1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does Toronto really have no say in where Bosh wants to go?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by meh, Jun 26, 2010.

1. meh

meh Contributing Member

With recent moves made by Chicago and Miami, it's clear they can likely sign Bosh and someone else for the lesser-max. But OTOH, by throwing away their picks, they also have less to offer to Toronto in any S&T. I'd go so far as to say they have basically no one Toronto would want, unless Chicago is willing to part with Noah... which seems unlikely.

So if Toronto sees these teams with capspace but crap roster, what are they going to do?

Bosh: I want to go to Miami to play with Wade, or NY to play with Lebron, or Chicago to play with Rose.
    Colangelo: Well, unfortunately those teams have no one I care about in any S&T. But Morey called me and is willing to give me a sweet package. So you can either S&T to Houston, or you can leave $30 mil guaranteed on the table.

What does Bosh do in this situation? Sure, Houston may not be his Plan A, Plan B, or Plan C. But we all know athletes want money. And if coming here ends up getting him the most money, why wouldn't we be in contention?

2. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

it's whoever wants to bluff

3. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

I think if he is unrestricted he can sign anywhere no problem. He will lose maybe $10mill over course of a 5 year contract but I think that is about it (when your contract is 80+ million dollars, 10 million isn't a huge deal).

I mean I hope Bosh wants that 10 mill and that or some of the Rocket's marketing efforts make him come over, but I don't know that it will.

4. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Bosh has indicated his willingness to help Toronto with a S&T so they're not left out in the dark, and there's the added money he gets, probably a little from column a and a little from column b

5. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Bosh's agent would then invite a third or fourth team in to swing a S&T deal. An agent's greed is probably the only thing that supercedes a player's greed. It's the same way Tellem wanted TMac in New York. We were ready to have him sit all year if nobody bit and sure enough the Knicks came around with the help of Tellem I'm sure.

6. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I think it is pretty much mostly Bosh's choice. They definitely want to walk away with something (Toronto). So they would like him to go to a team like Houston who has assets they covet. But the bottom line is we have to sell Bosh on Houston first. The biggest selling points I think are...

1. We have a playoff team that could jump to a championship team with his addition

2. We have a huge following in CHina that will keep him in the All Star game for years to come.

3. We have a state with no income tax so he can keep a lot more of his money

4. He will become famous in China and sell more shoes and suff over there.

5. The cost of living is so much cheaper than those other areas and he will be able to have an amzing house here.

6. There's alot of stupid hot women here who love athletes so he can get laid as often as he wants (okay thats true for most big cities but alot of athletes like it here)

7. meh

meh Contributing Member

Except Toronto can give Bosh a six year contract.

Please list such a 3-way where the 3rd team isn't completely screwed. If you're going with the T-Mac example, at least understand the difference in terms of cap and talent ramifications.

I'm not saying we don't have to sell Bosh on Houston. Simply that Toronto could be the key factor in making him come here.

If he gives Miami a 90, and Houston a 85, then that extra $30 mil likely helps a lot. if he gives Miami a 90 and Houston only a 50, then we're likely out of the running regardless.

8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Toronto has the most to lose. Bosh has all the leverage...

9. meh

meh Contributing Member

And if Bosh's "leverage" gets Toronto next to nothing, what's that so-called leverage? If the difference between letting Bosh walk and getting super-low 1st rounders, what leverage does Bosh have on Toronto?

10. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Does Bosh have any empathy for Toronto? Does who they get have any affect on his conscience? That's really our only ace in the hole. The Rockets could probably give Toronto the best package.

But I'd think he would not care that much, or even care about the extra $30 of guaranteed money. If I were a young NBA star, my first concern would be competing for a ring because that is the motivation that drives the work. My second concern would be who's my coach and who's on my team since you spend such a huge amount of time with them during the course of the year, it's like choosing your friends and family. My third factor would be where I get to live (having one of those Miami modern compounds with an ocean view and monster cigarette boat ready at the dock would be tough to beat for a winter home).

Money would only be my fourth concern. Having $40 or 50 million in the bank will get you everything you want. Competing for rings will get you opportunities for more if you want it. So I would be inclined to sign a UFA deal with the team that fulfills concerns 1-3 if I had to. (so much for Toronto's leverage)

And last would be concern for Toronto. It's a business, all you owe them is to fulfill your contract.

#10 Dubious, Jun 26, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  11. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

At the end of the Day Bosh can sign where ever he wants but if he wants a true max contract with max years then he has to include Toronto in the deal.

