis-management by the head coach.

I can understand that McHale is trying to win games in order to insure his job security into next season but we all know once we become a certified contender he will NOT be our head coach.

We ran thru the same routine last year with Marcus Morris... look at him now, he's totally fine with the amount of minutes he gets per game.

6. Arthurprescott2

Welcome back, Dei!

I completely agree.

7. Mr2Hos

Mr2Hos Member

That bs last year with Morris cost him a year of actual game development, something Parson had. Now the Rockets are on course again to cost Jones and D.Mo another year of developement.
    Why draft the kids if you never plan to give them a chance to earn minutes.
    I wouldn't be surprised if very soon, agents stop allowing their players to work out for the rockets- which morey can get around by attending other teams workouts but it will still be a "BURN"

And I have an issue with you saying McHale is trying to win games. Nothing about his rotation, substitution pattern or plays indicate that.
    If he was really trying to win games, he would have given T.Jones and D.Mo opportunities to see if they are better than our current soft forwards.
    He would have removed Lin off the depth chart instead of Toney Douglas or not included beverly period.
    I love Beverly, no doubt, but it looks as if u r picking sides ,when your rookies have done everything you asked (excluding Royce) and yet someone who plays a position which is not in high need of change (pg vs pf) is getting actual minutes while they r riding the d-league bus

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe he looks awful in practice. We just don't know. Obviously he was called up for a reason. Why would they do that if they didn't want to utilize him?

9. Yaowza!

Yaowza! Member

Dude will pick up 6 fouls in the first quarter. He ain't ready.

He DOES need time on the court to get ready though. Best scenario is for Patterson to get re-injured and force McHale's hand. If he throws anyone except Donuts or Jones in there then we know that the Rox are doing it wrong.

10. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Dmo needs to play better to get playing time... simple truth.

11. Arthurprescott2

What? The best case scenario is PPatt/Morris get traded for a decent, serviceable PF on a reasonable and short contract, and DMo/Jones can step in to fill back-up minutes. Just need to get PPatt/Morris out of here as soon as possible.

12. jrobich

jrobich Member

We run plays?

13. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Not sure why you think McHale is going to get fired. I think McHale is doing exactly what Les and Morey want him to do, and the Rockets have performed much better than most believed they would for the season. The Rockets haven't played well the last couple of weeks, but for the season they have done well.

On almost any fan message board, you have fans complaining about the coach. The fans always think they could do it better than the coach. McHale will only be fired when the Rockets have rebuilt the team and they are under-performing. That time may eventually come, but it's at least a couple years down the road. McHale isn't going anywhere anytime soon. McHale has done much better this year than was expected, and Les and Morey are probably thrilled with his performance.

14. M4-Nightvision

He is big enough to play some center , with his shooting ability he can spread the court.

15. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Wolf don't belong in doghouse.

Meanwhile in Russia:
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. SunsRocketsfan

17. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Morey said Donatus and Jones were victims of the emergence of Greg Smith.

He has also said, what's the alternative? Have bad players?

Expand the rotation I suppose. Certainly with this recent string of losses you would think they deserve a shot.

18. quadsas

quadsas Rookie

rumors about him killing it in practice don't make much sense to me - he was always better when it matters rather than in practice. although it's definitely possible - he should absolutely dominate soft ass Rocket bigs.

19. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i just snarfed my OJ. that is freaking priceless! repped repped repped!

20. chief

chief Member

lol,Me too....And im getting sick of players b****ing about PT..