1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does Rick Adelman have a shot at Coach of the Year?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Johnson2000, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Johnson2000

Johnson2000 Member

i think he might able to get it this year, if he led the T-Wolves to the Playoffs. And i think he really deserves it

What do you guys think

2. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Scott Brooks or Doug Collins in my opinion, don't know if the Heat will get better through the season.

3. Johnson2000

Johnson2000 Member

Scott Brooks just won a COTY recently( would the voters give it to him again)

4. Shaud

Shaud Member

Doug Collins or Ty Corbin

5. Shaud

Shaud Member

Well you said if Minnesota made it. If they make it to the plyaoffs then yes he will be up for discussion.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

and Frank Vogle have to be the leading candidates as of now. But there is a long way to go and maybe Adelman can get into contention later on.

7. MONON

MONON Member

If they make it to the 2nd round, he's a lock!

8. Shaud

Shaud Member

Ahh good call on Frank he has the Pacers playing some good basketball.

Which makes Ray Allen comments on David West signing with Indiana over Boston more comical right now.

9. VBG

VBG Member

Scott Brooks is not a good coach though.

10. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

IF they make the playoffs, which means they'll be at or above .500 more than likely...then yes, i'd think he'd be top 3 in voting....however collins may take it if philly keeps this up...

11. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

All these awards are BS in my opinion, Rose wasn't better than LeBron or Dirk last year, LeBron should've won way more MVP titles, etc.
    Same with the coaching awards, they're basically handed to the coolest team with the best record.

12. inishi

inishi Member

Last few seasons they ended up with 22, 24,15, and 17 wins. That's pathetic. If they manage to make it to the playoffs then he should definitely be in the conversation.

13. archinkent

archinkent Member

I somehow don't think Adelman should get all the credit. They already have talents on that team, but Rambis was a terrible coach.

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'm probably one of 2-3 people here that care about the Pacers, but West's surprise decision was huge. He is so important to them, especially down the stretch in close games.

Ray Allen was being a sore loser and does look silly now. :grin:

15. Shaud

Shaud Member

I have watched them a few times. That's a scary team because they are pretty deep.

What is your thoughts on Paul George?

16. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

They vote for awards before the playoff start, so they would have to make the decision based on regular season only.

Also, historically they don't give the award to the coach that gets the team to the playoffs that is not supposed to. Typically it is given to the team that gets a top 3 seed even though they are not supposed to.

It is part of that theory that is harder to move from good to great then from bad/mediocre to good.

As good a coach as Adelman's been, also realize that they have added Ricky Rubio, Jose Barea. That is two real point guards. One who is one of the best pass first PG's they have had since Sam I Am played there, and Barea who is one of the best PnR point guards on their roster since Stephen Marbury.

That goes a huge way.

17. what

what Member

Frank Vogel is by far the leading candidate in my book. He made the pacers relevant. Beyond that, my own team with Lionel Hollins isn't doing too bad a job either considering all the injuries.

Anyone could see the twolves had talent. Adelman probably helped some, but with a team like that it's pretty hard not to win.

Other candidates: Ty Corbin and Doug Collins.

18. thething

thething Contributing Member

Doug Collins has to be the favorite right now.

If Utah keeps this up, Corbin might get it, but I doubt Utah can stay this good for a full 66 game season. (winning COY a year after Sloan retired. :))

19. Miracles Boys33

if Adelman can take the timberwolves to the playoffs then yes but for now i think doug collins would be COTY because before he went to the sixers they sucked with the previous coaches (maurice cheecks and eddie jordan) Doug turned it around and sixers are becoming a really good team

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I think the Pacers need to move Granger for a SG (hometown boy Eric Gordon?) so George can move to SF. I'm not one of those who believes he's the next McGrady. He won't be superstar but I see him developing into a key part of a championship-level team.