1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does the no step back defense work?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRealAllpro, Apr 23, 2019.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Harden has missed open floaters as well, not just the ones Gobert has contested.

But yes, they've let the Jazz employ fouls as a defense to the Rockets this series. They are holding Capela's arm when Harden goes into the paint so he can't jump and Gobert is jumping at an angle when he goes at Harden. All the freakout about the foul on Gobert because he didn't Harden's arm was stupid. He jumped into Harden at an angle in the paint. It's a damn foul.

2. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

It was two straight games in Utah with us winning the first one and the league stepping in to mandate a game 5 in the second one. Don’t take any film of what is allowed in Utah and believe that it will translate to the rest of the playoffs at all. The NBA will greenlight our safe passage to round 2 tonight, having obtained its necessary revenue from game 5 and in dire need of the revenue it stands to gain from a 7 game heavyweight fight between Houston and GSW in round 2.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The Capela drag down is particularly problematic
    He has more one handed rebounds last game
    Than all year

Rocket River

Blurr#7 likes this.
  4. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

He was called for a travel on a play where he took an extra step to the right of the basket. Not sure if that's the one you're referring to.

As far as a classic Harden Euro step where he's hardcore taking a step to one side and then leaping to the other, I haven't seen it in this series and frankly it's been very rare this season.

I understand it's a move that puts a lot of wear and tear on the knees, but that would be very effective, especially since they're daring him to go one side and his defender is trying to poke the ball away from behind while he drives in a straight line.

Just an idea.

5. Mathloom

Gobert's standing reach is 9'7. His footwork is mediocre. What sets him apart is his timing and length. With those characteristics, I think a floater is just about the worst shot you can take. It's just straight up for Gobert, he gets higher than anyone in the entire NBA and the straight up jump reduces the likelihood of getting called for a foul. Harden and Paul are both struggling with that shot from my eye test.

I don't think Gobert has the dexterity to recover on a Euro step, and personally I do not recall the period of Harden struggling to get a Euro step off against Gobert. If anything, it used to work better against taller, slower guys.

If Gobert had that kind of footwork, they wouldn't be keeping him away from the perimeter so profusely imo.

6. justtxyank

Perimeter and paint are different. On the perimeter there is so much space that if you work him you can get by him. On a Eurostep you get by him to go up for the shot he just puts his hand out.

7. Mathloom

On a Eurostep executed properly, his feet are iced and can't recover. Harden did this for years, it was his signature move. I don't see a difference between the Eurostep you're describing and just a regular drive. How is Gobert staying with Harden so meticulously in the scenario you're describing?

They are insistent on Gobert staying home no matter what, so we've barely seen him out on the perimeter. I don't think that will change, they know we'll toast him out there.

8. justtxyank

The Eurostep is in the paint. It has Gobert with his back to the basket recovering as Harden goes by him by putting arm out to the side.

9. Mathloom

I think we're just in disagreement that Gobert can/can't make that recovery. The ball would be on the opposite side of Harden, for Gobert to block that he must commit a clear foul imo. Being instructed to deny the drive left makes this even more suitable I think.

10. RocketOrg

RocketOrg Member

The Jazz have figured out that we shooting over 53% of shots from beyond the arc. So, they’re standing behind Harden forcing him to drive the lane with Gobert waiting in the middle. The best way to counter this is to plays 5 that can shoot from the outside to pull Gobert away from the basket or put a 5 in that can utilize strength and weight to keep Gobert out of the lane. That goes for Favors as well.

11. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

No it doesn't. But you know what does?

Regular season rules vs Post season rules. What kind of facking moronic sport do you have where officials change the rules during the season?!?!

Different "rules" for the same season is one of the most idiotic things I've ever heard and everyone just accepts it. Fack that.

12. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

I have been fearing the deer more than the Worriers this season, our team has been built to do one thing, and that is beat the Warriors. The Jazz may end up helping us win a championship by giving us a trial series to overcome this gimmick defense and beat the Bucks?

13. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

Time to relitigate the no step back defense!
    With 5 out AND Westbrook is it officially dead?

14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

lowry has shown that the hug tight and then flop defense works like a charm in tandem w/ silver's little striped helpers

15. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The flopping only works if Silver's Little Helpers decide it should work. I conclude the verdict on this can be "yes" or "no" depending upon what they decide. This will likely be "yes, it works" in the playoffs if it's an LA team or if it's in the 2nd round.

pippendagimp likes this.
  16. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

I’m just saying this was spot on analysis. They should have listen To me sooner ;)

D-rock likes this.