1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does storing foreign players work?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by TXRoxBBall, Jun 25, 2008.

1. TXRoxBBall

TXRoxBBall Member

I know drafting and storing foreign players overseas has worked some in the past, but I don't think it's a good way to do things going forward. Most of these guys that can't come over and contribute right away are such projects that by the time they can help they cost to much to bring over. With the declining dollar they can come out so much further ahead on the money side of things and stay closer to home (Juan Carlos Navarro). Scola was a good deal, but we've got a player with less time ahead of him then behind him. I know he wasn't intentionally stored, but I'm talking about guys like VSpan, Badiane, Lior, etc.

A team really needs to hit on draft picks as it's the cheapest way to add to your team, you can't keep throwing those picks away.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It does if you draft them in the 2nd round, but if you draft them in the first, especially late and they are locked into a rookie scale contract, they can make more money in Europe for less games played.

This is a problem the NBA is going to have to adress.....or more of the quality foreign players will stay in Europe and eventually some quality US players too, and then you have a competitive league fighting you for the better players services.

The contracts being given over there for the top players like Splitter etc, are a lot of money more than they can make under rookie scale.

DD

3. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Drafting a foreign player in the second round when nothing really valuable is available is a very-low risk move. If it works out great, if it doesn't so what? Second-rounders don't make the team more than half the time, so keeping an eye on a prospect that you are exclusive to is an alternative that isn't a 'waste' right away.

4. SLC GRIFF

SLC GRIFF Member

The league has a system in place to help develop the 2nd rounders who need more time, it is called the NBDL. The teams do not use this resource as a true minor league development tool. Instead of "wasting" a second round pick on a Euro who will never see the NBA court, they could grab that "diamond in the rough" and let him develop in time.

5. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I think a lot of gm are intrigued by the unknown. Personally, I don't think a international guy can be ur #1 guy, but that's just me. I do agree the nbdl isn't used as effective as it should. I think there are a lot of 2nd rd picks that could be developed in the nbdl, but a lot of teams would rather let the foreign club teams develop the players. Then they still have to adjust when they get here.

6. Grandpappy

Grandpappy Member

Not sure, but storing foreigners didn't work out for these guys:

[​IMG]
    Any perceived racism is derived, not implied.

But in all seriousness, it definitely works...it just takes some commitment and time. Look at the Spurs - it seems like every year there's some guy they drafted 5 seasons ago coming over to make a big impact. Give Morey a few more years, and these recent late-2nd investments will start paying dividends on a yearly basis.

GP

7. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

AK47
    Scola
    Genobli

all players drafted and stored. I'm sure there are more but that is all I can think of for now.

8. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Aside from more money (which, of course, are Euros that have a much higher value than dollars), they get several key perks -- a house, a car and their money is TAX FREE! Don't forget the side benefits of seeing Europe and learning one or more new languages.

If I were a high school basketball prodigy, I'd certainly go to Europe and make money without regulators like the AAU, NCAA and NBA looking over my shoulder. Then, if the NBA really wanted me, let them make a generous offer.

A college education is great, but, if you can make several million and invest properly, you can get your college education after your basketball career. In other words, you can do what you want without worries. That's having your cheesecake and eating it too.

#8 thumbs, Jun 26, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2008
  9. DaDakota

If Stern makes it 2 years, I think we see this happening, if it stays 1 year, they would not make enough to warrant leaving the US....

But you left out one major perk, it is 18 to drink over there.......WOOT !!! PARRRRRTTTTYYYYYYYY.....Euro style...

:D

DD

10. poprocks

poprocks Member

Did work for the Spurs the last two go arounds. First they lost Scola. Then they lost Splitter.

11. thumbs

I was adding that point in an edit as you were making the same point.

12. thumbs

The key question here is, considering the rising popularity and player compensation of basketball in Europe, whether these players will want to come back.

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

HEY EVERYBODY, DADAKOTA HAS FOUND A NEW ISSUE FEATURING AN OVERSIMPLIFIED ASSERTION THAT HE'S GOING TO POST ABOUT REPEATEDLY

[​IMG]

IT'S REALLY VERY IMPORTANT THAT WE ALL LISTEN TO WHAT HE HAS TO SAY, ESPECIALLY WHEN HE SAYS IT AGAIN AND AGAIN. BECAUSE IT'S THE LAST 500 TIMES THAT REALLY MATTER.

Of course, in reality, fringe american players and European players have played in Europe for almost the last 40 years - welcome to 1970's, DaDakota! Your leisure suit is waiting....:)

14. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

We had a thread about this. I think its real and when that age limit goes up, guys will go to europe. Like someone said, some guys whole notion is to hoop, but I don't know why america is so concerned about athelete failures. I'd rather have Korleone Young playing making 500k in europe or money in the dleague than him slinging rocks in wichita like he's doing now.

15. SamFisher

LOL - why do you think a team in Europe or anywhere else is willing or able to pay him $500 k? That's more than the annual payroll of many middle and lower level European teams.

16. DaDakota

Because NBA teams paid that much........before the age limit......

And, that is only 300k in Euros, and the top teams are elevating their payrolls......and I agree if it is for 1 year, but if you can get them for 2 years, they will probably take the chance.

It won't be a mass exodus, but for some 17 or 18 year old kids that are struggling with grades etc, it will be a viable option.

The Euro clubs are really stepping up the money in their deals, let's wait and see if they start targeting high school seniors with reasonable offers.

Honestly, would you rather go to school for 2 years, or earn 600k in Euros and live in Europe?

Especially if you are a Lebron, or a Kobe, or Beasley or Rose......not everyone will go, but some might.

DD

17. Grandpappy

Grandpappy Member

That's definitely true, but I wouldn't mind having those assets and the problems they come with.

And while Les is no Mark Cuban, he's actually pretty good about shelling out the money when it's needed - a veritable anti-Holt, so to speak.

18. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

I know this won't be particularly popular on this board, but Memo Okur was drafted and stayed in Europe before coming over to the NBA. That worked out well, so, yes, it can work.

A lot of it is that teams are just pretty sure that the Americans available just aren't good enough, so why not take a chance on a foreign guy you have a little less info on. Some chance is better than no chance.

19. SamFisher

Yes, I know it's only 300e. I also know that 300e is a pretty substantial sum when you play in crowds that number in the low 1,000's in your national league, with very little TV money and few other avenues for revenue.

Where are you getting your numbers from?

You are just pulling them out of thin air. If some team would offer a journeyman fringe talent like Korleone Young $500,000, of course he would take it. But nobody would, because he's a journeyman fringe talent.

According to most available evidence, very young american players tend to get offers that are south of $100,000 - with little chance to play or prove themselves - Again please tell me what the incentive is for teams to rent raw, unproven, unfamiliar players who want to leave anyway?

20. poprocks

poprocks Member

1969-1970

ABA Team Denver Rockets sign underclassman Spencer Haywood to a three-year, $450,000 contract (including deferred payments). Haywood is the first highly rated draft prospect for the NBA signed away by the ABA from high school. $450,000 dollars back then is worth 2.66 million dollars today.

Not saying they are gonna pay that much but still...what's stopping them from opening up their pocketbooks? Those clubs have plenty of money over there. All they gotta do is divert some Soccor money.