1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dog Adoptions/Animal Shelters

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Buck88, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Buck88

Buck88 Contributing Member

I am going to be getting a dog soon and wondered if any of you had any suggestions on which shelter or rescue program to use. It will be my first time going this route as I have purchased or been given my other 2 dogs. I did a google search and found plenty shelters and rescue programs - they all seem ok. So, I was just wondering if anyone has strong feelings one way or the other about any particular group. SPCA, Lab Rescue of Houston, Humaine Society, etc.

BTW - I will most likely be wanting another Lab since I just lost one to old age (13 years). I had to put her down about a month ago and I am just now getting over it (crazy how they really get into your heart). I have 1 other dog who showed up at my house about 2 years ago and would not leave (Husky) and I think she's ready for a new playmate as well.

2 people like this.
  2. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

This is how everyone should get their dogs. Props, dude.

3. kona-

kona- Member

I have always gone to the SPCA. I have 2 great dogs and both came from them!

4. kyle_R

kyle_R Member

Got my girl from a shelter, I'd give up everything I own for her. SPCA located around the 290/610 merger, it's a pretty big one compared to several around town. If you're close enough, I suggest there.

5. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

My childhood dog taffy, a shih tzu poo, and current 17 m/o golden lab ellie both came from Citizens for Animal Protection ( CAP).

They are a kill shelter, but honestly no-kills are really rare in houston.

Both dogs from CAP have been wonderful. They're easy to deal with and they do a good job selecting responsible people to adopt.

6. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Just wanted to put in another plug for animal rescues. Our family dog is beyond great, and we got her at the Humane Society in Houston about 5 years ago.

7. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

I have had a cat and a dog from SPCA. I will never get another dog from anywhere else.

8. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

My fresh over the boarder neighbors decided to get an alaskan malamute puppy and tie her up outside and never train, walk, feed, play, etc. I called the spca but they were worthless. I eventually took her in. Luckly for her, it was in the winter... i mean she had to sit tied to a tree for a week until they moved her to the other side of the yard and tie her to a fence. She would be out there in the rain, sitting in her filth. If it were summer, she would have died, no question in my mind.

I got her a friend (cat) at the SPCA right off I10, inside 610. Everything went pretty smooth, I'd recommend looking there.

9. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

10. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

S.P.C.A for sure, love my dog from there. Don't use the A.K.C. they make you do so much paperwork and really drag out the process.

11. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Got my dog from CAP and they were incredibly helpful to me.

Some other shelters/rescue groups to consider:

BARC - they have come a long way and do a much better job at caring for and placing animals

Corridor Rescue
    - their focus is on dogs abandoned near Little York and 59N (a frequent dumping ground for pets)

Barrio Dogs
    - their focus is on rescuing dogs in the "barrio" communities

Buster's Friends - No particular focus other than to rescue

Lucky Dog Rescue - Same deal, no particular focus

Scout's Honor Rescue - Again, no particular focus

Wherever you decide to seek your next dog, please make sure to bring your current Husky to see how they get along. I'd also recommend looking for a male dog, as 2 dogs of the same gender can sometimes become overly competitive.

And please, please, pretty please give the mixed breeds (mutts) a chance - they're going to be the healthiest and most mentally sound dogs you can find. For an explanation for why this is true, check out Animals in Translation by Temple Grandin. I just finished this, and it was an incredibly enlightening read on animal behavior. I've already made some adjustments to my interactions with my dog Mina based on this book.

12. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

I had a bad experience from the animal shelter on Canino Road about 10 months ago.

Adopted a beautiful four month old yellow labrador retriever
    He apparently had gotten distemper and I had to put him down :( it was pretty terrible.

13. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Props on this gesture dude. I found my parents American Dingo through a shelter. The shelter had named her Gracie as she had a Grace period of 3 weeks until they put her to sleep and she was put in the paper, plus she was only one year old. Needless to say I was up there the next day. Such a gorgeous dog and a great family member.

I also found my Boxer back in August through Lone Star Boxer Rescue. We're going through the growing stages right now, but she is beyond awesome. Love this pup!

14. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Excellent job getting a rescue pet. That's terrific. Both of mine are from rescue groups, but they are in Los Angeles so I can't help you with specific ones.

Just make sure you allow your other dog to meet potential new ones before you adopt.

15. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

Kudos on doing a great thing! We adopted our first dog from Petsmart via BARC and got our second dog as a stray in our neighborhood. Great dogs :)

16. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Another proud rescue shelter dog owner here. She's three today-ish and we couldn't be happier with her. Ok, well, if she'd stay out of the garbage that would be nice.

[​IMG]