1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does re-signing our own free agents mean home town discount?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketSiv, Jul 1, 2001.

1. RocketSiv

RocketSiv Member

Anybody else think that Hakeem would give us a home town discount if we stuck with our own free agents. After all Hakeem was quite vocal saying the best thing we could do is keep our own free agents. Surely he knows that if we did that he would omly be able to pocket a modest 5 mil/yr deal.

------------------

2. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

He sure said he wouldn't do that before. I still believe that we can get Anderson and Norris for early bird deals meaning (help me out cap guys) that if we sign them last, we could go over the cap and still be allowed to do so.

If that is the case, we could conceivably give Olajuwon around $6 or $7 million and still give Taylor a contract starting around $5 and a half million. Help me out cap gurus! [​IMG]

------------------
    How the hell should I know why God would allow the Holocaust. I don't even know how the electric can opener works. - from Hannah and Her Sisters

3. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jeff, that is correct. According to my figures, we have 15.8 mill in cap room, including Moochie's unrenounced figure. Shandon is 2.86 mill unrenounced. We'd then have close to 13 mill to pursue Hakeem and Mo.

------------------
    "I think alot of people find Cato's game to be very offensive." -aelliott, comparing the offensive skills of Kelvin Cato and Michael Olowokandi

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Why not pursue Webber and Hakeem - with a wink-wink for Hakeem.

------------------
    Rockets' offseason tasks in order of priority:
    • Get rid of Cato under any circumstances.
    • Sign Chris Webber.
    • Re-Sign Hakeem.
    • Re-Sign Moochie and AirBullard.
    • Pick up the Langhi option for another year.
    • Trade for Bo Outlaw and Raef LaFrentz.

.....-'-.
    ../`.....|__
    /`....--`-,-`
    '-|`...o.'<-....[]
    ..\....._\__).\=`
    ...C_..`....,_/
    .....|.;----'

come back with your original name...now that everyone is changing their screen names anyway :)

5. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

Det, Hakeem isn't going to give the Rockets any discount or "wink wink" deal.

expecting him to sign for 2 and half mill or whatever is a pipedream.

------------------
    .,.·^*'´'|'\..........,.·^*'´¯¯¯'`*^·,...,/|'`*^·-,
    '|.......'|::\......,·'.....,.·:*:·,......'`i:'|.......|
    '|.......'|:::|.....;.......':,:::,:·.......';:|.......|
    '|.......|::;i - ·;i'`:,......¯¯.......,·´|::|.......|
    '|.......'´.......'|'i:::`*:~·.–·~^*'´: :'|::|.......'`*·-,
    '|........,.-:^:':'\:'`:;:: :: : : : :: ::;·'i::/`':^·.,......`'i
    '|..,.:'´:::::::::::'\| '`*^~·:–:·~^*'´..'|/:::::::::'`:^:., |
    '´:;:::::::::;:-·^*'´.....................`'*^·:;-.....:;·'
    ....`·;:·'´........................................'`^·:;·´

6. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Det, are you suggesting something like the Barkley/Pippen deal? That is certainly an interesting thought. Say Hakeem wants a contract somewhere in the $7 to $8 million ratio per season. If we want to pursue a big name free agent this season, and keep Hakeem, why not sign Dream to a $1 million low ball figure for one season, and then after the season re-sign him to a max contract (when we'd be capped out anyway, but would have Bird rights)?

The downsides are the luxury tax, and the potential for league action if the team was stupid enough to document its promise anywhere.

------------------
    I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip that I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis.

7. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

The problem with that is Hakeem. If this really is his last year, why take less to play it? At his age, he has to focus on the present rather than the future.

------------------
    How the hell should I know why God would allow the Holocaust. I don't even know how the electric can opener works. - from Hannah and Her Sisters

8. WasabiTheNinjaPimp

WasabiTheNinjaPimp Contributing Member

Maybe Jerry Kraus will want Cato to be the good veteran influence that Chandler and Curry need, and what's a mere $7mil/yr when you can get a veteran like Cato. Okay, so maybe that's not likely, but hey, this is Jerry Kraus we're talking about here.

------------------