1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does the Kidd trade help us vs Dallas?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by intergalactic, Feb 13, 2008.

1. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

The Mavs have had our number for a few seasons now, and personally I think that the Kidd trade may help us match up better versus Dallas. Rafer has had serious trouble covering Harris, who always seems to be fast-breaking or driving into Yao and getting him in foul trouble.

Honestly, I don't know why Dallas would do this trade. At this point, Kidd = Rafer + better rebounding + better leadership.

While Dallas is likely to score more fastbreak points on feeds to Dirk, Terry, and Howard, they lose the one-man break of Harris, and it seems like a bad idea for Dallas to convert into a complete run-and-gun team. Now, we can just have Rafer sit back off of Kidd and help cover those killer jumpshots by Terry.

What do others think?

2. SilentAssassin

Bad trade for the Mavs, and good for us.

What are some of these GMs thinking?

I'll go out an a limb and predict neither the Suns nor the Mavs will be in the Finals.

3. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I'm going to assume u never have watched basketball before. :rolleyes:

4. intergalactic

Rafer's stats this year
    07-08 HOU FG% 0.396 3PT % 0.331 RPG 3.4 ASST 5.5 STL 1.3 TO 2.10
    Kidd
    07-08 NJN FG% 0.366 3PT% 0.356 RPG 8.1 ASST 10.4 STL 1.5 TO 3.63

Rafer shoots 3% better than Kidd!!!

Ok Kidd is clearly a better passer, too, but in a slow half-court offense Kidd's asst numbers are going to drop. Steve Nash didn't look nearly as good when he played in Dallas.

5. chuichuitrain

chuichuitrain Member

Don't fool yourselves -- this Kidd trade is MONSTER for the Mavs. As much as I hate to admit it, Kidd was the missing piece with the oncourt leadership from the PG position, and I think Mavs have a very good shot of going all the way now. :mad:

6. SilentAssassin

Who are you addressing?

I'm going to assume you've never posted in a forum before... :D

7. SilentAssassin

I didn't think PG was that much of a weakness for them.

:confused:

8. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

I think it will help Houston on defense. Might make life easier on Yao since Diop was really effective against him. Dampier not so much. It really is hilarious watching teams screw up their rotations to compete with the Lakers. At least from a Rockets perspective.....

Rockets should now be able to take every team in the west in a series. The only wildcard is the Lakers, so we will see how the team stacks up there next time we play. Before these trades, the two toughest matchups in a series for the Rockets were Phoenix and Dallas.

9. superden

superden Contributing Member

I disagree chuichuitrain. I think Kidd's leadership is wayyyyyy overrated. If his leadership was that good, the Nets would at least be a .500 team. Their team is not a below .500 team. Especially in the east with RJ, Carter, and or course BOKI.

10. intergalactic

This is not the Kidd of 5 years ago. He has significantly declined. He has two borderline allstar teammates and his team is 6 games under .500 in the pathetic Eastern conference.

BTW, I think it's time for you to remove the Darko line from your sig. It makes it look like YOU'VE never watched basketball.

11. BucMan55

BucMan55 Contributing Member

From a Rockets POV, they screwed themselves big time. Diop/Stack/George/Harris were deadly against the Rockets. They may be better able to compete with teams like the Lakers or Spurs because Gasol is so feminine and Kidd can better defend Parker, but you gotta get there first.

12. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

I think it's a good trade for the Mavericks, but Harris brought more to the table than most people realize according to what John Hollinger writes at ESPN. Also Diop defended Tim Duncan and other bigs extremely well. Looks like it's going to be on Dampier now if the Mav's are done trading.

If the rockets could just pick up a veteran PG like Sam Cassell, I really wouldn't care who they play in the playoffs.

Next hammer to drop will probably be Artest to Denver at some point soon. Mitch Kupcheck has really caused a stir. :D

13. ibm

ibm Member

agreed. and the lakers... let's wait and see how they do when bynum comes back.

14. Precision340

Precision340 Member

i'm with you.. i think it's a mistake on their end... they are giving up a lot of players that have contributed to their (regular season) success the past couple of years and a lot of members have mentioned the chemistry issue... i'll be a lot happier if they threw in JTerry though.. but rumor has it that JStack is going to get bought out and he'll come back to the Mavs... if this holds true then it could get scary

15. bbjai

bbjai Member

Im just speculating here right

but does this mean if the trade goes through

that Devin Harris is a tradeable commodity by New Jersey?

I wouldn't mind getting him at any stage of the game. The dude is straight up money

16. intergalactic

Stack is another Rocket killer, and I would be bummed to see him back in Dallas. But even so, I don't think Kidd is an improvement. Harris is, statistically speaking, a much better scorer.

Dallas made this trade to convince themselves they weren't pansies. But Dirk's pansy power >> Kidd's wife beating.

17. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Hell yes, Kidd is so overrated.

18. thewaterox

thewaterox Contributing Member

I think this weakens the Mavs. Harris always gave us fits with his speed and you know Stackhouse is a Rocket killer. Diop was the only guy on their roster that could hope to defend Yao.

19. stq

stq Member

stack is the toughest guy on their team.... bad trade for Dallas..

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

He and Terry will make their backcourt stable. Avery might have some good mismatch opportunities.