1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donaghy reveals anti-Yao bias in 05 playoffs

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DesiDishoom, Jun 18, 2010.

1. DesiDishoom

DesiDishoom Contributing Member

Not something we didn't already know, but here's further proof that Mark Cuban's whining worked in the '05 playoffs and the NBA provided a clear directive to the refs to focus on Yao's play, and specifically moving screens and travelling.

Link

Directly from Tim Donaghy:

BOOO :mad:

Fresh off the heels of Team USA's refereeing debacle, it seems as though my teams are never free of ref bias/awfulness. Depressing, i know.

2. GlenRice

GlenRice Member

I think we should all move on.

3. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

That series is right there with 93 sonics, and 98 jazz. I actually think that series might be # 2 behind the 98 Jazz.

4. Hayden_SFC

Hayden_SFC Member

Like you basically said, nothing new to learn here, but it's still disappointing to know the NBA influences games so much.
    Of course they would target Yao.

5. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

It's certainly time to move on.

6. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

old news.

still sucks.

let it go.

7. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

It's okay to move on now

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

The nba had 200m watch a reg season game between bucks and rockets. Why would the league not want yao in the finals? What did a travel or moving screen have to do with yao and tracy shaq-manning crucial 4th qt free throws. What he said is 0. They didnt say call those plays, just watch them closely.

9. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

I don't know if you can move on from something like this. Of course I want to believe that refs are objective, but it's obvious that the veteran refs are partial to certain teams and players.

Case in point, last night's game. In the final minutes, the Lakers get absolutely every call that they want. Crawford? You bet.

10. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Still one of the most painful series.....the way it ended, that I've ever had to watch.

Yao and TMAC were at their best together.....loved that team.

11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Can you imagine if that team had guys Scola, Brooks, and Chase? Wow.

12. ILoveTheRockets

Fans "moving on" is exactly what the NBA and Stern wants. I say keep Tim Donaghy in the NBA spot light. It's good for the fans IMO.

1 person likes this.
  13. leebigez

codman, the celtics gave up 23 offensive rebounds! If they limit them to 12,they win the game.

14. bucket

bucket Member

You know who's a trustworthy guy? Not Tim Donaghy.

15. conundrum

conundrum Rookie

What about Jose Canseco?

16. ChumpCity

ChumpCity Member

Neither was Canseco and he was pretty much spot on.....

17. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Fair stat. I'm more or less talking about the refs choosing which fouls were going to be called as fouls, or as JVG calls it, "anticipating the contact."

18. rocketfan20

rocketfan20 Contributing Member

Agreed! When I hear "move on" I think move on from what? The league has never admitted to any of this or addressed it's problems.

Stern is a coward who basically got away with bullying Van Gundy into not speaking the truth because his fragile ego couldn't handle admitting how corrupt the whole league's officiating is and how horribly he's managed it.

If the league isn't ever forced to admit to any of this, then it's just going to continue. The only disinfectant for corruption is sunlight, so anybody that thinks that pretending this didn't happen is a good policy is only going to guarantee the same corrupt officiating continues.

Stern may get praised for now, but history will ultimately expose him for the coward and bully he is.

19. leebigez

codman, both teams were in the penalty about the same time,but the celts were making fatigue fouls and shooting long jumpers. If the celts take care of the glass in the 1st half,the game wouldve been over.

In regards to 05, what did the refs have to do with 4th qt missed free throws game 4? How about game 7 ass kicking? Wouldnt stern benefit having yao in the finals over the spurs?

20. meh

meh Contributing Member