1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does the Texans brand mean anything special to you?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Brando2101, Dec 29, 2014.

?

Does the Texans brand mean anything special to you?

1. Yes

34.1%
  2. No

65.9%
  1. Nimo

Nimo Member

or both. Houston Impalas!

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

You're right, someone like McClain panders to the fanbase and turns guys like me off. It's all personal feel with me. I do not embrace the brand, I just root for the team. It's like American Idol, Kardashians or McDonalds, highly successful brands I don't care for or associate with.

3. nigma2000

nigma2000 Member

I'm one of the few who prefer the Oilers name, colors, and history then to the Texans. Look at the traditional teams in the NFL and what do they mean to the league. The Steelers, Packers, Cowboys, Browns, and Redskins all have a lot of tradition regardless of them winning or not.

Why is it that Michael Jordan is hailed as a hero when he requested to change the losing culture of the Bobcats name back to the Hornets, but if we request the Oilers name back people get all upset here?

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The fans and coverage are way worse than the rockets and Astros. Something about popularity breeds stupidity.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

No one would be upset at that. Bud Adams just owned and took the rights to the Oilers name.

6. mick fry

mick fry Member

This city has got some of the biggest whining, crying, never happy, looking for anything to b!tch about fans in the country. Just sad! Hey when yall get through complaining about the teams name maybe you can go find another team to root for, like the "jets" oooooh nice or the "*Giants" wow why didnt we think of that one, the "Packers" really?, or arrrrr the "Buckaneers". Bunch of pansy a$$es!

7. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

The Texans are a complete afterthought outside of the immediate Houston area. It was the same thing when the Oilers were in town. The more things change the more they remain the same. In the end, it is success on the field that gives a team an identity. And it is the absence of that success by Houston professional football teams that is the root of this state of affairs. Say what you will about the Cows - their arrogance, sense of entitlement, their obnoxious fanbase, their consistent flameouts over the past 5 years - but when all is said and done football fans in the city of Dallas can still point to five Lombardi trophies. At last count, that's five more than football fans in Houston can. If I had a word to describe professional football in Houston that word would be futility. Maybe BoB will break the cycle, maybe not. There is always hope. But as fans in places such as Cleveland will tell you, hope is not enough. All I know is that in my 50 years of following Houston professional football, I have seen this story play out before.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Gotta agree, the Texans really do have a terrible fanbase for the most part, but you can bet that as soon as the Texans win something those same terrible fans will act like they always supported the team. Casual fans are the worst.

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

What a joke. Aside from Cleveland, this fan base has been served up the biggest steaming pile of crap in the entire country.

We have a baseball team that for 50 years has one exactly one league pennant.

We have had 2 different pro football teams in town, and neither one has even been to a conference championship game in the Super Bowl era. We can't even get to the game you have to win in order to qualify for the Super Bowl.

Our greatest success is an NBA franchise that won 2 awesome titles...but now is working on one of the most impressive 15 years of playoff futility in the league. One playoff series won since then...in a league where more teams make the playoffs than don't. Just super.

I'm blown away these franchises get the support they do. They don't deserve it frankly...the fans deserve better.

10. Nimo

Nimo Member

So you're whining and crying about fans that whine and cry?

11. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

How about you both rank the fan bases of all 32 NFL teams since you both know so much about where the Texans fans rank.

It's worth noting that the Texans have sold out every game ever. That means their fans shell out tons of cash every year for a team that continues to disappoint and whose mediocre series of 8-8 seasons is the only thing that keeps them from the worst record for the last 12 years. Considering the Texans are also one of the most valuable in the NFL, I assume that means they sell a lot of merch and a lot of people watch the games but I'm just guessing on that.

Lastly, you two are b****ing about the fans (and others on this board) when you have been here for practically no time at all. That is not saying that your opinions are valid but you have not been through the bad and the little good with the rest of us. That isn't too say that there are longtime posters that aren't down on the team but at least they have been through it all.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

This is just one board, and it's not even a football board. I've been a Texans fan since day one, and it's pretty clear that a lot of people here aren't actually Texans fans given that more than half say that the Texans brand means nothing to them.

I'm sorry but when I see "fans" predicting 4 win seasons and then looking for reasons to b**** when the team goes 9-7, it rubs me the wrong way. Anyway, I shouldn't have said anything, go back to whining about this loser franchise (that has only 2 losing seasons in the last 8) that you allegedly support.

13. Remii

Remii Member

Just because Texans fans haven't been members of clutchfans doesn't mean they haven't been going through it. This is more of a basketball site than a football site anyway _ which is why it's called clutchfans....

But I agree with everything else you said though. You can't b**** about a fan base that sales out every game. That's just stupid.

14. mick fry

mick fry Member

Hey look at my posts I already said this franchise is one of the top valued in all of sports. I am the first to speak out on the ineptitude of ownership in all of Texas not just Houston because I think its a shame but to cry about the teams name is just lame. Maybe its because I am a Texan, i am proud to be a Texan not just a Houston Texan.

15. Brando2101

If you think that the Texans fans whine more than almost any fan base then please rank the fan bases in the NFL. You are making a comparison. I'm fairly sure you don't know what you're talking about when it comes to the other fan bases. Not sure if you are a member of fan sites across the league and post their too.

The great bobby determining who is a real fan strikes again. Give up the god complex. Also, for the 20th time, please rank the NFL fan bases if you are going to put down the Texans fans so many times. Remember, The Texans fans are one of the least intelligent fan bases in all of sports.

It's a fact the Texans had the easiest schedule in football and 67% of their wins came from teams who won 4 games or less. 5 of those 6 wins came against teams that won 3 or less. Not acknowledging that FACT represents either a lack of understanding of an NFL schedule or straight denial.

#115 Brando2101, Dec 31, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Why cant you? The owner cant b****, he's getting paid the money. What value is there for me if the games sell out? This thread is about me. And you. Not people making money off us.

There are people that purchase iPhones, an item that sells out but don't like to associate with the Apple culture like a lot of other iPhone fanatics do. Same with new Jordan's, Tesla vehicles, the McRib, etc... I like a Coke every now and then but you're not gonna catch me at a Coke swap meet wearing a Coke jacket buying Coke memorabilia.

Just because something is successful and/or you like something doesn't mean the brand resonates with you. Some people buy iPhones because it's a quality phone, others buy it because they're enamored with Apple products, because they associate with the brand, they fully embrace the brand and all the connotations that come with it.

#116 Ziggy, Dec 31, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
  17. Remii

Remii Member

The name is cheesy dude... There's no getting around that. And to make it worst _ that was a name reused from the Dallas football team... Yukkkk....!!!!

18. Remii

Remii Member

Well Ziggy _ we all have a right to our own opinions and Clutch made this site so we can voice them. And I see nothing wrong with the fans who voice their complaints nor do I see nothing wrong with the blind faith fans who think we're going to win the super bowl next year. But the blind faith happy go lucky fans who complain about fans who aren't the same as them are ignorant.

19. Brando2101

I was in favor of the Appolos. Very cool reference to space city and fits in nicely with the theme of the other 3 pro teams in Houston.

20. mick fry

mick fry Member

What teams name isnt cheesy? Get over it! Oilers wasnt cheesy? Just so called fans wanting to gripe. As for other fans bases and their forums? I dont know and dont care but I do see the ones on here boohoo-ing about the name. Just silly.