1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does the "Superman" nickname annoy you?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rox4lyf, Dec 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

I don't know about you guys, but hearing Dwight Howard be referred to as Superman more than he is referred to as his real name really gets me peeved. Sure, he started getting the nickname after his Superman dunk during the all star game, but when people start hyping him up to be the next Shaquille O'Neal or Moses Malone, it gets annoying fast; especially people like Stuart Scott, who literally orgasms everytime he does a Dwight Howard highlight.

Shaq WAS and IS still THE Superman. You know why? Because his play warrants that nickname. You have to be DAMN good to be called Superman because the comic book Superman was unstoppable, and Shaq in his prime was an unstoppable juggernaut. Dwight is not at that level quite just yet. On a side note, I'm surprised Shaq hasn't made a bigger deal of Howard stealing one of his nicknames.

You can't be Superman if you don't command double and triple teams and you can't be relied upon on late game situations. You can't be Superman if you get beat by Chinaman. Howard's stats do sound lovely, and in the era of statistics and hollinger rankings, they become the law of the land. However, stats can be misleading upon watching the actual game. Why can't we just go back to the good old days when watching the actual game was how we can determine how great a player actually is. Hakeem and Shaq are the most recent examples of players who wowed on the court and dazzled on the stat-line. Howard has yet to reach that potential.

Dwight has not reached his prime yet, and maybe he will become the Superman that David Stern, ESPN, and the NBA front office wants him to be, BUT as of right now, he is by far no Superman. I get the feeling that Stern and the NBA needs a new center to market now that Shaq is on the downside of his career and they're looking at Dwight to be the guy who takes the torch. As a Rockets fan, it's a shame to see Yao not receive the media attention he deserves. The most I ever see him on ESPN is him getting dunked on or him getting laughed at. I understand that the face of NBA big men simply cannot be held by a foreigner, let alone Yao, since it may alienate those pro-USA fans that are still pervasive in certain parts of the country, but Dwight is overhyped to an extent that it is almost undeserving. Dwight's a great player, and I want to see him do well, but the amount of attention and media love he gets is sometimes unbearable when us Rockets fans are fortunate enough to have a great center play right before our eyes.

-----------
    Superman who?

2. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

No, it doesn't. Not at all. It's just a nickname.

3. Steve_Francis_rules

It does really bother me, but mostly because it is a complete ripoff of Shaq.

Let me see... a young, physically imposing center for the Orlando Magic that goes by Superman. Where have I heard that before?

4. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

WTF? This rant is stupid, immature, slightly racist, and we are all dumber for having read it. Get a life dude. It's just a nickname. I rarely even heard people refer to Shaq as Superman anyways, he certainly doesn't have a monopoly on somebody else's name.

5. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

It is annoying, yes it is.

6. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

It is annoying yes, but a rip off? Superman is the number 1 superhero of all time, his name is going to be used for generations.

Will there be another "superman" in the NBA? Yes. Does Howard deserve that title yet? NO!

7. foodworld

foodworld Member

I like Dwight Howard. But that Superman dunk wasn't his best work even in that contest.

8. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

I like the nickname for Dwight. He's big, strong, and he FLIES. Not to mention his personality is more of a goody-two-shoes type like Supes.

Shaq is a big ****** who makes absurd statements and can't be moved. His nickname should be the juggernaut, b****.

9. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Does Greg Oden deserve to be in the top 5 centers in the nba yet? Nope, but I swear he was ranked fifth when I watched the Cavs vs Rockets game.

NBA goes where the money goes. So if popular players like Howard called himself superman, then NBA will do everything in it's power to make sure the first superman was black.

10. rocketman1979

rocketman1979 Contributing Member

my feeling is that Dwight Howard has already reached his prime. Its all downhill from here on out.

11. conquistador#11

Superman would hit his free throws. Dood is more like the green latern.

12. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

It doesn't really fit him... He's more king kong than superman.

13. deekay209

deekay209 Contributing Member

Are you talking about Shaq or Dwight?

14. kingk0ng

kingk0ng Member

I AM DWIGHT HOWARD!

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Do you know that the word you used is a derogative term to Chinese, equivalent to the "N" word to blacks?

16. kingk0ng

kingk0ng Member

Does that mean Frenchman is also a "derogative" term to french people? or Englishman a "derogative" term to the people from England?

17. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

This is stupid for a number of different reasons, first and foremost is that you're not even making a valid comparison. For your response, you should've tried "Englandman" and "Franceman".

I'm not even going to get into the ACTUAL reasons why you're ignorant.

18. conquistador#11

what really is annoying is the lebron hype with the magic fairy dust! They even had a tribute to it during yesterday's game. To even name a shoe after that...pathetic. Charles barkley was doing that with the chalk when lebron was in diapers. :rolleyes:

19. ldg

ldg Contributing Member

you are annoying and a racist.

20. ldg

ldg Contributing Member

do some research before you embarrass yourself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.