1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

D'Oh!bama: D&D puts pressure on our democracy

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, May 10, 2010.

1. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

ok, before "some" get their panties in a wad, that's not a verbatim quote, but it's pretty clear he'd view the D&D in the same light as the iPad, iPod, Xbox, or PS3, none of which he knows how to work:

[rquoter]"You're coming of age in a 24/7 media environment that bombards us with all kinds of content and exposes us to all kinds of arguments, some of which don't always rank that high on the truth meter," he told the students. "And with iPods and iPads, and Xboxes and PlayStations — none of which I know how to work — information becomes a distraction, a diversion, a form of entertainment, rather than a tool of empowerment, rather than the means of emancipation. So all of this is not only putting pressure on you; it's putting new pressure on our country and on our democracy."[/rquoter]

an odd suggestion from a president who insisted on keeping his Crackberry. still, when the POTUS announces that free and open debate is inimical to Democracy, it begs the question:
    How's that hopey changey thing workin' out for ya?

[​IMG]

2. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Look, basso! He's talking about you!

3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just when you thought a basso thread couldn't get more stupid.

I know why his comment threatened you. Obama was telling the people to be discriminating and discerning in what they read. He was in no way suggesting that information was a bad thing.

It's good for Obama to warn people that they could end up like tea baggers who protest over things that just aren't real due to misinformation. The more selective the audience is when it comes to this kind of information the better.

The only reason Obama would think the D&D was anything bad is because of threads like this, that misrepresent people's words and ideas.

It's a strange world you live in, peddling and dealing with misinformation and dishonesty for a majority of the time. I hope things go better for you and your sad little life. I really do.

1 person likes this.
  4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

5. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I can't help but agree with Obama on this one. For a while Xbox was the nemesis of my GPA. Look at the fact that almost every college student has internet access and yet most professors would say that the average college student is getting dumber and dumber every year. Or look at the fact that the average American 30 years ago had twice the vocabulary they do now. Obama is right, technology serves our society as a distraction, not as a tool for better things.

The irony is, that philosophy seems so Republican in nature, but let's flame him on anyways right?

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

What he's saying here is so obviously correct, I can't imagine how anyone can take offense to it.

7. basso

Supporting Member

fixed.

8. Day

Day Member

Like most Presidents he likes something when it works to his advantage and dislikes something that works against him. Although I don't know of any other President that is so blatant about it. He definitely sets himself apart from the rest of the President.

9. conquistador#11

I don't think Obama would even know we had a D&D forum. He would spend all his time in the NBA threads, arguing that jordan was better than hakeem. He would eventually get banned.

1 person likes this.
  10. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Yes that's fixed alright. Now that it comes from an owner of the Times it really put it in its place.

11. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Examples?

12. Day

Day Member

off the top of my head only a few examples...
    1) media
    2) lobbyist
    3) Wall street (this might be an unfair example)
    4) Health insurance companies
    5) Social networks/technology
    6) Protesting

and again I said all Presidents like something when it is their advantage and then dislike it when its not. I just think he is a little more outspoken about it than most Presidents.

13. basso

Supporting Member

to be clear, what i find "remarkable" is not his apparent unease w/ technology (although that is surprising- he sounds like Bush The Elder struggling w/ a grocery scanner), but the idea that debate is somehow at odds with democracy. had Bush The Younger made such a claim, there would be howls of protest, and weeks of denunciations from the NYTimes, HuffPo, WaPo, et al...

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

What i find remarkable is that you sit around and debate with an ipod or a playstation. On the other hand, I bet those are the only arguments you ever win.

15. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

He never said that debate was a problem, he said that liars are a problem, which is ultimately why you take issue with his statement. You can't stand the mirror being thrown up in your face because you are a liar.

16. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

First of all this is nothing like the grocery scanner thing. Number two, GladiatorRowdy had it right. His issue isn't with technology at all, but with dishonest information, lies, etc.

If you'd like to pretend like my post was the NY Times telling you that, rather than it coming from me, you can. It would really fix it.

17. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

That distraction keeps me employed, a roof over my family's head, and food in our mouths.

Technology is just a red herring anyway. The real issue is a person's judgement and common sense.

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I hate to even suggest that I agree with the OP, but Obama cleaned up in campaign funding

on the internet

1 person likes this.
  19. AGBee

AGBee Member

The cute thread title inspired me to refer to basso as dumbasso in the future.

20. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

What if we all just STOPPED replying to basso threads. Just imagine it. I know it's a hard to stop but we should all try?

Seriously, starting tomorrow, just completely quit replying to any thread basso starts. No joke, who is with me?