Bosh made $15,779,912 last season. If he chooses to sign with another team with out the use of a sign and trade he is eligible for a 8% raise for 5 years. I he chooses a sign and trade deal that involves Toronto then he can receive a 10.5% pay raise and 6 years.

You do the math if you want but when talking in millions of dollars that is a lot of money. I would say that Toronto may not have the final word on where Bosh goes but they do hold some substantial influence on his decision.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#Q80

#11 crash5179, Jun 26, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  12. VBG

VBG Member

EVEN in a sign and trade Toronto has no say. The other team can just fleece Toronto.

IF Bosh says he wants to come to Houston, all Houston has to do is match salaries. As long as they don't think they're not negatively impacted, they'll have to accept.

Toronto has almost no say.

13. Rox_fan_here

Rox_fan_here Contributing Member

Positive thread,

I like our situation. At the end of the day I think for several reasons we have the inside track to getting Bosh and am pretty sure we will get it done. My only hesitation is what we will give up to do it.

14. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Between Hill, Patterson, Scola and Jefferies you could give up any two for Bosh and still be overloaded at PF.

Scola seems like an attractive asset for the league's most international team.
    Jefferies is serviceable and really has to be included for salary match and he is expiring.

I wouldn't mind being stuck with Bosh, Hill and Patterson. Of course it would still take more to the point of hurting (AB and Calderone etc.)

15. Raven

Raven Member

How does any team work two sign and trades and have anything left to build around their two new star players? I'm still skeptical about this "dream team" scenario.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Toronto has no say at all.....none, nada, zilch.

Did Orlando have any say when Tmac wanted to go?

A player holds all the cards as a free agent.

DD

17. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Technically this is a correct statement... unless Bosh wants max money.

If Bosh wants max money he has to go through Toronto and I don't see Toronto taking back someone else's crap just to say they got something for Bosh.

I guess it all boils down to what is more important to Bosh. Max money and choosing between a couple of different Cities based on what Toronto is willing to accept or turning his nose up at millions of dollars to select a city that has nothing Toronto wants.

Miami is a perfect example. What do they have that Toronto would want? Beasley?

18. meh

meh Contributing Member

It seems many people still don't understand what I'm talking about. Which is weird, because I'd think most people understand the concept of money. In this case, millions of dollars. If you look at the history of free agency in any sport, money >>> everything else. Sure, players will lament sometimes that they shouldn't have taken so much money to be in a losing situation. But that doesn't mean the next guy will learn that lesson. In the end, money talks.

With the CBA going to change drastically next year because the owners are losing money left and right, players will never see these kind of contracts again. Given this, the potential 6th year of Bosh's contract could very well be much more than what he can get in a new deal in 5 years. And this doesn't even take into account the fact that he can turn into Yao or T-Mac half way through his contract, and never get anything significant after this contract is up.

Now, I can see Toronto making a S&T with Bosh to a team with capspace if they offer something decent. But right now, I'm saying that those teams won't even offer anything remotely good. NY can offer David Lee, but Lee's not going to play in Toronto. Chicago has gutted its entire team, and only has Noah as a player Toronto wants. Miami, of course, simply has no one. From Toronto's perspective, these teams can barely offer anything better than nothing. So why let Bosh get everything he wants, if the team doesn't benefit?

1 person likes this.
  19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

meh, great post as always.

I guess the question for Toronto is.....if Bosh says he wants to go to NY, Chi, Miami then Toronto could not comply with a S&T (since none of those teams have assets Toronto wants) OR since all of those teams are "under the cap" Toronto could just trade Bosh for a HUGE Trade Exception and future considerations. That TE is an asset in some regards. The question is does Toronto not want to comply with Bosh's request? At the end of the day I think they make the TE move to get something.

But I agree 100% that the Rockets asset package is better. So it really comes down to having Bosh like the option of the Rockets. Even if the Rockets aren't his first choice...if we are "close enough" to his top choice, he might just say screw it and come here without waiting around to see what everyone else is doing.

1 person likes this.
  20. mickey_angelo

mickey_angelo Member

While technically correct, that all changes with a S&T. If Bosh tells Toronto he wants to come to Houston, but the Rockets package isn't appealing to Toronto they can let him walk. It obviously wouldn't have to be an equal talent exchange , but if what the Rockets offer is completely underwhelming Toronto can say say good luck with that, since the Rockets don't have cap space to sign him out right. So to answer the OP's question: Toronto does have a say on where Bosh goes, but only if he chooses a team without cap space such as the Rockets.