1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does Physical play bother Dwight Howard?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mozart123, Mar 3, 2009.

1. mozart123

mozart123 Rookie

Okay, we know that Yao has something on Dwight Howard, now lets look at it this way.

There are three "BIG" Centers in this league, Howard is probably not 265 but Yao and Shaq are definetely over 300.

I noticed that Howard doesn't have his power game when he plays Shaq and when he plays Yao. Do players who're obviously bigger than him bother his play?

2. DaFranchise03

DaFranchise03 Member

definitely

That is also why Detriot almost always own him. They play very physical defense against him and he struggles.

3. DaFranchise03

DaFranchise03 Member

okay that may be wrong but they did own him in the playoff.

4. FFz

FFz Member

damn this suns game is fun to watch. Howard seems to be clueless vs guys that jsut hold their position and dont budge to him. If hayes was a little stronger he would be the perfect dwight stopper.

5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dwight is FAR away from being a dominant offensive player. Not close, He has
    ZERO post moves. He has a long way to go to be anywhere close to the Diesel...

6. mooseatwork

mooseatwork Member

Well if ur used to always being bigger and stronger than everyone on the court and your game plan is geared towards taking advantage of that (which I think Howards game is). So maybe it's not that he is bothered by physical play, it's just when he plays against bigger players it takes away his advantage

7. mozart123

mozart123 Rookie

He has some good hook shots and quickness to his game, but I agree if you keep him out of the paint, its a good way to stop him, but only about 3-4 teams could do that, the rest he destroys.

8. DaFranchise03

DaFranchise03 Member

Thats pretty much the same thing.

You take away a guy's only advantage then its going to effect his game.

9. mozart123

mozart123 Rookie

I hope orlando wins though, it would definitely help the Rockets

10. cfansnet

cfansnet Member

Good point. I think this is also why Yao sometimes gets blocked by smaller players. He's just used to a certain way of playing that he sometimes doesn't anticipate them going up so high.

Like when he was facing Brook Lopez the first time he just wasn't used to that. But after awhile he was able to adapt and dominate.

11. jlwee

jlwee Member

Dwight's game is based on his strength and power even though he has jump hooks but most of his points scored still power to the rim. But facing bigger and stronger opponents especically Yao and Shaq, his limitations are completely exposed!

12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yeah, he's limited.

The Scary part about it is...he has barely any post moves...and is averaging 20ppg.

13. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

exactly !!

Besides Yao and Shaq are in another conference. Shaq will retire real soon. Yao wont make the finals (as the team is constituted ) to face DH.

14. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

I don't think it's so much about the 'big matchups' that bother him. From what i've noticed the way to get under his skin and the way he's best neutralized is: deny him position, stand your ground and try to keep him as far away from the basket as possible. He doesn't have a good enough post game yet to feel comfortable 5+ feet away from the basket.

15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

He's got his power game tonght, they are going at it in the 4th on both ends.

16. mozart123

mozart123 Rookie

I gotta give it up to him tonight tho, he made shaq run, and he fought through it, I liked his game tonight.

i'm getting sick of Shaq's ego, he never compliments another player, even the greatest of the greats compliment other players.

Whenver Yao plays Howard, he praises him profusely, and even Howard respects Yao and speaks well of him.

17. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

Shaq is a douche sometimes.

What's funny when he criticizes Dwight is that he used to be the same player! In his prime he has some decent moves, but nobody would put him on par with Dream's or Robinson's offensive repertoire. Duncan's got more SKILL than him as well.

I don't think he understands that most of time playing he got a lot of help from the league. He would be dominant any way you slice it, but how many other guys could drop their shoulder into the defender to push him off and the defender gets the foul?

Dwight is looking pretty good. He seems to want to be his best, so if he develops any solid offense, he will be incredible.

I'm ok with that.......so long as Yao outplays him. ;)

18. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Kinda like how teams neutralize Yao by fronting him? =/

19. fmp087

fmp087 Member

If Dwight doesn't learn how to shoot the ball, and develop some post moves, he will always be a rebounding, shot-blocking, athletic big man. Well that is until his athleticism begans to decline.

20. Shaud

Shaud Member

And neither will DH (as his team is constituted).